St. Mary's Sheriff Keeping it in the family

raven

I SAID IT YES I DID !
Will what work?

How do you prevent conflict of interest within the agency and other employees?:confused:

This graduating class was also unique in that two of the graduates were the sons of Sheriff Office employees. Randall Molitor is the son of Corporal James Molitor and Frederick M. Clarke is the son of Cathy Shoemaker, Crime Lab Technician and step-son of Lt. John Shoemaker.

In addition, Graduate William C. Buckler is engaged to St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office Station Clerk Karen Black and is the future son-in-law of Captain Terry Black, Commander of Bureau of Criminal Investigation.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Happens all the time. A lot of the officers I work with are sons, daughters, wives, husbands, cousins of former and current employees. They don't have the father be the supervisor of his son and such so there shouldn't be any conflicts.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
It should work great for families with ethical values who love public service as it does for welfare recipients teaching their kids how to survive a life of government TiT sucking...:coffee:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Plus most of the criminals are family members of other criminals. They keep in "all in the family", why not the cops? I heard stories where the "dad" cop arrested the father 20 yrs ago and then the "son" cop arrests the son 20 yrs later.

catloverMD

Congrats To New Graudates!

Plus most of the criminals are family members of other criminals. They keep in "all in the family", why not the cops? I heard stories where the "dad" cop arrested the father 20 yrs ago and then the "son" cop arrests the son 20 yrs later.

Same as firefighters to farmers to lawyers to truckers-------children very often follow in parents' footsteps. It is what they are exposed to during their life and it is their interest and passion. GOOD FOR THEM!

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
I don't see a problem with it as long as the hiring practices don't become exclusionary to 'outsiders' like the way the county commission is.

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
Don't see anything wrong/weird with this. You hear all the time about cops following in their fathers/mothers/grandparents/et al footsteps.

blondie4512

The only problem I have with it is that a "relative" almost always gets picked over a better candidate... Its all about "who you know" in the county... I can't complain to much that's how I got my job, but it's still a crappy system...

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
The only problem I have with it is that a "relative" almost always gets picked over a better candidate... Its all about "who you know" in the county... I can't complain to much that's how I got my job, but it's still a crappy system...

........:killingme

On average 80% of people hired for jobs nation wide come from referrals by family, friends, or people you network with!

Last edited:

foodcritic

I didn't get it through family, just someone who knew me and was willing to vouch for my work, which was by working with them in the past... So I guess more like a referance... That's in addition to my back ground....

It does not matter. Your complaining about the system that you benefited from. The fact is most of the world works that way. I don't see what the problem be really. If you had a store and had to hire someone you would prob. look for friend or family member to fill it all things being equal from an unknown candidate. So what. I have never seen a study that suggested hiring unknown people is better than hiring someone with "connections".

tom88

It does not matter. Your complaining about the system that you benefited from. The fact is most of the world works that way. I don't see what the problem be really. If you had a store and had to hire someone you would prob. look for friend or family member to fill it all things being equal from an unknown candidate. So what. I have never seen a study that suggested hiring unknown people is better than hiring someone with "connections".
If you get hired because of your connections in goverment, I have a problem with that. If you get hired because of your qualifications, despite having connections in goverment I don't have any issue with that.

I don't think someone should be excluded from being hired just because they have a relative there, but I don't think they should get a leg up over a more qualified candidate.

It doesn't look like anyone here is saying these guys got hired over someone more qualified, so who cares.

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
It should work great for families with ethical values who love public service as it does for welfare recipients teaching their kids how to survive a life of government TiT sucking...:coffee:

Some people learn to serve and protect at their father's knee, others learn to be worthless lazy bastards at their unmarried mother's. It's all about diversity right? :shrug:

blondie4512

I wasn't complaining simply just saying, it sucks how it works out... For example, the people who may want to go into to police force, in a small county as this, its all in who you know.... But a lot of very well known larger companies are going away from the "good ol boy" system... Most HR departments will only take resumes by submitting on-line...

jetmonkey

I wasn't complaining simply just saying, it sucks how it works out... For example, the people who may want to go into to police force, in a small county as this, its all in who you know.... But a lot of very well known larger companies are going away from the "good ol boy" system... Most HR departments will only take resumes by submitting on-line...

Attachments

• tropic_movie_downeyjr1.jpg
    tropic_movie_downeyjr1.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 108

foodcritic

It does not suck for you. You got hired. :howdy: