Sugar Scrubs

SoMDGirl42

Has anyone here tried them?

My daughter and I both have very dry skin. It was recommended we try sugar scrubs. So I researched the internet for homemade sugar scubs. We made some yesterday.

Let me just tell you, this stuff has really made our skin soft. I didn't think it was possible, but it is. Not sure what the lasting effects will be, but today our skin feels the best it has in years~!

Interested in finding out if anyone has used this long term?

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I would never put sugar on my skin to use as a scrub. It's too harsh. I like finer, softer scrubs that don't cause irritation.

Jameo

What?!
Has anyone here tried them?

My daughter and I both have very dry skin. It was recommended we try sugar scrubs. So I researched the internet for homemade sugar scubs. We made some yesterday.

Let me just tell you, this stuff has really made our skin soft. I didn't think it was possible, but it is. Not sure what the lasting effects will be, but today our skin feels the best it has in years~!

Interested in finding out if anyone has used this long term?

I made one that was brown sugar, coconut oil and honey I think. I use the scrub about once a week and use coconut oil as a moisturizer.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I would never put sugar on my skin to use as a scrub. It's too harsh. I like finer, softer scrubs that don't cause irritation.

You use fine sugar, not the regular stuff. Mix it with olive oil or coconut oil like Jameo said and it's wonderful.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I have extremely dry skin and have tried sugar scrubs in the past. They do leave your skin soft, but I would not recommend long term use. I would suggest only using them on problem areas - ie feet, elbows, etc.

Also you should not use them daily and don't use them around your face.

As Chasey mentioned it is extremely abrasive. Fine for a one time use on problem areas once a week.

I have found my skin likes it much better if I just baby oil up before I get out of the shower and let my skin air dry.

SoMDGirl42

I made one that was brown sugar, coconut oil and honey I think. I use the scrub about once a week and use coconut oil as a moisturizer.

straight coconut oil as a moisturizer?

I used brown sugar grape seed oil as the base for the sugar scrub I made.

ZARA

One thing to keep in mind concerning sugar- It will feed bacterial growth (zits/pimples). So if you have acne, I would not advise using sugar scrubs.

A few beauty tips from my modeling days: (Take it or leave it, just sharing in case it works for you)

A healthy facial cleanser that does not have all the chemicals you find in the beauty isle:
(Do not use these more than once a week.)
Mix:
1 egg
Juice from one half lemon
Beat until smooth. Apply to face and allow to dry. Wash off with warm water, then splash ice cold water on your face for a couple of minutes. (This closes your pores so make up does not get inside and cause acne)

Exfoliate:
Pour about a tablespoon or two of regular iodized kitchen salt in your hand and a couple of squirts from Cetaphil facial cleanser, rub hands together to mix, and then wash your face.
DO NOT SCRUB VIGOROUSLY. Wash gently.
I always do this in the shower AFTER I wash my hair so any shampoo/conditioner is washed off my face.-Can be used on your whole body. Does wonders for your legs!
(p.s. If salt is too course for your skin, you can also use baking soda)

Daily cleanser- Cetaphil is great. (IMO)

Best make up remover- Baby oil.

Short story on makeup remover: My best friend came over and I noticed her nails looked like crap. I had done her nails the day before and asked her wth she did to mess up my hard work. She tells me, “I had to take the polish off because I was taking off my make up last night and the remover removed the polish on a couple of them and it looked bad.”

I am staring at her dumbfounded and replied, “You put something on your face that is strong enough to remove NAIL POLISH?!?” I turned her onto baby oil. I usually use Dial soap and it does great for removing the oil residue.

Everyone’s skin is different and finding that perfect combination that works is not easy. This works for my skin and I have dry super sensitive skin.

Last edited:

SoMDGirl42

One thing to keep in mind concerning sugar- It will feed bacterial growth (zits/pimples). So if you have acne, I would not advise using sugar scrubs.

A few beauty tips from my modeling days: (Take it or leave it, just sharing in case it works for you)

A healthy facial cleanser that does not have all the chemicals you find in the beauty isle:
(Do not use these more than once a week.)
Mix:
1 egg
Juice from one half lemon
Beat until smooth. Apply to face and allow to dry. Wash off with warm water, then splash ice cold water on your face for a couple of minutes. (This closes your pores so make up does not get inside and cause acne)

Exfoliate:
Pour about a tablespoon or two of regular iodized kitchen salt in your hand and a couple of squirts from Cetaphil facial cleanser, rub hands together to mix, and then wash your face.
DO NOT SCRUB VIGOROUSLY. Wash gently.
I always do this in the shower AFTER I wash my hair so any shampoo/conditioner is washed off my face.-Can be used on your whole body. Does wonders for your legs!
(p.s. If salt is too course for your skin, you can also use baking soda)

Daily cleanser- Cetaphil is great. (IMO)

Best make up remover- Baby oil.

Short story on makeup remover: My best friend came over and I noticed her nails looked like crap. I had done her nails the day before and asked her wth she did to mess up my hard work. She tells me, “I had to take the polish off because I was taking off my make up last night and the remover removed the polish on a couple of them and it looked bad.”

I am staring at her dumbfounded and replied, “You put something on your face that is strong enough to remove NAIL POLISH?!?” I turned her onto baby oil. I usually use Dial soap and it does great for removing the oil residue.

Everyone’s skin is different and finding that perfect combination that works is not easy. This works for my skin and I have dry super sensitive skin.

Thank you for the tips!

I've never had a problem with acne. My skin is the opposite, it's very very dry. I don't think I'll have a problem with adding oil.

The only makeup I use is mascara and eye liner. I just wash it off in the shower with water

SoMDGirl42

Yup. coconut oil is good stuff. You can use it from head to toe.

is there a particular brand? Where do you get it? I think I saw coconut oil in the grocery store with all the other oils. Does it smell like coconuts? I hate the taste of coconuts, I'm not sure I want to smell like one either. God I hate coconut :dead:

Jameo

What?!
is there a particular brand? Where do you get it? I think I saw coconut oil in the grocery store with all the other oils. Does it smell like coconuts? I hate the taste of coconuts, I'm not sure I want to smell like one either. God I hate coconut :dead:

I use whatever the stuff is I found at wally world with the cooking oils. They sell more expensive stuff at GNC. Does not smell or taste like coconut. Has no smell at all.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
You women do all kinds of weird $hit, but yet you still have to wear makeup.

What's up with that?
My beauty is all natural.

SoMDGirl42

You women do all kinds of weird $hit, but yet you still have to wear makeup.

What's up with that?
My beauty is all natural.

I don't really consider mascara and eye shadow a bunch of makeup. And I wear it to work only. :killingme Many days I forget it totally.

I'm doing this because I have dry skin, not because I'm trying to add lipstick to a pig. :roflmao:

ZARA

Sally's also sells coconut oil. It's a VERY SMALL jar of it and it is pure coconut oil. No additives. I love it. But it's $$$ for the amount you get.

Puritan currently has a sale on coconut oil- awesome prices.

One ingredient: coconut oil! No fillers or added fragrances.
Buy 1 Get 2 Free - 3 for $8.09 (Reg. Price: $8.99)

Buy 2 Get 4 Free - 6 for $16.18 (Reg. Price: $17.98)

No Parabens, Petroleum or SLS. No Artificial Color. No animal testing/100% vegetarian ingredients.
Coconut Oil for Skin & Hair 7 fl oz Oil | Coconut Oil | Puritan's Pride

SoMDGirl42

Sally's also sells coconut oil. It's a VERY SMALL jar of it and it is pure coconut oil. No additives. I love it. But it's $$$ for the amount you get.

Puritan currently has a sale on coconut oil- awesome prices.

Thank you! :buddies:

MMM_donuts

I like to make my own scrubs, too. My favorite ingredients are coffee grounds, sugar, honey, yogurt, lemon juice, baking soda (different combinations, not all together).

Each ingredient has its own potential benefit.