St. Mary's County Youth NFL Flag Football

Zguy28

If the county is taking over, I think they will all be traveling to Calvert for games. The Raiders are already part of the Calvert league so that won't change. From what I understand they arent being included in the county takeover anyway.
The Raiders could still join the St. Mary's league as a club with the Hornets, Braves, and Blue Raiders. Its not that they were not included, they declined to participate, just like the other three could've declined.

And Calvert really isn't that far when you think about it. What is the furthest away you'd have to travel? Dunkirk? (I'd travel that far just to play on that field, it's very nice)

angelbaby

The Raiders could still join the St. Mary's league as a club with the Hornets, Braves, and Blue Raiders. Its not that they were not included, they declined to participate, just like the other three could've declined.

And Calvert really isn't that far when you think about it. What is the furthest away you'd have to travel? Dunkirk? (I'd travel that far just to play on that field, it's very nice)

I like the fields in calvert also. When you live in lexington park lettie dent is a hike also. Sometimes you have to make the sacrifice for your child. Socki, I understand where you are coming from it is frustrating sometimes.

sockgirl77

I like the fields in calvert also. When you live in lexington park lettie dent is a hike also. Sometimes you have to make the sacrifice for your child. Socki, I understand where you are coming from it is frustrating sometimes.

I make enough sacrifices for my children. Right now, traveling to Calvert for sports will not be one of them. He'll stay in flag if the tackle league does not get straight to were he can be in a St. Mary's ONLY league. :yay:

Zguy28

I make enough sacrifices for my children. Right now, traveling to Calvert for sports will not be one of them. He'll stay in flag if the tackle league does not get straight to were he can be in a St. Mary's ONLY league. :yay:
You can only do what you can do. If you can't, then just go with Flag. Nothing wrong with that. Personally, I love flag football, it seems like the kids have more pure fun and parents and coaches don't put as much pressure on them.

sockgirl77

You can only do what you can do. If you can't, then just go with Flag. Nothing wrong with that. Personally, I love flag football, it seems like the kids have more pure fun and parents and coaches don't put as much pressure on them.

I really do want my son to switch to tackle next fall. I keep hearing that it's better off getting them used to it early but we'll see.

Tripleh20659

Flag is cool and all, but flag is to tackle, like men's softball is to baseball.

It is "pure fun" and doesn't require any skill (other than "speed"), little-to-no coaching or strategy.

Zguy28

Flag is cool and all, but flag is to tackle, like men's softball is to baseball.

It is "pure fun" and doesn't require any skill (other than "speed"), little-to-no coaching or strategy.
It depends on the rules. The NFL rules make it a lot more interesting and you have to pass a lot more, which requires skill.

EDIT: In addition, isn't it supposed to be about fun for the players? Last I checked its not supposed to be about the coaches or their strategies or whether I can beat this other coach. At least that's what all the certifying and training organizations like USA Football and NYSCA preach and teach.

Last edited:

Walt_Kowalski

It depends on the rules. The NFL rules make it a lot more interesting and you have to pass a lot more, which requires skill.

EDIT: In addition, isn't it supposed to be about fun for the players? Last I checked its not supposed to be about the coaches or their strategies or whether I can beat this other coach. At least that's what all the certifying and training organizations like USA Football and NYSCA preach and teach.

sir i it funny to think like thet i never sean kids have fun losing every game have you ever herd a parent say gee thet was fun losing 56-0 it has to be about more fun.

footballmom

sir i it funny to think like thet i never sean kids have fun losing every game have you ever herd a parent say gee thet was fun losing 56-0 it has to be about more fun.

Geez. It took awhile for me to figure out what you were trying to say, but I think I got it. Listen, there has to be a winner and a loser. All coaches can do is teach the kids how to play. Of course players and parents don't want to lose, but teaching kids to be poor sports when they lose is worse. My sons have played tackle football since the age of 4. I never care about weights of the other players or the score being run up. As long as my kids are learning to play the game of football it is good with me.

My oldest son is a middle linebacker which is a very physical position. He has also played flag football in the spring for 5 years. It is good conditioning for them. Flag football takes skill. You do not just run up and down the field. He had to learn plays , positions, etc. , just like tackle. If you don't know what you are talking about then be quiet. Stop trying to hurt people's feelings.

Zguy28

So, you are saying that youth football is all about winning and not about kids having fun?

That's sad that you feel that way. I think too many coaches feel that way, like its about them winning or running kids til they quit or vomit, instead of kids enjoying the games and practices. Of course winning is important, but not at the expense of kids having fun.

Here's a good article about what I'm talking about:
USA Football: 8 Tips for Keeping the Fun in Footbal

Its also outlined in the National Youth Sports Coaches Association code of ethics:

I hereby pledge to live up to my certification as a NYSCA Coach by following
the NYSCA Coaches’ Code of Ethics:

• I will place the emotional and physical well being of my players ahead
of a personal desire to win.

• I will treat each player as an individual, remembering the large range
of emotional and physical development for the same age group.

• I will do my best to provide a safe playing situation for my players.

• I promise to review and practice basic first aid principles needed to
treat injuries of my players.

• I will do my best to organize practices that are fun and challenging for
all my players.

• I will lead by example in demonstrating fair play and sportsmanship to
all my players.

• I will provide a sports environment for my team that is free of drugs,
tobacco, and alcohol, and I will refrain from their use at all youth
sports events.

• I will be knowledgeable in the rules of each sport that I coach, and I
will teach these rules to my players.

• I will use those coaching techniques appropriate for all of the skills
that I teach.

• I will remember that I am a youth sports coach, and that the game is
for children and not adults.

Tripleh20659

Thanks for agreeing and disagreeing with me!!

I did say it was "pure fun", so your EDIT: is correct, it is suppose to be about fun.

The "skill" part went hand and hand with the coaching part. Your a tackle coach, so you know that anybody can coach flag football but not tackle. The skills of passing is only for a few. Shoot there is a couple boys in that 80lb league those kids can't catch with pads, let alone no pads!!

Good for conditioning as the one mom said!

Zguy28

Thanks for agreeing and disagreeing with me!!

I did say it was "pure fun", so your EDIT: is correct, it is suppose to be about fun.

The "skill" part went hand and hand with the coaching part. Your a tackle coach, so you know that anybody can coach flag football but not tackle. The skills of passing is only for a few. Shoot there is a couple boys in that 80lb league those kids can't catch with pads, let alone no pads!!

Good for conditioning as the one mom said!
Tackle is definitely more complex, and more in depth in what the kids have to learn, that's for sure.