Straight Irons

aero_queen

I have wavy hair and was told to try a straight iron. I've never used these, so I'm not sure if they are hard to operate or how long it takes to use one.

What is a good iron to use, that isn't cheap and will fall apart after the first use?

TIA!

There is a very good selection of straight irons at Sally's for very reasonable prices. The woman who works there seems to know what she's talking about... you can ask her if you don't get the answers you want from here.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Off the top of my head (no pun intended), I would say that you should definitely go with at least a ceramic iron. From what I've heard, Chi is the best, although very expensive.

R

Rachii

aero_queen said:
I have wavy hair and was told to try a straight iron. I've never used these, so I'm not sure if they are hard to operate or how long it takes to use one.

What is a good iron to use, that isn't cheap and will fall apart after the first use?

TIA!

I've had mine for about five years and I still works really well. It wasn't expensive either and it's not a ceramic iron. I think it's by conair. I mean I think you'll be okay with whatever u buy just get a name brand that you know has a good reputation. Know what I mean?

Also, it's not really the brand and cost of the straightener that you buy, it's how u straighten your hair. Obviously you can't take big groups of hair at one time and put it through the iron. You have to take very very small sections and gently/slowly pull it through the iron to get it very smooth.

All I know is that my hair is a frizzed up mess after I blow dry it so my straightener is a nessessity.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Ceramic is DEFINATELY the way to go; it does something to your hair that non-ceramic flat irons don't.

Also, you should be sure to use some sort of heat protective styling product when using any heat on your hair to keep it from frying. I use Ion's Straight Heat Protective Styling Mist, and whether I blow/brush it out, or flat iron it, it doesn't frizz up at all, and my hair is in the best condition it's ever been. :yay:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
crabcake said:
Ceramic is DEFINATELY the way to go; it does something to your hair that non-ceramic flat irons don't.
:yeahthat: Not only is it more effective, it's better for your hair. And you can buy a ceramic iron for $10, so they aren't all expensive.

J

Joanna

Don't get weak!

Just be sure not to fall prey to the call of "more bang for your buck"... as in, don't go for one of those "3-in-1" things that have attachments for straight iron, crimper, and whatever else. They suck. Bleh.

Good luck.

justbeachy

can be a real beach
I saw one on an infomercial the other day, but I don't remember the name. It used a burst of steam. Looked like it worked really well.

emiloch

7D Girl
I use a ceramic one from Hot Tools. Got it from the hair store by the K-Mart in St. Mary's. It works pretty well, but like people said, use heat protectant spray. Also, don't straighten it every day, because it WILL dry out and get brittle and/or break.

Good luck!