Steps for Purchasing Handgun in MD

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Check § 5-101. Definitions of the Public Safety Article of Maryland Code to see if the weapon of interest is defined under "regulated firearms". If it is a regulated firearm you need to check to see what you need to do before brining it into the state.

Happygirl

Walking for a cure!!
Is there somewhere in St. Marys where you could take a training/safety course for handguns? Also, is there a practice range anywhere local??

TIA

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Is there somewhere in St. Marys where you could take a training/safety course for handguns? Also, is there a practice range anywhere local??

TIA

Well there is Sanner Lake but they don't offer any training course as far as I know, you'll likely have to go out of SOMD for that.

CandaceMM

Ummmmm ....
BF just bought a gun and is looking for a local dealer to work with. Gun is already purchased - can any one recommend someone and what they charge to the transfer?

Toxick

Splat
Better get it before Obama gets in office. So how do I go about it in MD?

Go to downtown Baltimore. Near the intersection of Highland and Eastern Avenue. Every night around 7-7:30 you'll see a black El Dorado pull up near the Jackson Hewitt there. Inside the El Dorado is a guy named Louie.

Tell him Toxick sent you. Ask to see one of his "Space Heaters", because winter is coming. You can get one with extra "BTU"s or the kind that "Automatic"ly turns off if it tips over.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
BF just bought a gun and is looking for a local dealer to work with. Gun is already purchased - can any one recommend someone and what they charge to the transfer?

Nick Cromwell is the cheapest locally I've found, he charges $40 for handguns.

SoMdmMusician

Take your handgun training course here:

MD Firearms Safety Training

It's free and open to the public, I forgot all about this until my mind pondered the question a bit more. My wife took this, we thought it was something different other than what she did at the CCSO, it is, slightly, but, you can print the MSP certificate at the end.

BUMP-BUMP !
Dodgem

TIA

Novus Collectus

Before I move back to MD, say if I bought a handgun and a "restricted" semi-auto rifle (say an AK type) in VA or NC... can I just bring them in the state and put them in my house or do I have to register them through the policia? I already have a couple of long guns.

It is not "restricted", they are called "regulated" and no, you have to do nothing at all. You do not have to register them or tell the state you brought them with you whatsoever. Registration in MD is voluntary except for full auto.

There are items called "assault pistols" which are prohibitted like a Tec 9 or an Uzi pistol, but most of the pistols on the list haven't even been made of fifteen years and it is not that long of a list anyway. If you have one of these semi auto pistols, then don't bring it.

# An assault pistol is defined as any of the following specified firearms or their copies regardless of which company produced and manufactured the firearm:
AA Arms AP-9 semi-automatics
# Bushmaster semi-automatic pistol;
# Claridge HI-TEC, semi-automatic pistol;
# D Max Industries semi-automatic pistol;
# Encom MK-IV, MP-9, MP-45 semi-automatic pistols;
# Heckler and Koch semi-automatic pistol SP-89;
# Holmes MP-83 semi-automatic pistol;
# Ingram MAC 10/11 semi-automatic pistol and any variation including the Partisan Avenger and the SWD Cobray;
# Intratec TEC-9/DC-9 in any centerfire variation;
# P.A.W.S. type semi-automatic pistol;
# Skorpion semi-automatic pistol;
# Spectre double action semi-automatic pistol (Sile, F.I.E., Mitchell);
# UZI semi-automatic pistol;
# Weaver Arms semi-automatic Nighthawk pistol; and
# Wilkinson semi-automatic "Linda" pistol.

dustin

UAIOE
It is not "restricted", they are called "regulated" and no, you have to do nothing at all. You do not have to register them or tell the state you brought them with you whatsoever. Registration in MD is voluntary except for full auto.

There are items called "assault pistols" which are prohibitted like a Tec 9 or an Uzi pistol, but most of the pistols on the list haven't even been made of fifteen years and it is not that long of a list anyway. If you have one of these semi auto pistols, then don't bring it.

# An assault pistol is defined as any of the following specified firearms or their copies regardless of which company produced and manufactured the firearm:
# Ingram MAC 10/11 semi-automatic pistol and any variation including the Partisan Avenger and the SWD Cobray;

thanks for the info :cheers:

dustin

UAIOE

Does anyone know if a Kel-Tec PLR-16 would fall under classification as an "assault pistol". I believe it is a design unlike any of those listed, and not a variant either.

Last edited:

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Does anyone know if a Kel-Tec PLR-16 would fall under classification as an "assault pistol". I believe it is a design unlike any of those listed, and not a variant either.

I don't think it is but Novus should certainly know. IIRC, he posted on one of the boards a year or 2 ago researching the MD AP list.