Stomach-churning virus hit the area-PSA

Fubar

Look my ass glows!
Folks there is one nasty intestinal virus going around-you may have had it or know someone who has!

Symptoms include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach cramps and low-grade fever. In most people, the illness lasts one or two days. It is transmitted by direct person-to-person contact.

I don't feel comfortable saying it is the dreaded Norovirus, but it sure presents itself like it.
All the local hospitals are full of patients. Calling 911 to be transported just to avoid the crowd in the ER isn't really the solution :buttkick: -unless the patient is an infant, child, elderly or frail.

There is no vaccine, cure or real treatment. Therapy consists of replacing fluid losses and correcting electrolyte disturbances through oral and intravenous fluid administration.

Hand washing and good sanitation are recommended to prevent the virus from spreading.

Stay in bed, keep warm, keep fluids (such as water, low "sugary" juice, ice cubes, green tea-NO sodas or caffeine) close by and when in doubt-call your family doctor or pediatrician.

mdgirlie

Fubar said:
Folks there is one nasty intestinal virus going around-you may have had it or know someone who has!

Symptoms include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach cramps and low-grade fever. In most people, the illness lasts one or two days. It is transmitted by direct person-to-person contact.

I don't feel comfortable saying it is the dreaded Norovirus, but it sure presents itself like it.
All the local hospitals are full of patients. Calling 911 to be transported just to avoid the crowd in the ER isn't really the solution :buttkick: -unless the patient is an infant, child, elderly or frail.

There is no vaccine, cure or real treatment. Therapy consists of replacing fluid losses and correcting electrolyte disturbances through oral and intravenous fluid administration.

Hand washing and good sanitation are recommended to prevent the virus from spreading.

Stay in bed, keep warm, keep fluids (such as water, low "sugary" juice, ice cubes, green tea-NO sodas or caffeine) close by and when in doubt-call your family doctor or pediatrician.

I got this so called "stomach flu" the day after Christmas and it hit me even harder because viruses enacts my colitis. I was sick for 5 days. Only way to cure it is time, water, rest, chicken noodle soup, and saltine crackers.

Fubar

Look my ass glows!
Rotavirus usually effects children under 5 yrs old. The virus going around now is similar to Norovirus.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Fubar said:
Rotavirus usually effects children under 5 yrs old. The virus going around now is similar to Norovirus.

Both times my <5 yr old contracted it, I did as well.

I wasn't <5.

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
wineo said:
It is one nasty bug. Husband and I both had it 2 days apart.

I heard about it on the news a couple nights ago. Sound's really nasty.

Gosh, I hate puking more then anything in this life. :barf:

S

somdebay

Fubar said:

Thanks for the heads up, but I don't get sick. Super Immune System, my white blood cells are like ninja's...can't nothing get past them, not even Jackie Chan.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Our daycare provider called and gave us the heads up, cancelled care because her son had it, Bubba's been sick all week-end, though you couldn't tell watching him.. he's still happy, smiling, and laughing.. just an occasional projectile vomit.. and exploding diaper..

If we keep the fever under control, he seems to be able to keep the vomitting under control..

itsbob

I bowl overhand
somdebay said:
Thanks for the heads up, but I don't get sick. Super Immune System, my white blood cells are like ninja's...can't nothing get past them, not even Jackie Chan.
You jinxed yourself.. make sure your next of kin lets us know when the viewing will be..

K

Katie

itsbob said:
Our daycare provider called and gave us the heads up, cancelled care because her son had it, Bubba's been sick all week-end, though you couldn't tell watching him.. he's still happy, smiling, and laughing.. just an occasional projectile vomit.. and exploding diaper..

If we keep the fever under control, he seems to be able to keep the vomitting under control..

Poor Bubba...

itsbob

I bowl overhand
itsbob said:

Thought he was over it, but no.. He didn't throw up at all yesterday, and he was eating like a fiend.. but he didn't make it through the night.

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
I don't know if any of you remember (or care) but last May, I wanna say, I ended up screaming for Kyle to help me as I was just too weak to move and surely out of anything that could possibly be left in my system from all the GI activity. He carried me to the car, then to the ER. Based on my White Blood Count (WBC) being like triple the norm - a sign of MAJOR Infection, they did a battery of tests - went through several bags of fluids and after I spent the night, they sent me home with anti-nausea meds and the like. The doc has said then, that there was a rampant virus going around. :shrug: And that's all he could diagnose it as...

bohman

itsbob said:

Our little girl had a weekend like that a few months ago. She was in a great mood, had a lot of fun that weekend, but she used up a week's worth of diapers in 2 days.

AND she passed it along to her grandparents and mother, who were all deathly ill just as she returned to normal.

BlackSheep

Watch children very carefully-they "crash" from dehydration. Use Pedialite, stay away from dairy, sugary juice drinks and sodas. Pedialyte Freezer Pops are also a cool way to help your child get the fluid and electrolytes needed to help prevent dehydration.
Most hospitals are on diversion due to folks streaming in the doors. When in doubt call your Peds/family doctor first then 911.