T-posts?

Sparks

Anyone bought T-Posts from Tractor Supply? They're almost a dollar cheaper than the ones at Southern States. Wondering what the difference might be?

fredsaid2

Anyone bought T-Posts from Tractor Supply? They're almost a dollar cheaper than the ones at Southern States. Wondering what the difference might be?

I just talked to someone about this yesterday. She said SS were better quality but she must have bought them a bit ago because the price difference was 10-20 cents.

Sparks

It was $4.45 at SS and $3.38 at TC for 5'. That includes 6% tax.

I can't remember where I bought them last time.:doh: I wonder if the quality difference is worth $1.07 a post?

fredsaid2

It was $4.45 at SS and $3.38 at TC for 5'. That includes 6% tax.

I can't remember where I bought them last time.:doh: I wonder if the quality difference is worth $1.07 a post?

I might have to go with the lower price even if it's lower quality and just replace them when necessary.

I wonder if any of the local tack shops can order them for you? Let us know if you find out, I'll soon need some too.

Robin

Stauffers Feed Mill...get the heavier ones they last longer. We used the spring assist driver. to get them in the ground. The cheaper thinner ones are not made for horse fencing and bend easy. They are more for chicken and small pet containment. They will snap off at ground level and take less time to rust.

I have the heavier ones throughout my fields and pastures and i would not
jip myself to try and use the cheaper ones.

fredsaid2

Stauffers Feed Mill...get the heavier ones they last longer. We used the spring assist driver. to get them in the ground. The cheaper thinner ones are not made for horse fencing and bend easy. They are more for chicken and small pet containment. They will snap off at ground level and take less time to rust.

Another thing to add to my list for them. Someone's getting a new buggy out of me! :lmao:

Sparks

That's probably smart. Plus, I'll never hear the end of it if they start bending when he's pounding them in the ground. :whistle:

Robin

I recommend the driver with spring assist. them other ones are about 10.00 less and harder on the arms and shoulders. the spring helps to set it back up for you, instead of you lifting each time you jam.:killingme

Sparks

Thanks. We borrowed regular one from a neighbor, maybe I'll just buy our own - with the spring assist if it make the job easier. I wanted to set posts on sunday after the rain we're supposed to get, softer ground hopefully.

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
I recommend the driver with spring assist. them other ones are about 10.00 less and harder on the arms and shoulders. the spring helps to set it back up for you, instead of you lifting each time you jam.:killingme

whats really fun:sarcasm: is when your husband says, " here, hold this stake straight" and he lifts the sledge hammer to drive it in...and its a swing and a miss, right on the hands holding it!:jet:

Robin

whats really fun:sarcasm: is when your husband says, " here, hold this stake straight" and he lifts the sledge hammer to drive it in...and its a swing and a miss, right on the hands holding it!:jet:

That is why us smart women purchase the er er er spring loaded t post driver and spend 10.00 more, so we dont have to hold the post and stay out of harms way:killingme

spellbound

The last time I checked, the feed mill's prices were more expensive than SS.

I just use a small sledge hammer with one hand and hold the post with the other hand.

Tazgirl

Slowpoke made a cool tubular thingy that just slams them in the ground, it's short enough that your hands are safe and better yet, it's so heavy that I can't lift it:whistle: so it means he gets to put all the posts in.:lmao:

Robin

The last time I checked, the feed mill's prices were more expensive than SS.

I just use a small sledge hammer with one hand and hold the post with the other hand.

We got over 200. They gave us a price break to order a large amount. So it was probably close in price, SS did not have too many in stock at the time and I think they were not as heavy or strong. We purchased 5 1/2 footers. they are about 4 1/2 ft on top. We set them 20 ft apart and have 1/2 in white tape, 3 strands. Works great a looks good.

Robin

Slowpoke made a cool tubular thingy that just slams them in the ground, it's short enough that your hands are safe and better yet, it's so heavy that I can't lift it:whistle: so it means he gets to put all the posts in.:lmao:

Slowpoke made a great tool!

It was easier for me to purchase, Tractor supply in White Plains.

Sparks

We got over 200. They gave us a price break to order a large amount. So it was probably close in price, SS did not have too many in stock at the time and I think they were not as heavy or strong. We purchased 5 1/2 footers. they are about 4 1/2 ft on top. We set them 20 ft apart and have 1/2 in white tape, 3 strands. Works great a looks good.

I think I only need about 50. Husband said we got the last ones at SS in Hughesville so I'll probably buy from there again this time. Oh, and their prices are much better than the SS in Upper Marlboro, which is where I checked first.

We did ours similar to yours except we put ours about 12' apart and used black tape. I love that tape fence! I wish my charger was stronger though.

Last edited:

SPF001

I wonder where the price break is at. We need about 100-150 I think. I know last time we put them in it went fast about 1-2 minutes per post but some how I was able to hit myself in the head with the post driver. Not fun and I still had 5 more posts to do after that.

Simple Pleasures Farm

Robin

I wonder where the price break is at. We need about 100-150 I think. I know last time we put them in it went fast about 1-2 minutes per post but some how I was able to hit myself in the head with the post driver. Not fun and I still had 5 more posts to do after that.

Simple Pleasures Farm

I cant remember how many are bundled together, stop by and talk to them. they will let you know. Also call SS and see if they give discounts for qty purchases. I know I am registered in their computer for price breaks too for lg qty purchases. any breaks help.

chevylover

PIP ~ My Baby Boy!

Simple Pleasures Farm

Yeah, my brother-in-law managed to hit himself in the head with the driver, too, but he ended up having to get several staples in the middle of the top of his head.