Stoplight Question

Crow Bait

Let's take the light out completely and just make it a 4 way stop and assume everyone is competent, it'll save a couple of bucks on electricity and cause you less inconvenience.

I never said it was an inconvenience to me. I actually make my reccomendation that a right on red should be allowed because it could level out the pulses of high volume that overwhelm the traffic lights further North.

Crow Bait

It's also a protected turn lane.

Right... that's the only difference (sortof). Infact the right turn lane begins at gate 1, so it protected here as well.

Now how about all the other driveways that join 235? Should people exiting those driveways not use the far right lane as a merge lane?

Last edited:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Right... that's the only difference (sortof). Infact the right turn lane begins at gate 1, so it protected here as well.

Now how about all the other driveways that join 235? Should people exiting those driveways not use the far right lane as a merge lane?
There's a large concrete curb that keeps the southbound traffic out of the lane, hence protected.

Crow Bait

There's a large concrete curb that keeps the southbound traffic out of the lane, hence protected.

I agree with you.... I was only pointing out that there is also a large curb preventing a vehicle from remaining in the right turn lane as they travel NB on 235 past gate one.

In other words - there should be no cars in the turn lane - so it should be safe to use this lane as a merge lane.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I agree with you.... I was only pointing out that there is also a large curb preventing a vehicle from remaining in the right turn lane as they travel NB on 235 past gate one.

In other words - there should be no cars in the turn lane - so it should be safe to use this lane as a merge lane.
People being what they are can and do change lanes in the intersection at Pegg rd.,they hit a curb trying to do it at St. Andrews church rd.

BernieP

Resident PIA

Unless you don't count the Museum and a few other driveways as places someone might slow down.

DEEKAYPEE8569

People being what they are can and do change lanes in the intersection at Pegg rd.,they hit a curb trying to do it at St. Andrews church rd.

But have you seen the one's that get in the far left-turn lane from 235, who turn left and bust a** to cut off the people in the right hand lane?
That whole 'well I got in front of you' mentality? Makes me want to catch the right rear 1/4 and put 'em in the fence, so to speak.

glhs837

Power with Control
But have you seen the one's that get in the far left-turn lane from 235, who turn left and bust a** to cut off the people in the right hand lane?
That whole 'well I got in front of you' mentality? Makes me want to catch the right rear 1/4 and put 'em in the fence, so to speak.

Well turning into Gate 1 from 235 north, at a time I know that only one lane is open, if the right turn lane is open, I will take that if there are cars in the left. Not to play "got ahead of you" games, but simply to take that open lane instead of waiting for people. I move out smartly enough that very few folks will match my acceleration, and so it doesn't interfere with them. If the front car by chance does decide it wants to be first, I drop back and fit in behind them, because the odds of two people moving out that fast is very low, so there will be a gap for me without interfering with anyone else. It all goes back to my basic traffic rule "First, do no harm". Meaning don't make anyone have to drive around you.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Well turning into Gate 1 from 235 north, at a time I know that only one lane is open, if the right turn lane is open, I will take that if there are cars in the left. Not to play "got ahead of you" games, but simply to take that open lane instead of waiting for people. I move out smartly enough that very few folks will match my acceleration, and so it doesn't interfere with them. If the front car by chance does decide it wants to be first, I drop back and fit in behind them, because the odds of two people moving out that fast is very low, so there will be a gap for me without interfering with anyone else. It all goes back to my basic traffic rule "First, do no harm". Meaning don't make anyone have to drive around you.

Well, you are one of the very few. Because, like I said, many people 'round here are just in a hurry to cut somebody off, then not go anywhere once they have done so. Also, many folks here don't even try to drive around you; they try to drive through/over you.

glhs837

Power with Control
Well, you are one of the very few. Because, like I said, many people 'round here are just in a hurry to cut somebody off, then not go anywhere once they have done so. Also, many folks here don't even try to drive around you; they try to drive through/over you.

Agreed, very few people actually take anything at all besides themselves when driving. I always get the ones waiting to enter the roadway who dart out in front of me, making me slow down to 1/2 the speed limit, then creep along. And behind me is open road clear a mile back. Friggen (beard + Cooper + Triforc sticker = geek) in a base model Mini Cooper on Willows this am, doing 37mph for most of the road. Not a blind slave to the speed limit, because he did 43 in the 30 section later on, and kept that up in the 25 section.

Another pet peeve. People who enter the breakdown lane on the opposite side so their lazy azzes don't have to actually get out of the car to check the mailbox. Holy hell, people, it's 20 damn feet tops.

Last edited:

Crow Bait

Unless you don't count the Museum and a few other driveways as places someone might slow down.

Not so different from the piece on SB 235 @ Wawa. Those entering 235 from St.Andrews need to navigate cars getting to Wawa, the insurance building, and the Starbucks/Verizon Stripmall.

After seeing this thread play out - it's pretty clear that our traffic patters are AFU. Under the current system, we are basically required to have gridlock. I'm not sure how to fix it, but it's clear that something needs to change.