Taylor Lorenz Says She DISABLED

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Taylor Lorenz: TikTok has replaced Twitter as the global town square

That's funny … we'd thought that Mastodon had replaced Twitter as the global town square. After all, every person who was butthurt over the idea of Elon Musk buying Twitter said their goodbyes and tweeted out their Mastodon handles so you'd know where to find them. Half of Twitter was moving to Mastodon. Now there's Threads, which seems to be ban-heavy, like Twitter 1.0.

But there's also TikTok. The only time this editor sees TikTok videos is when someone publishes them on Twitter. The most recent trend was to shoot video of yourself taking a sip of Grimace's birthday shake from McDonald's and then either waking up in your underwear in the forest or gnawing on the shoulder of your buddy or just passed out dead.

Taylor Lorenz, who's the expert on these things, says that TikTok has overtaken Twitter as the global town square:

Musk also fired Twitter’s trust and safety team, allowing harassment and abuse to explode across the platform unchecked. He’s banned prominent journalists and liberal activists. He’s railed against LGTBQ people and declared the word “cisgender” a slur. If that wasn’t enough to drive the most dedicated Twitter users to greener pastures, last week he began limiting the number of tweets users could read, blocking nonpaying users from being served more than 600 tweets per day.
All of this has led users to stop relying on the service. Daniel, 17, a rising senior in a Philadelphia high school who asked to be referred to by only his first name because he’s underage, said Twitter is simply “not the spot” anymore. “People my age are going to Instagram and TikTok before they go to Twitter,” he said.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Earlier today, Libs of Tik Tok's Chaya Raichik called out Harvard Law Cyberlaw Clinic clinical instructor, radical trans activist, and certifiable stalker Alejandra Caraballo for being obsessed with her.

It's always them. And given the disturbing nature of Alejandra Caraballo's radical trans activism, it's arguably not even slanderous to refer to her as a groomer. She's angry because she got into trouble, but maybe even more than that, she's absolutely furious because there's something to her critics' accusations.

And we'll bet you every dollar we have between all of us that if Alejandra had been left by Threads to her own devices and seen this tweet from Libs of Tik Tok, she not only wouldn't have defended Chaya Raichik, but she would have celebrated it as a victory for trans rights and justice in general:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

‘Facebook F—ed Up’: Taylor Lorenz Tells the Untold History of the Internet in Upcoming Book ‘Extremely Online’

What previously untold story about the internet were you trying to tell with this book?

There’s been a lot of phenomenal books written about the corporate side of social media. I loved Nick Bilton’s “Hatching Twitter,” Sarah Frier’s “No Filter,” Mark Bergen’s “Like, Comment, Subscribe.” These are all seminal books about the different platforms, and, obviously, the hundred Facebook books that we have in the world. They all tell the story of the rise of social media through the lens of specific platforms and really the corporate — they get into the user side a little bit — but it’s mostly these corporate tales.

I wanted to talk about the rise of social media from the user side. I don’t cover tech on the corporate side. I cover it from the user side, so more how people use technology and social media and how it evolves through the lens of this half-a-trillion-dollar industry that’s emerged out of it, which is the content creator industry, and talk about how the rise of social media facilitated this massive industry and how the moments on the internet that we look back on as silly little things — like, “Oh, I remember when that happened” — were actually really pivotal in shaping the modern internet that we have today.

I also think it’s important to set the record straight on where the “creator economy” emerged from, because in 2021, when Silicon Valley finally woke up and was forced to take internet culture seriously because of the pandemic, there was just so much revisionist history. They were talking about how MrBeast founded the notion of productizing himself — that’s just not true. Beauty vloggers were doing that back in 2012. Mommy bloggers pioneered a lot of these revenue streams, so I wanted to also talk about that. No one has written that history, that’s just an industry that that hasn’t been covered outside of marketing books or books that are focused on specific content creators. I wanted to write an internet history book, the rise of the social internet, but not just YouTube, not just Instagram. I love those books, I can’t express enough… I just feel like they’re pieces of the puzzle. And I wanted to put together the whole thing.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Smackdown: Taylor Lorenz's new book gets panned as garbage

By Monica Showalter

Lorenz, recall, is the Washington Post charmer who's supposedly the Voice of the Millennial, the youthquake explosion, the internet 'influencer' of the 'influencers.'

She's also a barftastic leftist, and worse still, a pretty unethical one.

She's the one who famously doxxed the owner of the Libs of TikTok Twitter account, and apparently lied to her editor about consulting her sources. I wrote about her here. Then when Elon Musk bought Twitter and started releasing all the company's secrets, it came to light that she had the censorship bug in her and exerted it with some kind of pull on that site, getting the accounts of genuine men of science such as Stanford University's Dr. Jay Bhattacharya, banned from the platform. "We need to be careful of her," one Twitter exec told another. She's a rich, cossetted whiner who whines a lot and has powerful relatives, as I noted here.

Now she's got a book out, and a book review, and man does it suck.

According to Andrew Stiles at the Washington Free Beacon:

7_232_19.gif

Extremely Online: The Untold Story of Fame, Influence, and Power on the Internet, which Lorenz wrote "almost entirely from bed, as a medically vulnerable person (still!) trying to survive a deadly pandemic while being doxxed, stalked, harassed, and attacked by some of the worst corners of the internet," is indeed a chronicle of incoherent youth.
But it is not a worthwhile book. Not in the conventional sense, at least. Future historians (or alien conquerors) may one day consider Extremely Online as a crucial primary text in "The History of the Decline and Fall of the American Empire." For the vast majority of mentally stable humans living today, Lorenz's "social history of social media" is neither interesting nor comprehensible. A "who?" followed by a "who cares?"
Written in the breathless style of a pre-teen internet (and Adderall) addict composing the Wikipedia entry for "Content Creator," the book bombards us with words and names you've never heard and will wish you hadn't: DigiTour, ROFLCon, A Night to ReMEMEber, lifecasting, ceWEBrities, FameBall, Webutante, Young Klout Gang (not to be confused with the Clout Gang), Keemstar, Dramageddon, Hype House, Drib Crib, Vlog Squad, FaZe Clan, GrapeStory, Lilhuddy, Dax Flame, Pokimane, Fred Figglehorn, WhataDayDerek, Lonelygirl15, Vsauce, Smosh, TheBdonski, among others.
Lorenz considers the social media "revolution"—specifically, the emergence of "influencing" or "content creating" or "going viral" as an increasingly viable path to fame and fortune—to be "the greatest and most disruptive change in modern capitalism," the results of which have been "socially and economically liberating" for "millions who were previously marginalized," including but not limited to teenagers who don't want to get a real job when they grow up.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Taylor Lorenz Whines About Missing Christmas, Blames the Unmasked

When it comes to the COVID-19 hysteria, it appears most people have moved on. But others can’t seem to let the pandemic go. Washington Post media activist Taylor Lorenz is one of the latter. Since it became clear that the coronavirus was no longer a threat, she has been insisting that the rest of the nation should still go through mask and vaccine mandates and take precautions to keep people like her safe.

The alleged reporter has even taken to portraying herself as “disabled” because she supposedly is still vulnerable to the virus. On Saturday, she replied to a user on Threads claiming that she is missing the fourth Christmas in a row because her friends and family refuse to mask up, meaning that she cannot enjoy the festivities.

Totally agree with you on the mitigation advice, but I very much judge anyone who participates in the social murder of disabled people just because it's 'the holidays.' Many of us who are high risk are missing our FOURTH Christmas because other selfish people can't be bothered to mask and take basic precautions that allow us to safely participate in public life. They don't feel enough shame and judgement imo, instead infection has been fully normalized.

Earlier in July, Lorenz wrote a post on X, formerly known as Twitter, whining because people had moved on from the pandemic and were no longer ensconced in the COVID hysteria. She claimed people believe that disabled people “should shut up and die already” and called out leftist influencers for “spouting COVID takes that are farther right and more extreme than Trump.”

Lorenz has exhibited this type of entitled behavior for years. In this case, she seems to authentically believe that the rest of the nation should bend over backward to make people like her feel safe. The notion that she thinks everyone else should be living under the same conditions as we did when the pandemic first started is about as obnoxious as it gets, especially considering that the precautions and restrictions that were foisted on the populace were never necessary in the first place.

Fortunately for the rest of us, Lorenz has no power to impose any of these restrictions. If she wants to miss Christmas again, that is certainly her prerogative. But if she wants to live in COVID-land, she will likely have to wait until the next pandemic hits.

Depoliticizing Social Murder in the COVID-19 Pandemic

By Nate Holdren

Lire en français.

The present pandemic nightmare is the most recent and an especially acute manifestation of capitalist society’s tendency to kill many, regularly, a tendency that Friedrich Engels called “social murder.” Capitalism kills because destructive behaviors are, to an important extent, compulsory in this kind of society. Enough businesses must make enough money or serious social consequences follow — for them, their employees, and for government. In order for that to happen, the rest of us must continue the economic activities that are obligatory to maintain such a society.

That these activities are obligatory means capitalist societies are market dependent: market participation is not optional, but mandatory. As Beatrice Adler-Bolton has put it, in capitalism “you are entitled to the survival you can buy,” and so people generally do what they have to in order to get money. The predictable results are that some people don’t get enough money to survive; some people endure danger due to harmful working, living, and environmental conditions; some people endure lack of enough goods and services of a high enough quality to promote full human flourishing; and some people inflict the above conditions on others. The simple, brutal reality is that capitalism kills many, regularly. (The steadily building apocalypse of the climate crisis is another manifestation of the tendency to social murder, as is the very old and still ongoing killing of workers in the ordinary operations of so many workplaces.)

The tendency to social murder creates potential problems that governments must manage, since states too are subject to pressures and tendencies arising from capitalism. They find themselves facing the results of social murder, results they are expected to respond to, with their options relatively constrained by the limits placed on them by capitalism. Within that context governments often resort to a specific tactic of governance: depoliticization.

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Taylor Lorenz BRUTALLY MOCKED Over "Identifying As Disabled" In UNHINGED Christmas MELTDOWN​

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm fascinated by her book and tempted to read it, but I'm afraid it will sap my brain cells and I need those.

My problem is that I'm interested in a subject few people care about, and the ones that do care about it are leftwing progbot nutjobs who don't have an honest bone in their body. I joined a Social Science sub in Reddit but the whole thing was so devoid of self-awareness it was worthless. The second you question their political agenda - which isn't supposed to be there anyway - my god, they descend like a pack of ravening wolves.

Taylor Lorenz is the poster child for the cusp of the generation right after hers. She is ignorant, entitled, displays a complete lack of self-awareness, she's half illiterate, has every fad ailment known to man, and lives her life almost completely online. She's a nasty immature bully who whines like a submissive peeing cur dog when anyone pushes back at her. And that woman is almost 40 years old, acting like that.

40 years old, people.

What were you doing when you were 40? Because Taylor Lorenz is acting like a 12 year old on the internet to get likes from mental midgets and social malcontents. That seems so sad to me, and yet this life failure is considered influential.

:crazy:

But her aside - because I genuinely don't care about her or any other internet rando - what does this say about our society and future? I'm 60 and have maybe 20 years left or whatever, but what about young people just starting out? What kind of country are we leaving them when we've allowed the Taylor Lorenzes to become socially influential? It amazes me that there are so many dysfunctionals in our country that people like Lorenz have a following.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Taylor Lorenz is the poster child for the cusp of the generation right after hers. She is ignorant, entitled, displays a complete lack of self-awareness, she's half illiterate, has every fad ailment known to man, and lives her life almost completely online. She's a nasty immature bully who whines like a submissive peeing cur dog when anyone pushes back at her.

You should have written the foreward for her book.

:lmao:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Taylor Lorenz is the poster child for the cusp of the generation right after hers. She is ignorant, entitled, displays a complete lack of self-awareness, she's half illiterate, has every fad ailment known to man, and lives her life almost completely online.

She comes from money and privilege as well .,... a spoiled brat that never had to face and adversity .. thus her reaction to being called out on her bullshit

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Really? Taylor Lorenz Says Gaza Is Being Slammed With COVID Variants 'Cooked Up in the USA'

We weren't sure if we should do a post on this … it seems so ridiculous as to be an obvious fake. But a quick look through disabled and super-immunocompromised Taylor Lorenz's Threads timeline shows that she's still obsessed with the COVID pandemic, which is still going on, by the way. Lorenz just spent her fourth Christmas alone because people can't be bothered to wear N95 masks.

This NBC News story dates back to October, a couple of weeks after Hamas slaughtered Israeli citizens and Israel decided to cut off electricity and water in retaliation. That was no problem for Hamas, which has stashed plenty of food and water in its tunnels, but for civilians, NBC News reported, they were forced to drink and cook with tainted water, "rife with bacteria that can lead to violent intestinal diseases, such as dysentery and cholera."

This was just the beginning of the sympathy campaign for Gaza in the American media.

Taylor Lorenz, the internet reporter who has her X feed locked up tight, allegedly claimed that COVID was raging in Gaza. Not just regular COVID, but "variants cooked up in the USA" by people who won't even wear masks in grocery stores so the disabled like Lozenz could buy food.

It's got it all — COVID and Gaza. No conspiracy theories here, though:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Taylor Lorenz is so desperate for attention I have to wonder what her upbringing was like. I picture parents who ignored her and she jumped around like an organ grinder monkey trying to get them to notice her.

Reactions: BOP