Stall Mats

J and M

I would like to install (or have installed) stall mats. I have looked at the "stall mattress" that has the rubber piece that screws to the walls. I like that you get the benefit of the stall mat without anything leaking underneath. But, I have also seen some nice 4x8 mats that are ALOT cheaper.

Anyone have any suggestions/recommendations?

Sparks

I like the regular 4x6 mats. Put them in correctly and they should stay put. They are a huge PITA to install though.

Friends seem to scatter when you mention you need help putting in stall mats. :lmao:

J and M

Sparks said:
I like the regular 4x6 mats. Put them in correctly and they should stay put. They are a huge PITA to install though.

Friends seem to scatter when you mention you need help putting in stall mats. :lmao:

Thanks. Do you ever pull them up to clean under them or are they in there so tight that it's not an issue?

I'll have to tell my friends it's a barn party..free beer! And will only tell friends who do not have stall mats. :lmao:

barncat

What about the spray in mats? Kinda like the spray in bed liners, I wonder how much that costs?

fredsaid2

barncat said:
What about the spray in mats? Kinda like the spray in bed liners, I wonder how much that costs?

I've heard about Rumbar as an option on trailers, never really thought of it for stalls. Interesting to find out if it would work.

barncat

fredsaid2 said:
I've heard about Rumbar as an option on trailers, never really thought of it for stalls. Interesting to find out if it would work.

It works, I know of a farm that did this to the broodmare barn. They also had it set up so everything could be hosed down and disinfected.

Sparks

J and M said:
Thanks. Do you ever pull them up to clean under them or are they in there so tight that it's not an issue?

I'll have to tell my friends it's a barn party..free beer! And will only tell friends who do not have stall mats. :lmao:

My current ones have only been in use for about a month now. But the only reason I've ever seen to pull them up in the past is if they start to shift and move around.

We have a clay base and then a few inches of compacted blue stone on top of that. Make it as level as possible and then fit your mats in. If there are any cracks between them, put bluestone in the cracks and run your compactor over them again.

We did have to make cuts in some of the stalls that weren't exactly 12x12 to fit them in perfectly.

I don't anticipate them moving around. :whistle:

Sparks

barncat said:
It works, I know of a farm that did this to the broodmare barn. They also had it set up so everything could be hosed down and disinfected.

I also think I've seen this in a barn. Very cool. Helps create a more sanitary environment. I'll bet it's VERY expensive though.

Last edited:

fredsaid2

barncat said:

Is the spray on product the same thickness as a regular stall mat?

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
Sparks said:
I don't anticipate them moving around. :whistle:

My friend Percy once told me the secret to moving those suckers around is to use channel locking pliers. I tried it and damn if it doesn't work like a charm. Use one on each side and you will be surprised how easily you can move them.

Sparks

Oh, if you don't use the locking pliers, you're really going to be cursing....... It's impossible otherwise. They weigh a ton and are quite awkward.

You can also cut them with a razor knife. It helps if one person cuts and the other pulls the cut open as you go.

J and M

mygoldnhorse said:
My friend Percy once told me the secret to moving those suckers around is to use channel locking pliers. I tried it and damn if it doesn't work like a charm. Use one on each side and you will be surprised how easily you can move them.

That's a great idea. The mats in my trailer shift and I can hardly move them.

J and M

barncat said:

Can it be sprayed on surfaces other than concrete? Our floor is stone, but will need to be leveled with clay before I put any type of mat down.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
barncat said:

That would be perfect. What company?

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
mygoldnhorse said:

I'll try it this weekend, need to do a full cleaning...

barncat

I don't know who they had do it...I was in a different barn. I don't know about the bluestone or the cost, but from my experience with mats there is no such thing as a mat that does not shift so I think in the long run the spray on would be less of a headache. It was done here in SoMD so there has to be a builder (they had it done when a new barn was built) that knows about the spray on mats.

Sparks

barncat said:
I don't know who they had do it...I was in a different barn. I don't know about the bluestone or the cost, but from my experience with mats there is no such thing as a mat that does not shift so I think in the long run the spray on would be less of a headache. It was done here in SoMD so there has to be a builder (they had it done when a new barn was built) that knows about the spray on mats.

It could be Abacus Surfaces, Inc.. I believe they did the rubber pavers in the barn barncat is talking about - if it's the same place I'm thinking of. :howdy:

barncat

Sparks said:
It could be Abacus Surfaces, Inc.. I believe they did the rubber pavers in the barn barncat is talking about - if it's the same place I'm thinking of. :howdy:

They did have rubber pavers done...what a PITA trying to sweep them things...they are practical from a horse care prospective, but not practical to keep clean when you have sawdust and hay in the barn. I do not miss sweeping those aisles.

Do I know you Sparks?

Sparks

barncat said:
They did have rubber pavers done...what a PITA trying to sweep them things...they are practical from a horse care prospective, but not practical to keep clean when you have sawdust and hay in the barn. I do not miss sweeping those aisles.

Do I know you Sparks?

Not really but I think you and I have been emailing about the bay horse? Is that right? :howdy:

barncat

Sparks said:
Not really but I think you and I have been emailing about the bay horse? Is that right? :howdy:

No, I'm not at the farm any longer, been several years. Do they still have the gray mare? If so, she's super nice.