SUP and kayaking

wittykitty

I’m considering purchasing an inflatable SUP and wondering if anyone here has experience with extended activities on a paddle board, such as yoga and fishing. I plan to only use this in quiet creeks, not the river or bay.

@vraiblonde , I believe you previously mentioned you have an inflatable kayak. Do you use it often and how does it compare to a non-inflatable? Is it a pain in the azz to inflate it each time you want to use it?

Quite frankly, I’m totally over the whole aggravation with a fishing boat and she’s on her way out!

Bonehead

My wife has a sea eagle inflatable SUP she loves it, she hasn't done a head stand on hers yet but maybe this summer. Sea Eagle products are pricey but of good quality. I am not sure about fishing from a paddle board. A kayak would be better suited for that.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
@vraiblonde , I believe you previously mentioned you have an inflatable kayak. Do you use it often and how does it compare to a non-inflatable? Is it a pain in the azz to inflate it each time you want to use it?

My inflatable has the same stability in the water as a hard kayak. It seems to have less drag, which you'd think would be the other way around.

It takes about 5 minutes to inflate by hand. I think it's less a pain than having to transport a hard kayak. When we were in Branson we were right on the lake and I could leave it set up - just take it across the street to launch, so that was convenient.

Pax Adventure Center over in Solomons has both hard and inflatable paddleboards that you can look at and compare. There are probably pros and cons to each, but I'm a big fan of the inflatables because of cost and portability.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
My wife has a sea eagle inflatable SUP she loves it, she hasn't done a head stand on hers yet but maybe this summer. Sea Eagle products are pricey but of good quality. I am not sure about fishing from a paddle board. A kayak would be better suited for that.
I have a SE 285FPB. I use it to fish. It's a floating seat. Not much room for gear. I did get rid of the lead battery and swapped it out for a lithium one. New battery is 16 pounds and a lot smaller footprint than the old one.

I've launched in both fresh and salt water. Put it in a river, a few lakes and the lagoon down here. It gets the job done but my folding boat was a lot more comfortable. It was also a lot more difficult to drag around with the RV, so that's why I downsized.

FWIW Vrai can out paddle me when I'm using the trolling motor. She's quite hydrodynamic while my 2 pontoons seem to create a lot of drag.