Summer Vacation - Suggestions

Is there stuff to do at the outerbanks if you don't wanna hang out at the beach all day/everyday?

Rent bikes, kayaks on the sound side, go to the dunes, go for an airplane ride, visit the Wright Bros memorial, go climb a light house, take your truck in to get the idler pulley repaced. Wait for the hottest day on record and make sure you rent a bike for the ride home on that last one.
Go to Oregon inlet and watch the fishing boats come in at about 5, go the aquarium on Roanoke Is., movies, mini golf, gocarts, parasailing, hang gliding.
Etc etc.

godsbutterfly

Free to Fly
I would like vacation ideas that don't involve bacteria infested lakes or overcrowded beaches...:tap:

If you have kids you might want to try Williamsburg, VA if you don't mind the 3 hour drive. We got a good deal on a Busch Gardens/Water Country USA Package Deal and stayed at a hotel right across from Water Country USA. We had a great time and it wasn't too bad of a price. Williamsburg also has the Pottery Factory with lots of shops and some outlet stores plus Colonial Williamsburg for an historic angle on things.

bfncbs1

Can you ping me now? Good
We are looking to take our family for a beach vacation this summer and would like to find a nice place. We are looking to spend 1K-1,500 for a week. We would like it to be a family friendly, relaxing area within 6-8 hours from SOMD. Any suggestions?

Chesapeake Beach? Point Lookout? Should be able to save a few $$$$

If you have kids you might want to try Williamsburg, VA if you don't mind the 3 hour drive. We got a good deal on a Busch Gardens/Water Country USA Package Deal and stayed at a hotel right across from Water Country USA. We had a great time and it wasn't too bad of a price. Williamsburg also has the Pottery Factory with lots of shops and some outlet stores plus Colonial Williamsburg for an historic angle on things.

We spent a week at Williamsburg this past summer. I got everybody the unlimited gold passes so we were able to hit the parks numerous times during the week. Did York, Jamestown and such. My most favorite thing though was the HUGE Yankee Candle Factory Store...:faint: I would drive back to Williamsburg for a weekend just to hit that store again.

keepsmiling

We spent a week at Williamsburg this past summer. I got everybody the unlimited gold passes so we were able to hit the parks numerous times during the week. Did York, Jamestown and such. My most favorite thing though was the HUGE Yankee Candle Factory Store...:faint: I would drive back to Williamsburg for a weekend just to hit that store again.

I was told by the lady that works at an antique shop that the week after Christmas all the candles go on sale at the outlet shop. They go buy them then and bring em back and sell them for full price. Thinking about riding down just for a ride during school break.

surfer1

outer banks but go across the Oregon Inlet bridge to Hatteras Island. It's beautiful and pristine. So much for the kids to do for little $$. Climb the famous Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, take the free ferry ride to Ocracoke Island(voted the best beach by Dr beach).When at ocracoke see the ponies and all the folklore about blackbeard the pirate, who hung out there and lost his life in the silver lake! Alot of history to learn about too such as the graveyard of the atlantic. Uncrowded beaches where the kids can play and learn to surf! Try www.midgettrealty.com

godsbutterfly

Free to Fly

I think the Forbes Candy Factory is still up there too. I moved away 2 years ago to come up here but it was there then. Yummy! Oh & The Christmas Mouse has the greatest decorations & is open year round too.

ImnoMensa

I used to go to Williamsburg when it was really a pottery factory there.

If you go to williamsburg be sure to stop by the museum in Newport News .

flyingdog

OBX. No doubt about it. I am sure the other places are nice. OBX rocks. Your family will want to make a tradition out of it. And do visit Ocracoke for a day or even camp one night while you are there. The NPS rocks. OBX. Final answer.

Callie girl

We liked Virginia Beach. Can go Dolphin watching and of course the beach and shopping. I agree with whoever said Hershey Park my kids loved it not to mention me too.