Stiff necked...

seekeroftruth

Exodus 33:1 Then the Lord said to Moses, “Leave this place, you and the people you brought up out of Egypt, and go up to the land I promised on oath to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, saying, ‘I will give it to your descendants.’ 2 I will send an angel before you and drive out the Canaanites, Amorites, Hittites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites. 3 Go up to the land flowing with milk and honey. But I will not go with you, because you are a stiff-necked people and I might destroy you on the way.”
4 When the people heard these distressing words, they began to mourn and no one put on any ornaments. 5 For the Lord had said to Moses, “Tell the Israelites, ‘You are a stiff-necked people. If I were to go with you even for a moment, I might destroy you. Now take off your ornaments and I will decide what to do with you.’” 6 So the Israelites stripped off their ornaments at Mount Horeb.
Here's the link to the commentary I use.

And I will send My Angel before you, and I will drive out the Canaanite: After the sin of the golden calf, God did not deny Israel His protection. He promised to be with them in some way (I will send My Angel), and to fight for them in the Promised Land.​
I will not go up in your midst: God did say He would deny Israel His presence, or at least the near sense of His presence. We might say that God said, “I won’t stay so close to you, because I might judge you along the way — but go on and take the Promised Land.”​

You are a stiff-necked people: This phrase is repeated again. The idea isn’t only that they were stubborn, but that they stubbornly resisted God. The picture is of an ox or donkey resisting the farmer and making its neck stiff.​
These humans were supposed to be adults. But the minute God's back was turned, giving Moses the commandments, they acted like spoiled children. Dancing around a caldron like witches and wizards was not adult. Worshiping a piece of metal is not adult. These humans were nothing but belligerent, demanding Moses do this and Moses do that, while doing as they pleased.

I guess they figured it was Moses and that stick that got them run out of Egypt, and now it was up to Moses to make their life delightful or he would get an earful.

God said they were "a stiff-necked people". They were not happy about being run out of Egypt and they were not about to let Moses forget that for one second. God said the Israelites were so stubborn, He couldn't be around them all the time.

God said He would send a powerful angel to go with them the rest of the way.

God said if He went with them, they would piss Him off and He would wipe them out.

God gave them an angel to protect them from the Canaanites, Amorites, Hittites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites.

God gave them an angel to protect them from God....

They were .....

Stiff necked....

:coffee: