Stuffed ham portions...

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
...so my brother is coming for Thanskgiving and I am getting stuffed ham FROM Chaptico Market. We will also be having Turkey along with all the other typical holiday fare.

5 people - (all mens except for moi)- and we would definitely like some for leftover sammiches, etc.

Brother hasn't had any stuffed ham in probably a good 10 years or more. :yikes:

How much should I order?

belvak

Happy Camper
I bet the nice ladies at Chaptico Market would be able to help you guesstimate the amount you will need! It really depends on how much everyone likes it and how much they may eat. Also depends on how thick (or thin) it is sliced. I would call the market!

Caution

I would order 4-5 lbs.

LOL x2. Last time I had people over for Thanksgiving and fixed stuffed ham I could not keep people out of it and had to stash what was left in the back of the fridge.

If it were 'just' for Thanksgiving 4-5 lbs would likely suffice. But if they were going to be staying for the entire day or maybe even for a couple of days I would double that.

LOL I had woken up in the morning and had them in the kitchen eaten stuffed Ham for breakfast while I was trying to get coffee going. :killingme

Bann

PREMO Member
I bet the nice ladies at Chaptico Market would be able to help you guesstimate the amount you will need! It really depends on how much everyone likes it and how much they may eat. Also depends on how thick (or thin) it is sliced. I would call the market!

I did! I should have added that I am just double checking the amount. :biggrin: Gal suggested abt 1-1/2 to 2lbs for our number of people. I am inclined to go with 3lbs. and I figure there were plenty of experienced 2nd opinions availabe here! :yay:

KDENISE977

What is this stuffed ham craze? :confused: I've never had it but it's all I hear about around the holidays? What's it stuffed with?

Bann

PREMO Member
Hmmmm. ok I am up to 4 - maybe 5lbs.

If I had the time to stuff one myself I would but I don't. This is not the main dish & brother is the only guest and is not staying with me - he has other friends in the area he will be visiting as well. I would make him a care pkg to take though

Caution

Hmmmm. ok I am up to 4 - maybe 5lbs.

If I had the time to stuff one myself I would but I don't. This is not the main dish & brother is the only guest and is not staying with me - he has other friends in the area he will be visiting as well. I would make him a care pkg to take though

Ya We make it ourselves but it is time consuming. I cook the Ham and usually end up stuffing it and the rest of the bunch usually slice and dice the ingredients.

Having 3 people to do it is about perfect. 4-5 lbs should suffice I would think. More is better of course, as it keeps well but can be a bit expensive if you really don't need that much.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
LOL x2. Last time I had people over for Thanksgiving and fixed stuffed ham I could not keep people out of it and had to stash what was left in the back of the fridge.

If it were 'just' for Thanksgiving 4-5 lbs would likely suffice. But if they were going to be staying for the entire day or maybe even for a couple of days I would double that.

LOL I had woken up in the morning and had them in the kitchen eaten stuffed Ham for breakfast while I was trying to get coffee going. :killingme

The following morning, throw it in a frying pan to warm it up, some eggs over easy, and seeded rye toast. Now that's something FIT to eat. :drool:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Funny, I just got home after a stop at Chaptico Market but for chicken. :lol: At $10.99 a pound, it's gone up in price this year - McKay's and Dent's are the same price.

I bought about a pound last week and had a healthy 4 sandwiches out of it, so I would probably get about 4-5 pounds like others have suggested. Also order it ahead of time because it goes FAST this time of year.

What you don't eat can also be frozen or made into unstuffed ham soup. :yum:

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I did! I should have added that I am just double checking the amount. :biggrin: Gal suggested abt 1-1/2 to 2lbs for our number of people. I am inclined to go with 3lbs. and I figure there were plenty of experienced 2nd opinions availabe here! :yay:
I think everyone here telling you 4-5lbs are letting their love of the delicacy cloud their judgement. :lmao:

The ladies at the market are right. About 1/4lb per person is plenty. I've bought platters of it for the guys at work (construction electricians) and ALWAYS have plenty left over. They eat like ANIMALS!!!

Think about it.... who could eat a full pound of cooked hamburger.... on TOP of a full T-giving meal?!?!? Right, no one.

They will take a few slices on their plates along with turkey, taters 'n gravy, green beans, yams, corn, crab imperial, ambrosia & bread. We haven't even mentioned appetizers.

4-5lbs, you will have at least 3lbs left over.

I'll bet ya a ham sammich on it! :yum:

Bann

PREMO Member
Funny, I just got home after a stop at Chaptico Market but for chicken. :lol: At $10.99 a pound, it's gone up in price this year - McKay's and Dent's are the same price.

I bought about a pound last week and had a healthy 4 sandwiches out of it, so I would probably get about 4-5 pounds like others have suggested. Also order it ahead of time because it goes FAST this time of year.

Oh, I had already ordered it because I wanted to make sure I was on the list and I ordered 3 lbs. - but I was assured I could add more to the order if I changed my mind! I was going to call back tomorrow.

I think everyone here telling you 4-5lbs are letting their love of the delicacy cloud their judgement. :lmao:

The ladies at the market are right. About 1/4lb per person is plenty. I've bought platters of it for the guys at work (construction electricians) and ALWAYS have plenty left over. They eat like ANIMALS!!!

Think about it.... who could eat a full pound of cooked hamburger.... on TOP of a full T-giving meal?!?!? Right, no one.

They will take a few slices on their plates along with turkey, taters 'n gravy, green beans, yams, corn, crab imperial, ambrosia & bread. We haven't even mentioned appetizers.

4-5lbs, you will have at least 3lbs left over.

I'll bet ya a ham sammich on it! :yum:

:high5:

I was hoping you would weigh in on this - I'm going to keep it at 3 lbs. and not stress any more over it! :love:

I don't really care for it after it's been frozen, and I don't want too much left over with all the leftovers I will already have. :yay:

sanchezf

Little ol' Me

Do you have a recipe for stuffed ham soup ?

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Do you have a recipe for stuffed ham soup ?

No, I don't but will try very hard to get it for you as it was incredible!

2A was going to make stuffed ham for a party at my house, ran out of time, then improvised and made a soup that was to die for! McKay's also made a similar soup several years ago and it was *almost* as good.

I will make it my mission to get the secret of making it out of one or both. :lol: