State of Emergency Declared for St. Mary's County

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

If we get a big Southern Maryland summer thunderstorm and strong winds with lots and lots of rain that comes from the west, north, or east, is it still considered a tropical storm?

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Tornado Watch for St. Mary's, Westmoreland and Calvert counties until 11pm.

Actually, most of the area is under a watch.
View attachment 158113
Now a tornado warning, severe alerts, from the end of St Marys to Ltown to California, until 11pm.

Tornado Warning
From THUR 22:31 until THUR 23:00
The National Weather Service in Sterling Virginia has issued a * Tornado Warning for... Southeastern St. Marys County in southern Maryland... * Until 1100 PM EDT. * At 1031 PM EDT, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado was located over Saint Inigoes Creek, moving northwest at 35 mph. HAZARD...Tornado. SOURCE...Radar indicated rotation. IMPACT...For those in the direct path of a tornado touchdown, flying debris will be dangerous to those caught without shelter. Damage to roofs, siding, and windows may occur. Mobile homes may be damaged or destroyed. Tree damage is likely. * This dangerous storm will be near... Saint George Island around 1035 PM EDT. Saint Marys River and Saint Marys City around 1040 PM EDT. Lexington Park, Piney Point and Tall Timbers around 1045 PM EDT. White Point Beach around 1055 PM EDT. Other locations impacted by this tornadic thunderstorm include Point Lookout, Dameron, Great Mills, Redgate, Valley Lee, Drayden, Scotland, Saint Inigoes, Park Hall and Callaway. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... TAKE COVER NOW! Move to a basement or an interior room on the lowest floor of a sturdy building. Avoid windows. If you are outdoors, in a mobile home, or in a vehicle, move to the closest substantial shelter and protect yourself from flying debris. Tornadoes are extremely difficult to see and confirm at night. Do not wait to see or hear the tornado. TAKE COVER NOW!

SamSpade

Now a tornado warning, severe alerts, from the end of St Marys to Ltown to California, until 11pm.

Tornado Warning
From THUR 22:31 until THUR 23:00
The National Weather Service in Sterling Virginia has issued a * Tornado Warning for... Southeastern St. Marys County in southern Maryland... * Until 1100 PM EDT. * At 1031 PM EDT, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado was located over Saint Inigoes Creek, moving northwest at 35 mph. HAZARD...Tornado. SOURCE...Radar indicated rotation. IMPACT...For those in the direct path of a tornado touchdown, flying debris will be dangerous to those caught without shelter. Damage to roofs, siding, and windows may occur. Mobile homes may be damaged or destroyed. Tree damage is likely. * This dangerous storm will be near... Saint George Island around 1035 PM EDT. Saint Marys River and Saint Marys City around 1040 PM EDT. Lexington Park, Piney Point and Tall Timbers around 1045 PM EDT. White Point Beach around 1055 PM EDT. Other locations impacted by this tornadic thunderstorm include Point Lookout, Dameron, Great Mills, Redgate, Valley Lee, Drayden, Scotland, Saint Inigoes, Park Hall and Callaway. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... TAKE COVER NOW! Move to a basement or an interior room on the lowest floor of a sturdy building. Avoid windows. If you are outdoors, in a mobile home, or in a vehicle, move to the closest substantial shelter and protect yourself from flying debris. Tornadoes are extremely difficult to see and confirm at night. Do not wait to see or hear the tornado. TAKE COVER NOW!

Did we actually have a touch down? I was under the impression that "watch" meant, conditions are ripe for a tornado, take heed - and warning meant, take cover, one has been spotted.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Did we actually have a touch down? I was under the impression that "watch" meant, conditions are ripe for a tornado, take heed - and warning meant, take cover, one has been spotted.
One was "spotted" by the rotational air detected in the radar. That rotational air was an indication that a tornado spawning was imminent, not that it actually touched down.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Have not seen any reports of sightings or damage yet.

SamSpade

One was "spotted" by the rotational air detected in the radar. That rotational air was an indication that a tornado spawning was imminent, not that it actually touched down.

My 12 year old was terrified. Like all kids, she thinks any tornado is going to hit OUR house and nobody else.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
We had maybe a half inch of rain and no wind to speak of. I was worried that I hadn't mowed the yard, but it will dry enough by this evening.

Grumpy

We had maybe a half inch of rain and no wind to speak of. I was worried that I hadn't mowed the yard, but it will dry enough by this evening.
Was just looking at that..figure I will cut my grass tomorrow AM..Believe t-storms are on the slate for late afternoon and evening

TPD

the poor dad
3.32” of rain in Dameron. Peak wind gust of 26mph.
2.95” of rain in Ridge.

1st day of state of emergency - I’m too scared to leave my house.