Strange Ingratitude?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Clarification...

Ken King said:
What is the problem with a criminal investigation? Did them during/after GW1 (first Gulf War). Did them when those Black Hawks got shot down on scheduled flight in the no fly zone. Did them in Nam. If something stinks bad enough to call for an investigation then damn right do it. If it was an accident, so be it. But if someone screwed up then they should be held to account for what happened.

...I am ALL for a thorough, complete investigation for two reasons:

1. If it was just an accident, learn from it.

2. If it was criminal, either a murder or simply a coverup, that is not OK.

All I was supporting in the post you referenced is that it, accidents, happens, which was in reference to a post that said it wasn't likely an accident.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Jolly...

JollyRoger said:
Thanks for helping my point here. I heard that his family wants to sue. I have never been in a ground comcat situation thank god. I have seen men die do to others mistakes on an aircraft carrier. It's part of the job. One day on my ship we had a "Rig The Bericade Drill". Anyone who has been through one knows about those deck plates they put down so the airplane doesn't slip under the wire..After the drill was over..they stowed them..but forgot to tie them down...these things are about the size of a desk top and maybe 100lbs. An A-7 turned on that pile of steel plate and blew one into a E-2c's prop...the prop disapeared. My best freind lost his arm from the elbow down when he was hit by it. There were lots of others that day in medical with pieces of that prop stuck in them. Anyway there where no law suits pending that I know of!

Again, what's your point? The incident you describe sounds like a straightforward accident and you sound very clear on the details. Did your commanders cover up evidence or not conduct a thorough review of the incident? Did they lie or withold the facts or destroy evidence?

Where's the connection?

Quotes from the article:

"I think it's another step," he said. "But if you send investigators to reinvestigate an investigation that was falsified in the first place, what do you think you're going to get?"

Officers destroyed critical evidence

top Army officials were aware that the investigation showed the death had been caused by an act of "gross negligence," the report said.

What is 'gross' negligence?

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I would think this would pertain, What evidence was destroyed? And I ask this because the story mentions his uniform being burned.. You are a frontline medical unit, I don't think your number one concern is collecting evidence and maintaining a chain of custody. As a medic I don't think they would know anything about the circumstances, other then unit, date and time of incident, and that yes he is bleeding. What do they do with ALL destroyed uniforms from dead or wounded soldiers? If they burn all of them, then there was no intent to destroy evidence, and I'm sure nobody is saving or collecting these uniforms. This is after-all a battlefield, not a crime scene, and what civilians may look at as destruction of evidence (thanks CSI) is normal SOP for their medical unit.

Now if they PROVE that there was a cover-up, then yes, people should be punished, but somethings they cite as evidence of a cover-up just don't wash.

Last edited: