St. Mary's National Little League

nikisonny

Anyone have any experiences they can share about this organization? I'm considering signing up my two boys (5 & 6) for T-ball this spring. It's going to cost me $125, so I'm wondering if it's worth it. How many times a week do they practice? How many games? How are the coaches? Just wondering if anyone can tell me anything good or bad about them.

TIA.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
nikisonny said:
Anyone have any experiences they can share about this organization? I'm considering signing up my two boys (5 & 6) for T-ball this spring. It's going to cost me $125, so I'm wondering if it's worth it. How many times a week do they practice? How many games? How are the coaches? Just wondering if anyone can tell me anything good or bad about them.

TIA.

I played in little league since I was 4 up until I was to old...which was 5-6 years ago...Im not sure how much it has changed..but I recommend it from the expierences I had... :yay:

24 Karat

Lovin Life!!
Not sure...

Are your children willing to play at such a young age? If they arent interested in playing I wouldnt pressure them. Now if theyre interested you have a whole different ball game. Just my opinion though.

nikisonny said:

TIA.

My son played from his t-ball years up through little league. The coaches vary, some are new, some experienced. Some are good guys, some are jerks. I got to be both assistant and coach (no previous experience except playing) which was fun and kept me busy. Wifey was usually score keeper. All in all, if your boys want to play baseball, I'd say go for it. I think we held two practices a week, but not sure. Don't remember how many games.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
I was in the American League.. so I take it your towards the southern/western part of the county.. (valley lee, callaway, lex park, great mills, ridge in all)

But, I agree with "rat" I had some coaches who didnt know there bung hole from a hole in the ground, to some VERY VERY good coaches...

But, if I remember correctly, the younger groups practice like twice a week, and play like twice a week or somethig like that, as we got older, it was practice 2-3 times a week, games 2-3 times a week... and sometimes during the season they might wanna throw in an occasional Saturday morning thing or something....

But, if they really want to try it, I say give it a shot, if they dont like it, at least you know something they dont enjoy to much... and if they do, you know they can do it for atleast 12 more years if they like :yay:

WHICHWAYISUP?

mmm pizza
As a general rule, at the T-BALL level they practice twice a week until games start then no practice at all. Normally 2 games a week. I would recommend Little League for anyone. It is a great learning experience. My daughter played T-BALL and Roockie/Coach Pitch over the last 4 years and has graduated to girls softball this year and our family love the ability to interact and help. All of the coaches I have come across are more than happy to have the parents active in the practices and games.

RFB

True as a general rule coaches practice twice a week. But it's really up to the coach on how many practices he or she wants. The leaque lets the coaches practices as much as they want. The season starts in the middle of April, games are played twice a week. The season ends in June; kids play around 16 games. Coaches are usually parents some are better than others. The VP's of the league will give coaches teaching techniques which wll help. Highly recommended - former VP SMNLL

smilin

BOXER NATION
Lots of fun. Both of my boys played T Ball with S(aint)M(arys)A(merican)L(ittle)L(eague) -SMALL. My oldest has been an all star for three seasons and I have coached several teams. It is fun as long as you remember the cardinal rule - don't take it too seriously - these are kids playing, not the Yankees or Red Sox.
It is well worth it for another reason too. Baseball and Softball are the traditional sports down here and you get to meet all kinds of people in a nice friendly atmosphere.
I would say definitely try it. Try volunteering too, that's a great way of getting your kids to relate to you.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
CMC122 said:
Cause the starting age is 5 and if I read correctly you have to be the appropriate age by April 30.

:confused: I was 4 when I started back in 1988......(I turned 5 in December that year)

They musta changed the rules... Id still ask about it...

CMC122

Go Braves!
Softballkid said:
:confused: I was 4 when I started back in 1988......(I turned 5 in December that year)

They musta changed the rules... Id still ask about it...
It's a new rule, this is the first season it's being enforced:yay:

oldman

Lobster Land
CMC122 said:
Thanks!

He'll be 5 in June so it's a no go this season:ohwell:

5 isn't to young IMO as long as the kid likes it. It's nothing more than a structured recess period. And watching them is a blast. Some cry when they don't make it to base, some run the bases in reverse, if they do get on base they hoot and holler with joy, they throw the ball in relays to get it to where it's supposed to be, they watch the ball go by them and then run to get it and they never give up trying. Builds character and instills teamwork. After the game an ice cream cone is a reward whether they win or lose. The kids play the game and the parents get to enjoy it and hug their kid(s) afterwards.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
oldman said:
5 isn't to young IMO as long as the kid likes it. It's nothing more than a structured recess period. And watching them is a blast. Some cry when they don't make it to base, some run the bases in reverse, if they do get on base they hoot and holler with joy, they throw the ball in relays to get it to where it's supposed to be, they watch the ball go by them and then run to get it and they never give up trying. Builds character and instills teamwork. After the game an ice cream cone is a reward whether they win or lose. The kids play the game and the parents get to enjoy it and hug their kid(s) afterwards.

:high5: very very very very well said....

But you do have them parents that get a lil to serious about it... just remember, the ages 4-12, its ALL about fun, after that, it gets serious.... let them be kids.. ya know

oldman

Lobster Land
And I should have included that it's not uncommon to have as many grandparents in the stands as parents. It can be a very positive family experience in many ways.

nomoney

oldman said:
I'm going to volunteer to coach if it's needed. I can't wait.