Take THAT, Paul Ryan.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
He has? Can you show me where he's said that?

What I have heard Trump say is that he (the federal government) is going to force states and insurance companies to open up borders for the purpose of purchasing insurance across state lines (at least that's how I understand that). He also explicitly said that Obamacare is going to be repealed and replaced; which I interpret as - it's going to be replaced with a federalized program/law. What is that going to look like? Why is the federal government responsible for making sure EVERYONE is covered?

Not everyone in the US. Vrai and I have said ad nauseam those who cannot provide for themselves.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Not everyone in the US. Vrai and I have said ad nauseam those who cannot provide for themselves.

As much as I do care what you and Vrai think in terms of your needs and such for healthcare, I also care about what Trump means when he says we (the federal government) are going to take care of everybody; not just those who can't provide for themselves, but everybody. And let me take this a bit further... I have no problem with a state-level healthcare law in-so-much-as that's what that state decided they want. That falls directly in line with the constitution. I have a problem with federalized universal healthcare, which is what Trump is promoting.

This_person

Dunno. Ask him. I'm sure he has an email address. :yay:

I already know that there is no authority given the federal government. You have finally acknowledged that you don't really know what Trump is proposing, nor what limits exist on the federal government. Surely we can agree on the solution to this being you become more informed!

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I already know that there is no authority given the federal government. You have finally acknowledged that you don't really know what Trump is proposing, nor what limits exist on the federal government. Surely we can agree on the solution to this being you become more informed!

Nope. Basically, I am not going to be your Trump interpreter over and over again. You are too busy trying to play "gotcha" with everything I post.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You asked for just one: dissolve the Department of Education.

Fair enough. OK, so, how? If this is merely an Everest as opposed to an objectively impossible thing, you sincerely believe there is popular will to do this? I'm asking.

We know something like 70% of us favor term limits for congress and it doesn't happen so, I concede there could be the will. Where is it?

In 1994, Newt did nothing about it. In 2000, Dubbya expanded it. Those were the two strongest moments of GOP, ostensibly conservative, elected power and in the first case, nothing was done and in the second, with ALL the power possible, potus, congress, courts, state houses, and federal power over education was increased, massively.

How is the Dept of Ed going to be closed?

Hijinx

Fair enough. OK, so, how? If this is merely an Everest as opposed to an objectively impossible thing, you sincerely believe there is popular will to do this? I'm asking.

We know something like 70% of us favor term limits for congress and it doesn't happen so, I concede there could be the will. Where is it?

In 1994, Newt did nothing about it. In 2000, Dubbya expanded it. Those were the two strongest moments of GOP, ostensibly conservative, elected power and in the first case, nothing was done and in the second, with ALL the power possible, potus, congress, courts, state houses, and federal power over education was increased, massively.

There will never be term limits as long as those old career politician a-holes can do anything about it.

Does anyone really believe they want to give up a cushiony job with secretarys and staff, and a lifetime pension and go back to work practicing law?
In some case they never practiced cases like Steny boy who went in and never came out./

If these aren't career jobs there would be no reason for lifetime pensions. They could serve two terms and come out with no pension. I like that.

This_person

Nope. Basically, I am not going to be your Trump interpreter over and over again. You are too busy trying to play "gotcha" with everything I post.

So, you know but you're refusing to tell me?

I'm not trying to play "gotcha". I'm merely reporting what I see Trump saying and why, and you're telling me what you think. How is that "gotcha" from either one of us?

This_person

Why don't you ask Obama he is the one who started this BS. Ask Pelosi.

Obama and Pelosi's parents weren't born yet when scrapping the limits on the federal government in favor of "what's right" became the policy of the federal government.

This_person

The first thing to do is in the first year of an administration (recall that the budget for the president's first year is established by his/her predecessor) the Secretary would be advised to make preparations. That would mean a lot of things, and what I'm about to list would be nowhere near the all-inclusive list, but it would include things like:

• Convening conventions of state department of education officials and informing them that the dept. would be closed in 3-4 years, and should make preparations to work together to establish mutually-agreeable policies and processes to work together. Tell them that what they do is, constitutionally, up to them, but that the federal Dept. of Education would no longer be involved in any regulation on local education in any way by the end of the third year of the current administration.
  • Have Dept. of Education staff comb through all relevant laws and provide a bill for Congress to remove all mentions, authorities, and responsibilities (including financial) of the Dept. of Education
  • Ensure a full explanation of this plan is included in the first SOTU speech. Include information on how this is not an attempt to rid Americans of education, but placing the authority and responsibility on the state levels, meaning the People would have more control of what happens in their state. After all, state Dept. of Education administrators are only controlled on the state level, so there would be no intrusion of administration members influenced by larger states deciding what education policy is in their state.
  • Work with OPM to determine the right thing to do with department employees - making them priority over outsiders for other government positions being filled, provide early retirement, etc.
  • Determine what staff would be required after the dissolving of the Department to handle the legacy issues associated with loan enforcement and similar long-term items.
  • Provide a broad staff to assist Congress with handling the unforeseen questions that will come up with respect to the bill previously provided and champion the bill to ensure it gets through with minimal changes
  • Provide an advertising (er, "educational") budget to help Americans who are going to be bombarded with the obvious lies and distractions and distortions of the change so that people can turn the inevitable "the Administration wants to stop poor kids from getting education" crap with accurate and compelling information - like, your state is allowed to fund whatever they want however they want now with no interference from outsiders, and that the costs of federal education requirements will no longer be unfunded mandates to states (use this as a great foundation for the future push to repeal the horrific 17th amendment - but I digress)
  • Over the course of the years, enact the plan. Sleep better at night knowing Americans have more control over their children's education and the government is doing the right thing constitutionally.

Vrai is absolutely right - changing the course of the ship of state is a long, slow, labored process that requires significant effort and determination.

That's not a reason to not try to do it.