Support for abortion in sharp decline

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=1060

Survey finds 52% majority favor abortion in most circumstances, down markedly from 1990s; Stark partisan split remains.
I participated in this poll (which prompted me to wonder why Zogby wanted to know how often I shop at Wal-Mart). I was one of the Republicans who said abortion should be legal under all circumstances, but that I thought abortion destroys a human life and is manslaughter.

What stunned me was this:

The partisan divide over abortion is most dramatic when considering whether parents should be notified before a daughter’s abortion. While 88% of Republicans agree parents should know ahead of time, just 26% of Democrats agree. One in every two independents say parents should be told ahead of time.
How can we not unanimously agree that parents should be notified if their daughter has an abortion????? :confused:

MMDad

Lem Putt
vraiblonde said:
http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=1060

I participated in this poll (which prompted me to wonder why Zogby wanted to know how often I shop at Wal-Mart). I was one of the Republicans who said abortion should be legal under all circumstances, but that I thought abortion destroys a human life and is manslaughter.

What stunned me was this:

How can we not unanimously agree that parents should be notified if their daughter has an abortion????? :confused:

As a parent of a daughter, I agree with your view, but I also understand the opposite view.

A 16 YO gets knocked up and is too scared to tell her parents. She knows that if she gets the abortion, they'll tell Dad and he'll whoop her ass. So she does the abortion herself with drugs or worse, and ends up dead. If it weren't for the notificaton, she'd still be alive.

The thing I don't understand is why a Dr. can't go beyond life-saving medical procedures without my express written permission, but could do an abortion? Isn't this already covered under existing law? How does abortion get around this?

Spoiled

MMDad said:
As a parent of a daughter, I agree with your view, but I also understand the opposite view.

A 16 YO gets knocked up and is too scared to tell her parents. She knows that if she gets the abortion, they'll tell Dad and he'll whoop her ass. So she does the abortion herself with drugs or worse, and ends up dead. If it weren't for the notificaton, she'd still be alive.

The thing I don't understand is why a Dr. can't go beyond life-saving medical procedures without my express written permission, but could do an abortion? Isn't this already covered under existing law? How does abortion get around this?
Shes mature enough to have sex but not tell her dad shes pregnant and does not want the kid... I am sorry, that is just stupid... Dumb girl should have thought about that before...

nomoney

Spoiled said:
Shes mature enough to have sex but not tell her dad shes pregnant and does not want the kid... I am sorry, that is just stupid... Dumb girl should have thought about that before...
welcome to the life of teenagers :dork: shoulda woulda coulda

Terps

I agree that i do not think that teenagers should have to tell their parents. Play devil's advocate for a second, when you were a teenager would you have told your parents, NO, you would have gotten the situation fixed and move on. While you do not like to think about your children in this light, you would probably do the same thing

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
Terps said:
I agree that i do not think that teenagers should have to tell their parents. Play devil's advocate for a second, when you were a teenager would you have told your parents, NO, you would have gotten the situation fixed and move on. While you do not like to think about your children in this light, you would probably do the same thing

Back when I was a teen, there was no one to tell except your friend, church, teacher, or parents. If you didnt have nice parents, you went to the home for unwed mothers. If you had cool parents, you got to stay home and get some support. I personally chose niether of these routes. I chose to not get knocked up

M

missperky

Terps said:
I don't agree with you, I personally would like to know. And when I was a teenager I went to my parents, told them and had the baby, and raised him. IMO

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
Terps said:

I think that's a very subjective thing to state; and not entirely correct. There are many young girls who come from supportive homes and would turn to their parents during such a crisis.

That said, there are many young girls who come from equally supportive homes who wouldn't. There are also many young girls (and the number is growing these days) who do NOT come from supportive homes, and would risk all manner of negative and potentially abusive consequences by turning to their family.

Although I can certainly see why any rationally minded good parent would want to be a part of such a huge decision in their daughter's life; that's not why the issue exists. It's for the girl who's being raped by someone in her family since she was 11 and is afraid to turn to them. It's for the girl who knows she has made a mistake, and wants to have another chance at life. And maybe, just maybe, it's to avoid a desperate teen who managed to hide her pregnancy only to be giving birth in the girl's bathroom on Prom Night.

nomoney

missperky said:
I don't agree with you, I personally would like to know. And when I was a teenager I went to my parents, told them and had the baby, and raised him. IMO

Personally liking to know is one thing....all parents would love to know. Truth is - just because you went to your parents doesn't mean its common place among others. :yay:

M

missperky

nomoney said:
Personally liking to know is one thing....all parents would love to know. Truth is - just because you went to your parents doesn't mean its common place among others. :yay:
That's right, we all have different opinions.

ylexot

Super Genius
MMDad said:
:yeahthat:

ylexot

Super Genius
Terps said:
What you would do and what is the right thing to do are two completely different things. That is the whole reason behind parental consent for medical procedures.

bcp

In My Opinion
baileydog said:
I personally chose niether of these routes. I chose to not get knocked up
You must be a conservative, because from what I have learned by reading the democratic underground, and the baltimore sun site,,, liberals have no choice in pregnancy until after the baby is forming.

their only option for choice comes when it is time to murder a new life. Not before that life is conceived.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
I am a smart person who chose to go play and enjoy my youth instead of being tied down with a screaming baby. I am not for or against abortion, I for being smart enough not to get pregnant.

Spoiled

Support for abortion in... 01-24-2006 07:08 PM you a an idiot, and too young and inexperienced to make the call

To whoever left this: I am 20, I wouldn't want to make that decision or cause someone else to make that decision. As a result of this I don’t engage in behavior that would put anyone in the position to have to decide if they want a kid or an abortion. I know I don’t want a kid, I can imagine too many people my age wanting a kid. If you can't live with the consequences then do act.

So you are right, I am too young an inexperienced to make the call, that is why I haven't and won't put myself in any position to make it...

ajhkmr97

TexasPride1977
If parents communicated with their children and actually got to know them - then this may not be an issue. Too many parents avoid talking about sex with their children. Family bonds are very brittle in todays society. Is this perception inaccurate?

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
bcp said:
You must be a conservative, because from what I have learned by reading the democratic underground, and the baltimore sun site,,, liberals have no choice in pregnancy until after the baby is forming.

their only option for choice comes when it is time to murder a new life. Not before that life is conceived.

I do not think Im very conservative. Ive lead a rather full and quite fun life. The motto in my adult youthness, ie 17 to 22, was "SEX, DRUGS AND ROCK & ROLL" and they werent kidding. But birth control was there and availaible for a reason. And I for one jumped on that band wagon. :love:

SAHRAB

This is fun right?
baileydog said:
Youre just pisssed because you were to young to enjoy it. Your motto is probabyly "GO GRUNGE". :flowers:

Hah Grunge wasnt big until i was out of high school. grew up on AC/DC, Scorpions (grew up in Germany), Spandex Rock and Metallica