Streaming Devices?

Outdoor chimney mount with rotor. There are times when the signal fades out, so I'm planning on upgrading from my small antenna to a long range antenna. There are others on here in this area that get many channels more than I do right now. There is another thread that talks about it, Dakota was saying she has pretty good reception too.

SamSpade

Has anyone tried Playstation Vue, as a service? It looks pretty good, and I was debating either that or Sling.

Clem72

Indoor antenna?

All of the websites that help you pick an antenna says I can't get anything via antenna, even a big outdoor one, and I'm only a couple miles away from you.

I put up a pretty big long rang antenna (steerable) in the attic, never could get a single channel despite it supposedly being good for 50-70 miles. The only person in the neighborhood with an outdoor antenna has it about 15 feet above the top of his house and its a solid 10 ft wide. I should ask him if he actually gets any signal.

PeoplesElbow

Has anyone tried Playstation Vue, as a service? It looks pretty good, and I was debating either that or Sling.

You can try Sling free for a week, that's what I did before I cut the cord. There are two options now, the regular service that includes ESPN and Disney and the other one that includes Fox 5, FX, and Fox Sports 1.

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!
I have a Roku. Has Netflix, Playstation Vue (which has Fox Sports, NBC NASCAR, CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, FX, FXX, TNT and USA) and countless apps.

DipStick

I have Vue now. Looked at Sling but it doesn't offer the NBC networks which was the deciding point for me. NASCAR and the Olympics are on NBC Sports and I watch MSNBC when I watch breaking news.

SamSpade

I have a Roku. Has Netflix, Playstation Vue (which has Fox Sports, NBC NASCAR, CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, FX, FXX, TNT and USA) and countless apps.

Still trying to decide between a Roku and an Amazon Fire TV device. Never used either, although I have a cheap streaming device on my son's TV. Frankly, I hate it.

Currently we use the old Wii consoles to get Netflix, Amazon and Hulu (It also gets YouTube). But that's it. The consoles are old, and it's not likely there will ever be any new stuff on them.

What I DO like about the Wii interface is the point and click. I can point to what I want, click and I have it. No arrow navigation. That's true for every streaming service.

So ---

What makes the Roku or Amazon device preferable, and which Roku would you recommend?

SamSpade

Sam if you hurry for prime day today Amazon has the Fire stick for $25.

Yeah, tried that ALL FREAKING DAY LONG on three computers and cell phone. Wouldn't let me in.
Went ahead and bought it at regular price. I was too busy losing my mind.

Added later --

Well Amazon felt bad about me not getting to use their promotional code for 30 bucks - so they gave it to me anyway. Loyal customer and all. Since the purchase was for more than 150 to collect and I spent less than that, I did even better. Good for them.

Last edited:

DipStick

Still trying to decide between a Roku and an Amazon Fire TV device. Never used either, although I have a cheap streaming device on my son's TV. Frankly, I hate it.

Currently we use the old Wii consoles to get Netflix, Amazon and Hulu (It also gets YouTube). But that's it. The consoles are old, and it's not likely there will ever be any new stuff on them.

What I DO like about the Wii interface is the point and click. I can point to what I want, click and I have it. No arrow navigation. That's true for every streaming service.

So ---

What makes the Roku or Amazon device preferable, and which Roku would you recommend?

I don't know about the others. I just have the Roku stick. Supposedly, some of the more expensive Roku players, you can plug flash drives and SD cards into for personal media. But there are countless other ways to stream content from your computer to your TV.

Roku has Google Play, which is what I download movies on now, since I have an Android phone and since you can use Google universally unlike i####.

All in all, I'm happy with the Roku stick. Plugs into my HDMI port and the power plug is USB so it plugs right into my TV's USB port. I have countless options.

Downside is my internet is capped at 250GB/month but, so far, CenturyLink hasn't enforced that cap. If they do, I will politely kirk out.

anandhad

Roku plays an important role in the field of entertainment of many people all around the world as it provides a number of channels and additional options for its users in less price amount which make the leisure time of its users more entertaining and knowledge gaining. Many types of streaming devices are introduced by the Roku Company which can be chosen by the users themselves according to their usage and necessity.