St. Marys Reservoir

Sparx

Where is the best spot and method to catch some of the big bluegill I have heard can be caught in the St. Marys Reservoir?

T

toppick08

Where is the best spot and method to catch some of the big bluegill I have heard can be caught in the St. Marys Reservoir?

My best catches have come from a spot directly across the boat ramp, on the other side by the dam...good bedding places in the past. Use crickets, or redworms with a float for bluegill, and try tight lining with worms for red-ear(chinquapin) bream....good fishing to ya'...:buddies:

somdshootnet

A worm on a hook on a corncob bobber attached to string and tobacco stick. Don't knock it. My cousin and I have fished that lake from one side to the other over many many summers. My grandparents own the property to the Right hand side of the dam facing the dam, so I have lots of experience with that end of the lake. fish for the pans in the coves early morning and late afternoon, they don't like the clarity of the water in the mid day light and the wind has to be blowing from the 3 degrees of North direction, otherwise it's just a shot in the dark.

T

toppick08

A worm on a hook on a corncob bobber attached to string and tobacco stick. Don't knock it. My cousin and I have fished that lake from one side to the other over many many summers. My grandparents own the property to the Right hand side of the dam facing the dam, so I have lots of experience with that end of the lake. fish for the pans in the coves early morning and late afternoon, they don't like the clarity of the water in the mid day light and the wind has to be blowing from the 3 degrees of North direction, otherwise it's just a shot in the dark.

Porcupine quills.........lost art in the bream fishing world.......:coffee:

jenni4

Yay me!
omg! I love fishing for bluegills at Saint Marys!

if you don't have a boat then go to the second cove area to the left of boat ramp... you'll see some large sticks sticking out of water maybe 20 yards from shore... cast in the general direction..

otherwise if you have a boat the other side is very nice... we fish a few feet down with bobbers and crickets or worm chunks... Limit out very quick...

Sparx

Wrong again.

It's a river system.

Do you see a sign that says, St. Mary's Lake State Park anywhere?

From the DNR site:
St. Mary's River State Park is separated into two areas, Sites 1 and 2. The Site 1 area holds the 250 acre St. Mary's Lake.

If you can't answer, don't just be a smart%^&
Thank you everyone else!
I did well fishing on Friday.

From the DNR site:
St. Mary's River State Park is separated into two areas, Sites 1 and 2. The Site 1 area holds the 250 acre St. Mary's Lake.

If you can't answer, don't just be a smart%^&
Thank you everyone else!
I did well fishing on Friday.

Yeah, they call it a lake now so they can charge you for using it..

Sparx

Last time I was there it was all vehicles, honor payment system. But that was a few years back....

It's still honor but I'm sure if you read closely it's just for tow vehicles. Parking for picnics, shore fishing, hiking, etc I'm pretty sure is free.