Surprise!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
http://www.cnsnews.com//ViewSpecialReports.asp?Page=\SpecialReports\archive\200410\SPE20041004a.html

Iraqi intelligence documents, confiscated by U.S. forces and obtained by CNSNews.com, show numerous efforts by Saddam Hussein's regime to work with some of the world's most notorious terror organizations, including al Qaeda, to target Americans. They demonstrate that Saddam's government possessed mustard gas and anthrax, both considered weapons of mass destruction, in the summer of 2000, during the period in which United Nations weapons inspectors were not present in Iraq. And the papers show that Iraq trained dozens of terrorists inside its borders.
:bubble:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
The Internet (that Gore did not create) is a more respected and viewed source of information that the news media according to many recent sources much to the chagrin of ABC, CBS, NBC, and the newspapers, so maybe it will get out.

Vince

2ndAmendment said:
The Internet (that Gore did not create) is a more respected and viewed source of information that the news media according to many recent sources much to the chagrin of ABC, CBS, NBC, and the newspapers, so maybe it will get out.
Hope your right.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Vince said:
Bet this won't get much publicity. Of course when they didn't find Weapons of Mass Destruction you saw the publicity that got.
Quick vrai, E-mail Mary Mapes and/or Dan Rather at CBS, tell them you've got some solid information about WMDs in Iraq, that are documented in confiscated Iraqi Intelligence papers and see if they'll run with it!

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Wow, what a reputible news source. Does the same guy that made up quotes for Fox work there? Amazing this hasn't been picked up elsewhere.

B

Bruzilla

Strangely I find myself agreeing with the J-man. CSN??? How would they have obtained these documents? Seems to me those would have been sent to FNC, CNN, CBS, ABC, the NYT, etc., long before anyone would have said "hey - don't forget those guys at CSN!"

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Bruzilla said:
Strangely I find myself agreeing with the J-man. CSN??? How would they have obtained these documents? Seems to me those would have been sent to FNC, CNN, CBS, ABC, the NYT, etc., long before anyone would have said "hey - don't forget those guys at CSN!"
Maybe. Or then again, maybe someone knew someone. It did say "Exclusive". Much in this world gets done through friendship; jobs, information (ask Martha), money, parties. Reasonable?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Bruzilla said:
Maybe these other news sources wouldn't give the leak the anonymity they sought. Maybe the leak knows Scott Wheeler or has some other contact with this organization. Who knows why, does it make them less credible that someone seeking to keep their name out of the spotlight would go to an obscure organiztaion?

They may have been given to the big names and I do not find it surprising in the least that the major sources haven’t made them public yet, especially photocopies (anyone remember Rather and the hot water he got CBS into?). It might be that they are validating them or holding off for a more opportune time (which for most of them would be after the election).

B

Bruzilla

As this is the age of the Internet, and most 15-yr olds can set up a website, I don't give this CSN any credibility. If I had an hour or so of spare time I could create the Bruzilla News Service and have all kinds of articles up and running in no time.

Also, don't forget that the White House has a very capable press office. I'm sure Scott McClellan (or whoever the press sec is now) wouldn't have wasted two seconds putting these documents out to the news services.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Bruzilla said:
As this is the age of the Internet, and most 15-yr olds can set up a website, I don't give this CSN any credibility. If I had an hour or so of spare time I could create the Bruzilla News Service and have all kinds of articles up and running in no time.

Also, don't forget that the White House has a very capable press office. I'm sure Scott McClellan (or whoever the press sec is now) wouldn't have wasted two seconds putting these documents out to the news services.
Because you don't see them as mainstream doesn't mean that they haven't been around for a while or that they aren't truthful. It seems that they have been copyright protected for over 6 years so they do have a little staying power.

And as it has been stated they are calling this story an exclusive, what does that mean to you?

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Bruzilla said:

It was the Internet that caught Dan Rather in his credibility gap. The Internet has become THE most researched source for information. True, you have to be discerning about what you believe, but if the CSN story has any credence, it will break elsewhere.

B

Bruzilla

C'mon guys... let's get real. Who amongst us had ever heard of CSN before this story? Also, this story pushes every hot button there is... links to Al Quaeda, WMDs, killing Americans... it's as tailor made as the Bush NG documents.

I have the highest respect for the Internet's ability to dispense the news, but I also realize how easy it is for it to manufacture the news as well. I think that the fact that there's no mention of this on Drudge says it all.

SamSpade

Bruzilla said:
C'mon guys... let's get real. Who amongst us had ever heard of CSN before this story? Also, this story pushes every hot button there is... links to Al Quaeda, WMDs, killing Americans... it's as tailor made as the Bush NG documents.

I have, and Drudge has linked to CNS News stories in the past. Like you, I think I'd like to see ANY kind of corroboration from a major news outlet before I'd repeat it. Not because they're unreliable or lacking credibility, but it's worth noting that SILENCE on the issue even from sources like Fox make it doubtful, because they'd love to have this, and they're just as likely to read it as anyone else.

On the other hand - Drudge did break the Monica story. But others went with it after that.

So far, to my knowledge, Fox is the only major news outlet to do any coverage on the oil-for-food/UN scandal that's been out there since the spring.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
SamSpade said:
So far, to my knowledge, Fox is the only major news outlet to do any coverage on the oil-for-food/UN scandal that's been out there since the spring.
The UN story does not fit with the "global test" of the liberal "mainstream" news organizations.

D

dems4me

jlabsher said:
Wow, what a reputible news source. Does the same guy that made up quotes for Fox work there? Amazing this hasn't been picked up elsewhere.

I agree... how is it they "obtain" these documents and the entire 9/11 panel didn't :shrug: