Sushi

SamSpade

My youngest is quite taken with sushi. She's Chinese, and likes to make ANY Asian dish, including Korean dishes like kimchi or bulgogi or - Japanese dishes like sushi.

Pretty sure I can make a Calfiornia roll without trouble - no FISH.

Where can I get SUSHI GRADE fish, for rolls? Other than SMOKED salmon, I have no idea where to get one - nearby. I CAN drive to Whole Foods in Annapolis - but I want to know if anyone sells it close by? Lots of stores - like Giant - sell it as it is handmade in the store.

Ideas? Anyone make their own?

OccamsRazor

My youngest is quite taken with sushi. She's Chinese, and likes to make ANY Asian dish, including Korean dishes like kimchi or bulgogi or - Japanese dishes like sushi.

Pretty sure I can make a Calfiornia roll without trouble - no FISH.

Where can I get SUSHI GRADE fish, for rolls? Other than SMOKED salmon, I have no idea where to get one - nearby. I CAN drive to Whole Foods in Annapolis - but I want to know if anyone sells it close by? Lots of stores - like Giant - sell it as it is handmade in the store.

Ideas? Anyone make their own?
Forgive me but, didn't you answer your own question? Why not get it from Giant??

SamSpade

Forgive me but, didn't you answer your own question? Why not get it from Giant??
I haven't SEEN it on the shelves - just as I don't expect every ingredient in the bakery or deli to be available.

It couldn't hurt to go there and ASK them, I suppose. I was just hoping someone had done it and knew where to get it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Giant or HT should have sushi grade tuna at least. She'll have a blast making sushi and experimenting with it - you can literally fill your rolls with anything you like, the rice being key. I've made Gringo Sushi with rice, pulled pork, chopped pickle, and a dab of SW ranch, then wrapped it up and deep fried it. Ask Bann how good it was.....

Making your own sushi is the way to go because then you get what you want and you can make a roll for everyone in the house based on their tastes.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Without inside knowledge, I believe the sushi makers at Giant are sub-contracted and have their own supply. If they were getting sushi-grade fish from Giant, you'd see it at the fish counter, but there isn't any there marked as such. I'd be more inclined to trust the HT fish counter if you were to ask them. HT's sushi is probably sub'd too.

:singer: If you knew Sushi, like I know Sushi....

SamSpade

Crab, Squid and Smoked eel are good too.
I know that imitation crab is easy to get. I also know my daughter hates it.

But - lots of good suggestions.
That's my go to place, and I get advice from the owner almost every visit.

Funny story. My last visit there, she was out front taking pictures of her store. I asked her what she was doing.
She said she was taking pictures for her fake boobs. I really didn't want to ask further, so I bought my stuff and left.
Told my son who was with me, and he said what? Her Facebook?

Somehow he figured it out faster than me.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I know that imitation crab is easy to get. I also know my daughter hates it.

But - lots of good suggestions.

That's my go to place, and I get advice from the owner almost every visit.

Funny story. My last visit there, she was out front taking pictures of her store. I asked her what she was doing.
She said she was taking pictures for her fake boobs. I really didn't want to ask further, so I bought my stuff and left.
Told my son who was with me, and he said what? Her Facebook?

Somehow he figured it out faster than me.
For sushi you can get acluster of real snow crab legs and she'd have more then enough to work with.

Christy

b*tch rocket
I have read that the "sushi grade"label is a marketing tool. Here's a good link to explain how to figure out what is safe.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I was never a big sushi or sashimi fan until I attended a change-of-command banquet at a South Korean naval base. OMG...a line of sushi chefs turning out the most amazing sushi ever crossed my lips. More recently, sushi restaurants are the lastest "craze" in Norway and good ones are everywhere. Can't see myself trying to make my own though...

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I was never a big sushi or sashimi fan until I attended a change-of-command banquet at a South Korean naval base. OMG...a line of sushi chefs turning out the most amazing sushi ever crossed my lips. More recently, sushi restaurants are the lastest "craze" in Norway and good ones are everywhere. Can't see myself trying to make my own though...
I'm gonna try to make some So.MD Sushi.

I'll pull out the fishsticks and wrap them in Mac&Cheese....

DSC_0200.JPG