St Mary's County Commissioners

itsbob

I bowl overhand
If state government is going to leave it to local and county school districts I want my opinion to be known. As a parent of a middle schooler we LOVE not having to go to school until after Labor Day.

Don't really care about what the out of touch state Senators think, but our child loves experiences over presents and the week before Labor Day gives us a chance to give him those experiences without fighting the crowds at every venue across our country.

Whether it's a campground, Luray Caverns, Smithsonian Museum, or an amusement park, every day the week before Labor Day is Maryland Day, and we take advantage of EVERY single day.

You can even go to the Outer Banks at an off season rate AND have the beach practically to ourselves.. We personally think this was one of the best decisions to come out of Annapolis in a generation.. don't screw it up for us.

glhs837

Power with Control
Hahahaha, look at you, thinking you can escape the bootheel of Annapolis on your neck :) Good luck. I do mean that, I do hope Hogan can pull it off. Traditionally, though, once they set up the veto override, it's done.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Hahahaha, look at you, thinking you can escape the bootheel of Annapolis on your neck :) Good luck. I do mean that, I do hope Hogan can pull it off. Traditionally, though, once they set up the veto override, it's done.
Ahhh, but the state isn't chaanging the start date, just giving the power to dictate start days to local school boards.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
This whole push back for the Labor Day start date is led by a handful of school systems, primarily the two Baltimore area ones, Montgomery, Prince George's and, at least originally, Calvert.

The reality is that the school year isn't lengthened as far as days in school goes, just an increase in training days for staff.

I will say it got old going in the middle of August for a week or more of meetings and ending the third week of June with another week or more of meetings.

Some of the Labor Day rationale makes sense. Even before Hogan mandated it we always had about 20% or so of kids whose parents didn't make them come to school until after Labor Day.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Hmmmmmmmm.......you think the teachers Unions have something to do with this?

Don't have a clue. The associations don't develop the school calendar in any event, that's done by the Central Office administrators.

MSEA opposed it but it opposes anything proposed by a Republican Governor, witness gambling. Ehrlich wants it and it's the worst thing ever. The next year O'Malley proposes it and they're all in.

PeoplesElbow

I never understood going to school before labor day, never seen it until I moved to Maryland.

We went to school right after Labor day and finished up by Memorial day.

August was for band camp, football camp, etc.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Don't have a clue. The associations don't develop the school calendar in any event, that's done by the Central Office administrators.

MSEA opposed it but it opposes anything proposed by a Republican Governor, witness gambling. Ehrlich wants it and it's the worst thing ever. The next year O'Malley proposes it and they're all in.
You just answered my rhetorical question......

If the Unions weren't pushing it, it wouldn't even be an issue......

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
You just answered my rhetorical question......

If the Unions weren't pushing it, it wouldn't even be an issue......
Yes it would. You have to remember that school is used as day care. The more days kids are there the less time they have to **** and smoke weed.

Now, I know what the base of your argument is, "the hog trough teachers just want more money". The reality is that teachers get paid for X days (usually about 190. PG teachers go in 2 more unpaid, or still did before I retired) no matter when they fall between July 1 and June 30.

The biggest push back has been from Central Offices.

TCROW

If state government is going to leave it to local and county school districts I want my opinion to be known. As a parent of a middle schooler we LOVE not having to go to school until after Labor Day.

Don't really care about what the out of touch state Senators think, but our child loves experiences over presents and the week before Labor Day gives us a chance to give him those experiences without fighting the crowds at every venue across our country.

Whether it's a campground, Luray Caverns, Smithsonian Museum, or an amusement park, every day the week before Labor Day is Maryland Day, and we take advantage of EVERY single day.

You can even go to the Outer Banks at an off season rate AND have the beach practically to ourselves.. We personally think this was one of the best decisions to come out of Annapolis in a generation.. don't screw it up for us.

Hear, hear! That’s a great thing to do for your family. I hope your middle schooler is able to continue that tradition with his family.

awpitt

Main Streeter

I'm sure you're already involved with you kid's school. This is an opportunity to become more involved. As one who was into Booster and PTSA organizations, I found myself sitting on a few of the school redistricting committees and the school calendar committees. I found all of them very worthwhile. SMCPS involves admins, teachers, parents, and, yes, students in these processes. That never happens at the state level.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
And if they do have them start before labor day, kids need to be excused for one family vaca somewhere in the school year. No questions asked, no need to validate why they're taking a week off, and the ability/time to make up all work missed that week.