States that don't tax your retirement income

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Living by myself, that thought has crossed my mind frequently. Pretty sad to think that my death might be uncovered because someone realized I hadn't posted in this forum for a few weeks...
I'd haul yr sling off and take good care of it. So rest easy on that part...

PeoplesElbow

I would add access to decent medical facilities. I have had thoughts about WV, there are several cities only an hour or two from the DC metro.
WVU health system is quite good and very extensive they have taken over most healthcare in the state in the last 20 years. They use to send certain things to University of Pittsburgh medical system and Cleveland Clinic but I haven't heard of anyone getting sent there lately.

Clem72

WVU health system is quite good and very extensive they have taken over most healthcare in the state in the last 20 years. They use to send certain things to University of Pittsburgh medical system and Cleveland Clinic but I haven't heard of anyone getting sent there lately.
So do you have any suggestions for towns/cities near WVU or an area they service with decent facilities? Not worried about night life or entertainment. Internet is kind of important, but 5g and satellite may make that less so. Low crime is a big one. Don't mind if they make me turn in my EV at the border.

PeoplesElbow

So do you have any suggestions for towns/cities near WVU or an area they service with decent facilities? Not worried about night life or entertainment. Internet is kind of important, but 5g and satellite may make that less so. Low crime is a big one. Don't mind if they make me turn in my EV at the border.
Bridgeport, two major interstates intersect there, easy drive to Ohio, Pennsylvania, or Maryland.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Don't overlook the redneck riviera. Pleasant living down this way. Summer traffic can get a bit hectic but right now the roads are wide open. The snow birds don't seem to run the roads like the sun worshipers do.

1 drawback is we are about 50 miles from the interstate. So if you need to get out of town fast, it's an hour and a half on secondary roads until you get to put the pedal to the metal. I also think that is 1 of the reasons it's not totally overrun like the east coast beaches that are a stone's throw from I95.

Clem72

Don't overlook the redneck riviera. Pleasant living down this way. Summer traffic can get a bit hectic but right now the roads are wide open. The snow birds don't seem to run the roads like the sun worshipers do.

1 drawback is we are about 50 miles from the interstate. So if you need to get out of town fast, it's an hour and a half on secondary roads until you get to put the pedal to the metal. I also think that is 1 of the reasons it's not totally overrun like the east coast beaches that are a stone's throw from I95.

You mean along the gulf coast, right? I was never big on the beach or beach town living, and I can do without the humid summers and giant bugs. Not to mention I am too damn old to deal with hurricane BS.

I am sure it's nice, but to be honest I am looking for cozy and quiet. Don't need spring breakers in my yard or having to deal with the "bar crowd" every time I want to go out for a bite to eat.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Try Fairmont. It's between Morgantown and Clarksburg. Not far if you have to make a run up to Ruby Memorial Hospital in Morgantown.

PeoplesElbow

Try Fairmont. It's between Morgantown and Clarksburg. Not far if you have to make a run up to Ruby Memorial Hospital in Morgantown.
For a whole lot of shopping trips they would be headed to Bridgeport or Morgantown. My aunt and uncle live out east Grafton road near Colfax and do most of their shopping in Bridgeport since the Sam's in Fairmont closed.

They do have a nice place where you can shoot, ride ATV's etc whenever you want, the road to get to I-79 can really suck in the winter though.

When my aunt married my uncle and moved to Fairmont, my grandmother told her "That's where the colored people live"

stgislander

PREMO Member
For a whole lot of shopping trips they would be headed to Bridgeport or Morgantown. My aunt and uncle live out east Grafton road near Colfax and do most of their shopping in Bridgeport since the Sam's in Fairmont closed.

They do have a nice place where you can shoot, ride ATV's etc whenever you want, the road to get to I-79 can really suck in the winter though.

When my aunt married my uncle and moved to Fairmont, my grandmother told her "That's where the colored people live"
You must be talking about US50. That's a bad bad bad piece of road.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
A college classmate and friend is the Pastor at the Arden UMC in Morgantown.
It is his "retirement career" after having spent 20 in the US Army and DIA.