Stimulus Package

97reenigne

seems like if they really want to stimulate the economy... Bush would just say.. ok gas will be no more than 2.25 per gallon .. period.. then the cost of food and everything else would drop back to a normal price.. thus people would have more money to buy things...

Exactly. I would have liked to see them build another oil refinery with the billions of dollars. Which would in turn lower prices of everything else giving more people more money long term.

MMDad

Lem Putt
seems like if they really want to stimulate the economy... Bush would just say.. ok gas will be no more than 2.25 per gallon .. period.. then the cost of food and everything else would drop back to a normal price.. thus people would have more money to buy things...

Should the government just grab the oil companies and nationalize them? Are you prepared for your retirement savings and pension to disappear?

I can imagine if they nationalized our oil industry. Getting gas would be like going to the MVA. Wait five hours in line to be treated like crap by an attendant who doesn't care.

Why do people think that the government can fix anything? What makes them think that they can run anything efficiently? Can anyone give me an example where the government did anything more efficiently than private enterprise?

If you mean tell the oil companies to sell oil below their cost, good luck. They aren't charities. They'll go out of business and we won't be able to buy gas. The goods we buy at the store will not be cheaper, they'll be incredibly expensive until they run out. I hope you have a good garden so you can eat since there won't be anything in the grocery stores.

AndyMarquisLIVE

it has been dropping the last week or so. obviously no where near 2.25 but i was happy to see it had dropped a nickel a gallon at least
Really? :eyebrow:

Gas prices keep going up in Waldorf. Was $3.19, now $3.21-$3.25.

Demand increases - gas prices go up. Demand decreases - gas prices go up. Either way, the oil companies are screwing us.

Last edited:

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
Should the government just grab the oil companies and nationalize them? Are you prepared for your retirement savings and pension to disappear?

I can imagine if they nationalized our oil industry. Getting gas would be like going to the MVA. Wait five hours in line to be treated like crap by an attendant who doesn't care.

Why do people think that the government can fix anything? What makes them think that they can run anything efficiently? Can anyone give me an example where the government did anything more efficiently than private enterprise?

If you mean tell the oil companies to sell oil below their cost, good luck. They aren't charities. They'll go out of business and we won't be able to buy gas. The goods we buy at the store will not be cheaper, they'll be incredibly expensive until they run out. I hope you have a good garden so you can eat since there won't be anything in the grocery stores.

Pretty much. Anytime the government gets involved, they screw it up more than it was to begin with.

What gets me, is how many people have no understanding of basic economics.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Really? :eyebrow:

Gas prices keep going up in Waldorf. Was $2.19, now $2.21-$2.25.

Demand increases - gas prices go up. Demand decreases - gas prices go up. Either way, the oil companies are screwing us.

$2.25 in Waldorf? I'm going to rent a tanker and bring some down here. I could make a fortune!

AndyMarquisLIVE

$2.25 in Waldorf? I'm going to rent a tanker and bring some down here. I could make a fortune!
$3.25. :doh:

I'm so used to gas prices being $2.something a gallon because they have for years. I'm not used to this $3.+/gallon robbery yet. :whack:

But, if gas was $2.25/gal, I would be renting tankers as well. :lol:

the gas companies jack the prices up so that consumers are relieved and happy to pay 2.50 per gallon... wow 2.50 thats cheap... yet think back a few years when we said " I will never pay more than 2.00 a gallon"I am not saying we should nationalize gas or have the government control gas... what I am saying is put a ceiling on the price that can be charged A FAIR PRICE.. its not a lack of supply .. driving the price up ...its the oil companies taking all they can get cuz they know we will pay it! Kinda like SMECO!

its not the retailers making the money cuz the mom and pop independant gas retailer is lucky to make 2 cents on a gallon..

interesting also that Bush owns a few oil wells

Chain729

the gas companies jack the prices up so that consumers are relieved and happy to pay 2.50 per gallon... wow 2.50 thats cheap... yet think back a few years when we said " I will never pay more than 2.00 a gallon"I am not saying we should nationalize gas or have the government control gas... what I am saying is put a ceiling on the price that can be charged A FAIR PRICE.. its not a lack of supply .. driving the price up ...its the oil companies taking all they can get cuz they know we will pay it! Kinda like SMECO!

its not the retailers making the money cuz the mom and pop independant gas retailer is lucky to make 2 cents on a gallon..

interesting also that Bush owns a few oil wells

Let me attempt to add a little beer to your foam by giving you a recent history lesson.

1. Petrochina goes public becoming the worlds largest traded oil company.
2. Investors that did their homework race to buy shares.
3. China slaps price controls in the neighborhood of $2 and change on gasoline and consumers rejoice.
4. Petrochina reports hundreds of billions of dollars AS A LOSS and those very smart, very wise investors lose their money because of the Chinese government's price controls.

When oil goes up more than gasoline, as it has lately, the refiners (gas companies) refine it not because they make a profit, but because they feel obligated. Look at the balance sheets at Valero for instance. They're far from record profits with today's gas prices.

All of the easy oil is gone. Yes, you heard that right. THE EASY OIL IS GONE. Companies are re-sorting to drilling to deeper and deeper ocean depths to get it which is more and more expensive. They're increasing efficiency at existing wells, which gets expensive. They're deriving oil from the Canada oil sands and from coal, which is in-efficient and subsequently more expensive.

Guess what? The costs get passed on to you and me because someone has to pay for it.

In addition to all of this, the driver of it all, is you and I. That's right, the consumer. The demand for oil increases by the day. I hope you know what that impacts.

You want cheaper oil? You're yelling at the wrong people. Either use less, or find more. Talk to the government about Alaska, OPEC about increasing output, or Norway and Russia about drilling in the Arctic.

Amazing, isn't it?

Absolutely. :cheers:

spike2763

Let me attempt to add a little beer to your foam by giving you a recent history lesson.

1. Petrochina goes public becoming the worlds largest traded oil company.
2. Investors that did their homework race to buy shares.
3. China slaps price controls in the neighborhood of $2 and change on gasoline and consumers rejoice.
4. Petrochina reports hundreds of billions of dollars AS A LOSS and those very smart, very wise investors lose their money because of the Chinese government's price controls.

When oil goes up more than gasoline, as it has lately, the refiners (gas companies) refine it not because they make a profit, but because they feel obligated. Look at the balance sheets at Valero for instance. They're far from record profits with today's gas prices.

All of the easy oil is gone. Yes, you heard that right. THE EASY OIL IS GONE. Companies are re-sorting to drilling to deeper and deeper ocean depths to get it which is more and more expensive. They're increasing efficiency at existing wells, which gets expensive. They're deriving oil from the Canada oil sands and from coal, which is in-efficient and subsequently more expensive.

Guess what? The costs get passed on to you and me because someone has to pay for it.

In addition to all of this, the driver of it all, is you and I. That's right, the consumer. The demand for oil increases by the day. I hope you know what that impacts.

You want cheaper oil? You're yelling at the wrong people. Either use less, or find more. Talk to the government about Alaska, OPEC about increasing output, or Norway and Russia about drilling in the Arctic.

Absolutely. :cheers:

Yet the oil companies are making RECORD PROFITS!!!

MMDad

Lem Putt

Do you have a retirement plan, pension, 401(k), or TSP?

If so, you better be damn glad those oil companies are making you a good profit. You may be able to retire one day because of it.

You act like there's some big stogie smoking dude in Texas just raking in all that money. You should really look at who actually owns the oil companies.

Taking those profits away from my retirement so that you can afford to fill up your SUV isn't going to help anyone.

observer

We should jack up the price on bags of rice, wheat, grain and corn we ship over there. OH! oil went up a dollar a barrel well so did your rice dollar for dollar. If you don't like it grow the stuff yourself in your oily sand. Those towel heads are addicted to food maybe they should learn to eat scorpions, camel, or snake. America has options but the politicians refuse to do anything. Corn production in America grew 66% per acre from 1977 to 2007 and we still have millions of acres not being planted. Biodiesel can be made for .50 cents a gallon from used veg. oil. Perdue and Tyson are making 160 million gallons of biodiesel a year from what they previously threw away as chicken fat. Oregon will have over 200 ethanol plants on line by 2010. I think the towel heads are making one last decade long effort to rape the American people for as much money as they can. They feel the squeeze. Their oil fields are drying up and they are purchasing oil fields all over the globe to compensate for it. They know the American resolve will get us to independence one day.

Chain729

We should jack up the price on bags of rice, wheat, grain and corn we ship over there. OH! oil went up a dollar a barrel well so did your rice dollar for dollar. If you don't like it grow the stuff yourself in your oily sand. Those towel heads are addicted to food maybe they should learn to eat scorpions, camel, or snake. America has options but the politicians refuse to do anything. Corn production in America grew 66% per acre from 1977 to 2007 and we still have millions of acres not being planted. Biodiesel can be made for .50 cents a gallon from used veg. oil. Perdue and Tyson are making 160 million gallons of biodiesel a year from what they previously threw away as chicken fat. Oregon will have over 200 ethanol plants on line by 2010. I think the towel heads are making one last decade long effort to rape the American people for as much money as they can. They feel the squeeze. Their oil fields are drying up and they are purchasing oil fields all over the globe to compensate for it. They know the American resolve will get us to independence one day.

Believe it or not, ethanol costs almost as much as gas now. What do think would happen to the price of corn if every vehicle in the US switched over to ethanol? The obvious answer would be that corn prices would shoot through the roof and as it currently stands, ethanol would be much more expensive than gas is now. The reality is, there is no easy quick-fix answer.

Chain729

Where is the Stick of Enlightenment when I need it? How about because the demand for oil is higher today than it's ever been? How about because it increases by double digit percentage points every year? Increasing the price of a product is not the only way to increase your profits- you should've learned that in high school.

C

czygvtwkr

You do realize that the President does not have this sort of power, that would be a bad thing.

Also if there was a maximum price cap and if the company made no money off it they wouldn't make it any more and we would have no gas.

The so called "Big Oil Companies" that you blame hold less than 10% of the oil in the world, the rest is controlled by state run oil companies (Iran, Saudi Arabia etc). They are who is jacking up prices.

At least your getting a check! I get nothing because of my relocation. It adjusted me out of the income brackets needed to get the check. It would have been nice if I had actually had the money that the IRS says I made but it was all relocation expenses!

We're not getting one either, but for different reasons.

Chain729

You do realize that the President does not have this sort of power, that would be a bad thing.

Also if there was a maximum price cap and if the company made no money off it they wouldn't make it any more and we would have no gas.

The so called "Big Oil Companies" that you blame hold less than 10% of the oil in the world, the rest is controlled by state run oil companies (Iran, Saudi Arabia etc). They are who is jacking up prices.

Of course he does; he also controls our economy, crime and social security. :lol:

Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by czygvtwkr

Of course he does; he also controls our economy, crime and social security. :lol:
Don't forget hurricanes.