Swirls on my wood floor.

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
My kitchen flooded back in Dec. and we needed to get our pine floor refinished. Guys come out Tues., sand and put the first coat on. It looked beautiful. They came back yesterday to put on the final coat.

The entire floor is covered with swirls from the buffer and there are places where the wood doesn't even have any shine. :mad:

What happened to my beautiful floor?

Hubby thinks maybe the first coat wasn't completely dry. We're trying to get the owner over tonight to have a look. All the other work they did turned out great. Luckily the insurance company hasn't paid them yet.

I want my kitchen back! :burning:

D

dems4me

Mrs. Jones said:
My kitchen flooded back in Dec. and we needed to get our pine floor refinished. Guys come out Tues., sand and put the first coat on. It looked beautiful. They came back yesterday to put on the final coat.

The entire floor is covered with swirls from the buffer and there are places where the wood doesn't even have any shine. :mad:

What happened to my beautiful floor?

Hubby thinks maybe the first coat wasn't completely dry. We're trying to get the owner over tonight to have a look. All the other work they did turned out great. Luckily the insurance company hasn't paid them yet.

If you are renting then why are you having to pay for their wood floors? :shrug:

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
dems4me said:
If you are renting then why are you having to pay for their wood floors? :shrug:

Where did you get the idea I was renting?

dems4me said:
Psssst... do you think it's possible she means the owner of the company that did the floor...:shrug:

Vince

Mrs. Jones said:

Hubby is correct. When you buff a finish that hasn't cured completely, you will end up with swirls. I build furniture and made my share of mistakes on the finish. Also if they've sanded with too course of a grit you will see the swirl marks. They need to do it over because it won't buff out.

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
Vince said:
Hubby is correct. When you buff a finish that hasn't cured completely, you will end up with swirls. I build furniture and made my share of mistakes on the finish. Also if they've sanded with too course of a grit you will see the swirl marks. They need to do it over because it won't buff out.

Vince! I was hoping you would see this. I think it must not have cured since it looked great with the first coat, even under direct light.

Looks like we'll be eating out for a while.

Thanks for the info.:flowers:

Vince

Mrs. Jones said:

I ended up putting a hardwood laminate in my kitchen, dinning room and hall. Next I'm doing the living room with the real stuff. Thought about doing it in actual wood planks and milling the lumber myself, but it would take me months just to mill the lumber. If I did it that way, I'd find that old barn wood and make the flooring out of that.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Vince said:
I ended up putting a hardwood laminate in my kitchen, dinning room and hall. Next I'm doing the living room with the real stuff. Thought about doing it in actual wood planks and milling the lumber myself, but it would take me months just to mill the lumber. If I did it that way, I'd find that old barn wood and make the flooring out of that.

How hard is it to refinish floors really? The old man is rather handy and our floors really need to be done. The big tools can be rented from Home Depot, yes?

Vince

pixiegirl said:
How hard is it to refinish floors really? The old man is rather handy and our floors really need to be done. The big tools can be rented from Home Depot, yes?
It's not hard. We did when we were kids. Dad put hardwood floors through the whole house, with the exception of the kitchen and the bathroom, when he built the home. We had to refinish the living room every 4 or 5 years. 3 boys are hell on hardwood floors. Rent the sanders and buffers. We used shellac for the finish. When you put your finish on make sure there isn't any dust on the floor. Wipe with cheese cloth, vacumm, do whatever it takes to get the dust up or you will end up with specs all over the place. Give it enough cure time between coats.

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
pixiegirl said:

I think we'll do the rest ourselves. It didn't look too hard. But, OMG what a mess the sanding makes.

That's another thing. I guess I should have asked, but if the insurance is paying, aren't the floor people supposed to clean up the dust? I have a commercial stove, 6 burners, grill and an open broiler. I thought they were going to tape it off. What a mess.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Vince said:
It's not hard. We did when we were kids. Dad put hardwood floors through the whole house, with the exception of the kitchen and the bathroom, when he built the home. We had to refinish the living room every 4 or 5 years. 3 boys are hell on hardwood floors. Rent the sanders and buffers. We used shellac for the finish. When you put your finish on make sure there isn't any dust on the floor. Wipe with cheese cloth, vacumm, do whatever it takes to get the dust up or you will end up with specs all over the place. Give it enough cure time between coats.

:huggy: Thanks. I read up on it a bit and it didn't sound too hard. I'm on a DIY kick now that we did the bathroom!