Student Allegedly Fails Assignment At Catholic College Due To Gendered Quote From Bible

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The assignment required students to “use inclusive language, unless exclusive language is used to reflect the biblical text’s perspective.” “Gendered language for God,” however, was permitted. In two instances, the professor marked wrong the student’s use of the work “man” and “mankind.”

“Both of these readings share a picture of what the earth was like before God finished his creation and before God created man,” the student wrote in response to a question about two stories from the Book of Genesis. In response to a second question, the student wrote, “God says to mankind ‘See I give you every seed-bearing plant on all the earth and every and every [sic] that has seed bearing fruit on it be your food.’”

The professor highlighted “man” and “mankind” in the student’s responses and inserted a comment that says: “Because this term is used to refer to the human species, this does not meet Spec 5. Instead, use terms like ‘humankind,’ ‘humanity,’ ‘human beings,’ ‘people,’ and so forth.”

As YAF reported, the students received a grade of pass or fail, and since the student in question was given negative marks for using the “gendered” language, they received a zero on the assignment.

“This professor docked a conservative student for following the biblical text–and using so-called ‘gendered’ language. The terms ‘man’ and ‘mankind’ are frequently used throughout the Bible–and should not be censored out by SJW, virtue-signaling professors trying to rewrite things their way. This asinine behavior and grading criteria should not be tolerated–especially at a Catholic school,” YAF’s Kara Zupkus wrote.

Zupkus added that YAF had independently confirmed the authenticity of the images the student provided.

Hijinx

I agree wholeheartedly that this way of grading should not be tolerated in a Catholic college, or in any other college.

But i would bet this Professor is not made to clean up his act.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Maybe it is just me, but the kid got the assignment wrong. He/she was told to use inclusive language where appropriate and he/she didn't.