Sundowner Trailer Roof Vent Failure

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
So the trailer is only 7 years old and it already had a roof vent failure at 6 years. My guess is they are using cheap materials to make the vents PLUS the dealer told me I have to take a picture of the opening so they can tell which vent will fit my trailer - umm I bought it from the dealer and they don't know? Nope they said it could be one of 12 different vents used in that model year. Really WTH?

Has anyone else had this problem with a roof vent? Should I just take it to a local place to have it done? Or would the cost there be too much and I should do this on my own?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I called the local trailer shop in Waldorf and they said $90 for 1 hour of labor (minimum) and about $30-$40 for the roof vent plus any caulking that may be needed. So we're talking a ball park of $120-$150? Sounds reasonable since I'm not a handy person. Or is putting in a roof vent an easy thing to do?

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Call Kenny at Saufley Sandblasting -

Saufley Sandblasting LLC
301-884-5238

I don't know what happened with your vent but I have a different trailer brand and I had the vent up forward and it go caught on a pine tree which bent the little frame thing so it wouldn't stay open. It was within the first year so the dealer replaced it for me.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Call Kenny at Saufley Sandblasting -

Saufley Sandblasting LLC
301-884-5238

I don't know what happened with your vent but I have a different trailer brand and I had the vent up forward and it go caught on a pine tree which bent the little frame thing so it wouldn't stay open. It was within the first year so the dealer replaced it for me.

okay - I'll drop it off to him the end of April per my phone call. Thanks! I told her I may just go ahead and replace all 3 vents to be on the safe side - may as well to avoid having to do this again in another year or so with one of the other vents, you know? I would assume all 3 vents were made cheaply since the one that failed was cracked and brittle.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I have a sundowner sierra with living quarters...my bathroom roof vent has leaked for years to some extent...the hurricane last year took the vent off and flooded the bathroom....ugggg...its in the shop still getting a new floor, closet, trim and carpet...

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I have a sundowner sierra with living quarters...my bathroom roof vent has leaked for years to some extent...the hurricane last year took the vent off and flooded the bathroom....ugggg...its in the shop still getting a new floor, closet, trim and carpet...

Oh no. I ended up with moldy blankets/sheets and tack too.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Mine was like 10K in damage

oh my - my trailer was only about $14k new I think (still paying on it). Just a 2 horse/dressing room. I estimate I lost about $1,200 in tack though. Now I'm down to using only 1 bridle I bought at a discount from a generous forumite.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
oh my - my trailer was only about $14k new I think (still paying on it). Just a 2 horse/dressing room. I estimate I lost about $1,200 in tack though. Now I'm down to using only 1 bridle I bought at a discount from a generous forumite.

Mine was $65K new lol................thank you ebay I love you for my trailer.....lol....sorry you crashed and SUCK now!!!

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Mine was $65K new lol................thank you ebay I love you for my trailer.....lol....sorry you crashed and SUCK now!!!

OMG my last house was only $292k and I thought THAT was a lot, and it came with 4 acres, and 2,600 SF house but no mule :frown: .....

nutz

okay - I'll drop it off to him the end of April per my phone call. Thanks! I told her I may just go ahead and replace all 3 vents to be on the safe side - may as well to avoid having to do this again in another year or so with one of the other vents, you know? I would assume all 3 vents were made cheaply since the one that failed was cracked and brittle.

The plastics aren't as UV stable as they should be.
http://www.twolanelivin.com/2011/03/the-dreaded-rv-roof-leak/