Steps for Purchasing Handgun in MD

C

czygvtwkr

Better get it before Obama gets in office. So how do I go about it in MD?

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Find the gun you want at either a brick and mortar or certain online stores will deal with MD now. Guns for Sale is a good one that just started dealing with MD.

If you deal with an online retailer you have to have a local FFL dealer send their info. to the retailer first, this FFL dealer will be doing th transfer for you and they usually charge their own fee $25-$40 is what you can count on for that.

Now, once the gun is in the dealer's possession you can go and start the paperwork process, there are 3 forms to fill out and you have to prove you have gone through some type of firearms training or saftey course. There is a video MD makes you watch if you don't meet that criteria.

Once all forms are filled out(make sure you take your DL) you can go home and wait for 7 days until you can take posession of the gun, as long as you "check out". Also before you leave with the gun in your possession you have to insert a MD approved gun lock, so you can either bring one with you or buy one at the same time you get your gun. The lock has to be the kind that has the rod that inserts in the barrel.

T

Tinastoy

Thanks AK.
I am looking to purchase another hand gun I already have 1. I clicked on your link and I see some of the prices. Not bad at all.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
I've got one fror you. Say I buy a controlled weapon at the gun show in Upper Marlboro. How do I take control of it? Go up to the guy who sold it in 7 days?

Buy an HBAR........ cash and carry.

If you buy a regulated gun, i.e. a handgun or "assault weapon" then yes, AFAIK you still have to wait the 7 day period.

Buy an HBAR........ cash and carry.

If you buy a regulated gun, i.e. a handgun or "assault weapon" then yes, AFAIK you still have to wait the 7 day period.

HBAR? I was thinking removable mag or one over 20 round cap. made it regulated. Or is it that in conjunction with other factors? Bipod, folding stock etc.

Last edited:

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
HBAR? I was thinking removable mag or one over 20 round cap. made it regulated. Or is it that in conjunction with other factors? Bipod, folding stock etc.

Nope, under MD law I can purchase an AR-15 designated as an Hbar (Heavy barrel) and it is cash and carry, just like buying a bolt gun. Just another reason why the whole assault weapon ban is BS. But there are so many people that don't even understand the AWB they just hear the scary words and think it is a good idea to ban them.

T

Tinastoy

Glock 19 would be my choce for a 1st 9mm.

But handle as many models as you can and pick what feels good.

That's funny you would say that. I'm looking and liking the way if feels. It's dead on target wise. One of the nicest I've held.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
That's funny you would say that. I'm looking and liking the way if feels. It's dead on target wise. One of the nicest I've held.

Well it is one of the most accurate, no nonsense guns out of the box, in 9mm especially it is about as close to 100% reliable as you can get. Parts are available at most any gun shop, magazines are standard to caliber, so what fits the G26, will fit the G19 and G17 and there is also a 33 round mag that can be had to fit it.

Here is a Glock torture test as you can see it will function almost in any condition.

Glock 21 Torture Test - Theprepared.com

UncleBacon

if you're in the military or a cop you can go to this place in Clinton called lawmens...they have the best deals around and where I bought all my guns before I got out of the navy...another good place to shop for guns is bass pro shop...they usually have nice sales

SoMdmMusician

Southern md firearms is great, he can order whatever you want.

LMAO! yeah, Mr. Bennett orders his guns through The Tackle Box and Fred's and charges you the additional fees (whoops, the cat's outta the bag now) this is why he uses the term "Local Distributor" and is the most expensive "dealer" I mean "seller" in the area.

Just got to Fred's and buy it at a lower cost. I just bought my 4th gun from them and they beat everybody else's prices, and always have.

The Tackle Box sells all there guns at the MSRP pricing, so, you're still getting over charged. They quoted me the MSRP price for my last handgun venture, and I laughed at the guy and said "are you kidding me? That price is $135.00 higher than Fred's, then I went back to the gun makers website and that's when I noticed the MSRP price, it was the same, so, now I know how The Tackle Box gets there prices, they Google them LOL!

now, do not misunderstand what my point is here, I am in no way a Fred's leadership group, I simply do what we all do, shop for the best price, and for the 4th time, Fred's has beat everybody. I told the guy at Fred's that I called SMF and he straight up told me that he gets his guns from either them or the Tackle Box.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
LMAO! yeah, Mr. Bennett orders his guns through The Tackle Box and Fred's and charges you the additional fees (whoops, the cat's outta the bag now) this is why he uses the term "Local Distributor" and is the most expensive "dealer" I mean "seller" in the area.

Just got to Fred's and buy it at a lower cost. I just bought my 4th gun from them and they beat everybody else's prices, and always have.

The Tackle Box sells all there guns at the MSRP pricing, so, you're still getting over charged. They quoted me the MSRP price for my last handgun venture, and I laughed at the guy and said "are you kidding me? That price is $135.00 higher than Fred's, then I went back to the gun makers website and that's when I noticed the MSRP price, it was the same, so, now I know how The Tackle Box gets there prices, they Google them LOL!

now, do not misunderstand what my point is here, I am in no way a Fred's leadership group, I simply do what we all do, shop for the best price, and for the 4th time, Fred's has beat everybody. I told the guy at Fred's that I called SMF and he straight up told me that he gets his guns from either them or the Tackle Box.

Others have said that Fred's is expensive, I don't buy guns locally usually, just order them online and have a local FFL do the transfer.

What are Fred's prices like, on say, Glock's?

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Gun Shows: Silverado

These guys are at Showplace every three or four months. Sometimes you can find a good deal. If nothing else you can see a whole bunch of guns, touch them, ask about them.

Buy something; get it transferred to your local FFL.

dustin

UAIOE
Before I move back to MD, say if I bought a handgun and a "restricted" semi-auto rifle (say an AK type) in VA or NC... can I just bring them in the state and put them in my house or do I have to register them through the policia? I already have a couple of long guns.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Before I move back to MD, say if I bought a handgun and a "restricted" semi-auto rifle (say an AK type) in VA or NC... can I just bring them in the state and put them in my house or do I have to register them through the policia? I already have a couple of long guns.

Dustin the way I understand it, as long as it is legal in MD you can bring it and no registeration required, unless it is something that is regulated by the ATF such as class III stuff.... SBR's, Automatic weapons, supressors ect... Those things are leagal in MD as long as all the correct paperwork is filled out and tax stamps are paid. Of course some things are legal in other states that are not here, such as "assault pistols" so that is something to be careful of.

And I am neither a lawyer nor did I stay at an Holiday Inn Express last night so take it for what is worth.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

...call the state police and get the rules and instructions in writing. Or not.