Supporting Al Gore

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
:biggrin: Did anyone see the CNN flash about a poll taken last week, as reported in the L.A. Times, concerning Al Gore and the Presidency? They polled 312 Democratic National Commitee members with the following results: 35% want him to run for president, 48% say he should not, and 17% are undecided on the issue. Hey, I think Al is still the big gun on the Democratic scene, give it a shot.
I think Al OUGHT to go for it. Maybe Nancy Pelosi would be a positive choice for a running - mate, have the Democratic Convention in L.A; they'd be so far left of center, Arizona just might get to own some beachfront property,
afterall!
penncam

H

Heretic

Al needs to pick a personality and stick to it. In the 90's he was one person Wooden Al. We made fun of him being so stiff and such but atleast then I respected him. Then when he began to take on this manufactured personality during his campaign I started to dislike him and loose all respect for him. I bet if he would have been himself instead of the person that his advisors told him to be he would be in the White House, heck how often does someone loose their home state?

So Al here is my message to you if your going to run again pick a personality and stick to it, if your just going to sit on the side lines then get off TV and shut up you have no more relevence than any of the other past vice presedents that we never hear a word from. (Clinton please take this advise too, if you want people to listen to your political views run for some office somewhere)

MGKrebs

endangered species
Sad state of affairs

This is what we have come to: a politician's success is determined by his appearance and "TV personality". Not about what they say or do. Al gets criticized for being "wooden", and when he makes a genuine effort to improve his public speaking abilities, he gets criticized ( and loses votes!) for "changing". As if we all reach our fully formed selves in high school (not unlike a certain current President I can think of).

As long as this is what we ask, we will get ex-actors and guys who can't even eat pretzels and watch TV at the same time for leaders.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
As long as this is what we ask, we will get ex-actors and guys who can't even eat pretzels and watch TV at the same time for leaders.
Might even get a rapist in there, too - huh, Maynard?
:roflmao:
(Beat you to it, didn't I, Kyle?)

H

Heretic

MGKrebs if I vote for someone I want them to be genuine and not have multiple personality disorder. Granted I don't think there are any politicians out there that are genuine so I would settle for no MPD. Be yourself, changing for the campaign just made him seem like a slimeball. He got to where he was on being wooden Al, why change? Maybe if he was a good actor, but man was that bad.

I'd much rather see Gephart in 2004 than Gore.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Might even get a rapist in there, too - huh, Maynard?
:roflmao:
(Beat you to it, didn't I, Kyle?)
Aw, c'mon vraiblonde, I was fishin' for reactions to the DNC's wishy-washy answers to the poll! Big Al is their standard bearer for 2004, you know that! And they gave him a no-confidence vote. What a bunch of wimpy ba$%&ds they are!
Face it, SouMd Dems, your party is toast for the forseeable future; trying very hard to demonstrate some hollow, but positive victory from this loss y'all took in the midterm elections. Terry McAauliff has also got some answers he really cannot justify. I LOVE IT!!!!
penncam

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Originally posted by Heretic
Be yourself, changing for the campaign just made him seem like a slimeball. He got to where he was on being wooden Al, why change? Maybe if he was a good actor, but man was that bad.

Well said Heretic, as I was reading your reply, the same words were forming in my mind, as well.
Not sure about Gephart, though, I caught an interview
with him and Tony Snow(FOX NEWS), and he basically was saying he was tired of suffering the "slings and arrows of outraged Republicans", and wanted to step down for a while. Is THAT the kind of man we want to put in the Presidency, that when it gets hot, he wants to run for shelter; let somebody else take the heat???
penncam

H

Heretic

But who else do the democrats have that could appeal to the general public?

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
But who else do the democrats have that could appeal to the general public?

I do believe Billary, (or IS it Hillary?) has her wet finger in the atmosphere as we mere common folk are speaking:biggrin:

penncam

H

Heretic

But she has promised the people of NY that she will serve out her 6 year term, she wouldnt go back on a promise would she?

And that isnt the atmosphere :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Originally posted by vraiblonde
... (Beat you to it, didn't I, Kyle?)
:yay: Vrai, but I got my fill of the of the DU months ago.

Of course were I to add...

After the last eight years of the traitor/liar/rapist/left-wing weasel, I'll take a right-wing actor or folks who have trouble with pretzels any day. :rolleyes:

chuckster

IMFUBARED
DNC Tells Gore To Get Lost!!!!

Sunday, Nov. 17, 2002 8:30 a.m. EST
DNC Tells Gore: Get Lost, We Love Clinton

A shocking new poll of Democratic National Committee members shows that almost half want Al Gore to get lost in 2004, while nearly all DNC respondents say they retain "great affection" for ex-President Clinton and want him to continue campaigning for Democratic candidates.

Gore received just 35 percent support from party insiders in the Los Angeles Times survey, with 48 percent telling the paper that he should sit out the 2004 presidential race.

The survey mirrors an October Gallup poll of Democrats at large, which found just 38 percent support for another Gore run - with 54 percent saying he should take a pass.

Asked who should be the party's standard bearer in 2004, a whopping 46 percent of DNC respondents said they had no preference. However Gore still topped the list of named candidates at 19 percent. The candidate with the next highest backing was Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry, with 18 percent support.

Results of the Times poll were seriously skewed by the omission of Gore's main rival for the 2004 nomination, New York Sen. Hillary Clinton, who remains the number two pick behind Gore in every survey of Democrats that includes her name.

While Mrs. Clinton insists she won't be a candidate in 2004, her husband told reporters earlier this year that her candidacy is a matter of "when, not if." At the same point in his own campaign for the White House, Bill Clinton also insisted that was not a candidate, promising Arkansans in Nov. 1990 that he would serve out his full four-year term as governor.

Unlike Gore, Mrs. Clinton received some good news in the Sunday survey, with 96 percent of Democratic insiders telling the Times they have a favorable impression of her husband, whose presidency she co-managed. Only 3 percent gave Clinton an unfavorable rating.

The poll also found that Democrats do not blame her husband for the defeats suffered by the numerous candidates for which the former first couple campaigned in this year's election.

Asked if they thought Mr. Clinton should reprise the high-profile role he took this year's races by campaigning in the 2004 race, an overwhelming 88 percent of DNC members said yes.

Thirty-six percent said he should campaign in all 50 states for the party's nominee. Fifty-two percent said he should play a more limited role, campaigning in just "selected states."

Only 5 percent said Clinton should sit out the 2004 race.

A Quinnipiac College survey released last week showed Mrs. Clinton running against President Bush almost as well as Gore. In theoretical match-ups Bush beat Clinton 55 to 38 percent. He defeated Gore 54 to 41 percent.

The Los Angeles Times surveyed 312 Democratic National Committee members from Nov. 7-14. The poll has a margin of error of plus or minus 2 percent.

chuckster

IMFUBARED
Clintons Will Tap Gore...

Sunday Nov. 17, 2002; 2:24 p.m. EST
Fineman: Clintons Will Tap Gore in '04 If Dems Certain to Lose

Bill and Hillary Clinton will allow Al Gore to win the Democratic Party's presidential nomination in 2004, according the Newsweek's lead political reporter Howard Fineman, but only if it looks like the Democrats stand no chance whatsoever of beating President Bush.

"They'll consent to giving it to him if they decide it's meaningless," Fineman told "The Chris Matthews Show" on Sunday.

Fineman offered the prediction after Matthews asked if running Gore in 2004 was part of the Clintons' plan to use the ex-veep "to fill the hole so they can bring back Hillary in 2008?"

The suggestion that the Clintons and Gore are working at cross purposes stands in stark contrast to comments from Mr. Gore himself in an interview with Barbara Walters broadcast Friday night, where the ex-veep said he and the ex-president had patched up their differences and were now the best of friends.

"Neither of those things are true," Fineman insisted, an observation seconded by "Matthews Show" co-panelist, NBC reporter Andrea Mitchell.

Of Gore's claim that he and Clinton had reconciled, Mitchell offered an understated, "I don't think so."

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Re: DNC Tells Gore To Get Lost!!!!

Originally posted by chuckster
Sunday, Nov. 17, 2002 8:30 a.m. EST
DNC Tells Gore: Get Lost, We Love Clinton

While Mrs. Clinton insists she won't be a candidate in 2004, her husband told reporters earlier this year that her candidacy is a matter of "when, not if." At the same point in his own campaign for the White House, Bill Clinton also insisted that was not a candidate, promising Arkansans in Nov. 1990 that he would serve out his full four-year term as governor. (Well, it depends on what the meaning of the words - "won't run", is.)

Only 5 percent said Clinton should sit out the 2004 race.
:biggrin: Heretic - Does this answer your question?
I think you can put your mind to rest on the issue.

penncam

B

Bruzilla

I'm getting pretty tired of getting Gore'd everytime I turn on the TV. The libs at ABC, NBC, and CNN are falling all over themselves to get his face on TV, supposedly so that he can promote his books that thousands of Democrats will but and maybe 10 will actually read. How transparent can you get??? Now he's going to be the host of SNL? Time to go back to MAD TV.

Lastly, I've heard every major Lib talking, again, about how the Gore we're seeing now is "THE REAL AL GORE." How many different real Al Gores are there???

demsformd

Do you wanna know the real Al Gore - he's an intellectual, moral version of Bill Clinton. Gore is becoming more of himself, how do I know? He now advocates the single-payer system for HealthCare reform, something that he used to work against. He is gonna advocate what he truly believes in as Richard Nixon did in 1968 when he ran again. Now, too many of you and the political world think that Hillary will run for President sometime. She most definitely will not and if she did, she would not have a snowball's chance in hell of winning the general or the primary I think. I am surprised that a wartime president is only received 54% of the vote in the polls. I think that Bush is truly vulnerable especially with the terrorism war moving into the background. Once the debate starts with that man, things will only go downhill for him. A Gallup poll shows support for the Iraq War as being quite strong yet many people do not understand what our goal in the region is. Once we begin to debate the issues, the Democratic side will win. After all, it did last time.

MGKrebs

endangered species
MGKrebs if I vote for someone I want them to be genuine and not have multiple personality disorder. Granted I don't think there are any politicians out there that are genuine so I would settle for no MPD. Be yourself, changing for the campaign just made him seem like a slimeball. He got to where he was on being wooden Al, why change? Maybe if he was a good actor, but man was that bad.

He "seemed" like a slimeball. Was he capable? Smart? Experienced?

You would choose someone who can't even speak a full sentence? He "seems" like an idiot to me.

You think shrub is genuine? It seems fairly evident that Rove and Cheney are running things. Shrubbie just gets to say the official yes or no.

What personality changes are we talking about, anyway? Even Dub has changed positions on things. If you don't like Gore's policies, fine, but I don't get this "cult of personality" thing.

MGKrebs

endangered species
Originally posted by Kyle

After the last eight years of the... weasel, I'll take a right-wing actor or folks who have trouble with pretzels any day. :rolleyes: [/B]

Of course, that wasn't really the choice was it. Clinton wasn't running. So you are not saying Gore was a bad candidate, you are saying you voted against him because you still hate Clinton, and somehow confuse Gore with Clinton?

H

Heretic

Capable, not in my eyes
Smart, not in my eyes
Experienced-maybe the vice president only has one official duty and that is to vote in case of a senate tie.

Personally I dont think anyone that is VP for 8 years should be able to be president for 2 terms, I think they should be limited to one term....but then again I dont think any president should be able to serve two terms because they spend a good portion of the first just trying to get re-elected instead of doing their job. Make the terms 6 years but limit a person to one term and the sitting VP must take a term off before being president. I think that would solve alot of the playing politics that interfers with a persident doing their job.

I never said I voted for Bush, but I did not vote for Gore. I have made it well known that I use to be a democrat until I found out that I was disillusioned about the Democratic Party being for the common man. There just doesnt seem to be any place in the democratic party for a straight white man, I guess we are just too busy opressing everyone else to fit in. in my opinion Gore is the perfect example of why I felt that the Democratic party lost focus on what it use to be.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Originally posted by MGKrebs
Of course, that wasn't really the choice was it. Clinton wasn't running. So you are not saying Gore was a bad candidate, you are saying you voted against him because you still hate Clinton, and somehow confuse Gore with Clinton?
No confusion... Birds of a feather!