Swine Flu Problem Growing Rapidly

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Regular flu has killed thousands since January

There had been no confirmed deaths in the United States related to swine flu as of Tuesday afternoon. But another virus had killed thousands of people since January and is expected to keep killing hundreds of people every week for the rest of the year.

People are nervous about swine flu, but the regular flu kills 36,000 people a year in the United States.

That one? The regular flu.

An outbreak of swine flu that is suspected in more than 150 deaths in Mexico and has sickened dozens of people in the United States and elsewhere has grabbed the attention of a nervous public and of medical officials worried the strain will continue to mutate and spread.

Experts are nervous that, as a new strain, the swine flu will be harder to stop because there aren't any vaccines to fight it.

Regular flu has killed thousands since January - CNN.com

BoyGenius

Cyber Bully Victim
I really could care less if it wipes out 1/3 of the world's population (I don't wish for this). In fact, at this point in my unemployed, boring-ass, falling apart life I really don't care if it hits me.

What happened to all the gold you have in your bomb shelter?

:popcorn:

Vince

Q: Why is swine flu such a big deal?

A: Because "pandemics" make for great news/entertainment. The very word "pandemic" is an instant ratings boost!
Zactly. If it were a couple hundred cases out of a billion people of just "the flu" no one would pay any attention. Attach "swine or bird" to it and "viola" instant news. People dead from it, more news for the media to get attention.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Regular flu has killed thousands since January

There had been no confirmed deaths in the United States related to swine flu as of Tuesday afternoon. But another virus had killed thousands of people since January and is expected to keep killing hundreds of people every week for the rest of the year.

People are nervous about swine flu, but the regular flu kills 36,000 people a year in the United States.

That one? The regular flu.

An outbreak of swine flu that is suspected in more than 150 deaths in Mexico and has sickened dozens of people in the United States and elsewhere has grabbed the attention of a nervous public and of medical officials worried the strain will continue to mutate and spread.

Experts are nervous that, as a new strain, the swine flu will be harder to stop because there aren't any vaccines to fight it.

Regular flu has killed thousands since January - CNN.com

I saw that too. People need to stop freaking out and just practice some healthy habits.....

http://forums.somd.com/life-southern-maryland/177326-swine-flu-information.html#post3726790

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
By July everything should be resolved....

Finalized the details on my trip to Cancun in July (on Friday before this became big news), hoping by then it will have passed. If not, guess I'm out some money. :nomoney:

...if Andy is to be believed, 2/3 of the population of Mexico will be dead (hopefully buried) and 1/2 the U.S population will be dying. That makes the lines at airport security a breeze.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
This swine flu has my mom all in a tizzy (not like that's hard to do anyways). She just heard about the baby's death from it and she's :cds: and :jameo: trying to protect herself. She wants to know who to call about closing the border so we don't get any more cases here in the US. :rolleyes:

L

Libertarian

This swine flu has my mom all in a tizzy (not like that's hard to do anyways). She just heard about the baby's death from it and she's :cds: and :jameo: trying to protect herself. She wants to know who to call about closing the border so we don't get any more cases here in the US. :rolleyes:

She sounds like an uninformed person...a perfect candidate for Obama to recruit under his wing and convince her that, among other things, national healthcare is the solution.