Teen (non-) drivers

Sweet 16

^^8^^
AAA: Teens delay getting driver's permits | WJLA.com

I don't get it -- I couldn't wait to get even my learner's and it drove me nuts waiting an extra 6 months to get my license until I got my grades up. The only thing I can figure is kids today have gotten so used to being chauffeured to so many activities, whereas we walked or biked everywhere that didn't involve busy highways so the idea of motorized transport was a novelty and a huge motivator. My own kid was in no hurry to get his. I still don't get it. :confused:

bcp

In My Opinion

I don't get it -- I couldn't wait to get even my learner's and it drove me nuts waiting an extra 6 months to get my license until I got my grades up. The only thing I can figure is kids today have gotten so used to being chauffeured to so many activities, whereas we walked or biked everywhere that didn't involve busy highways so the idea of motorized transport was a novelty and a huge motivator. My own kid was in no hurry to get his. I still don't get it. :confused:

3.65 a gallon for fuel, 250 a month for insurance, most jobs at entry level that used to be had by the teens are now held by middle age illegals.

I think that those teens wanting to hold off are being realistic and considering all of the costs that come with driving.

We got my daughter the car, but she is responsible for coming up with the payment each month, so far, she has not asked for gas money. Right now we are eating the insurance on adding her, but as she starts to make more, we intend to start shifting that cost over to her.

Vince

Week after I got my permit, got my license, but back then you drove stuff around the farm and around town. Driving since I was 12 and as short as I am it wasn't easy. :lol:

Cheeky1

Yae warsh wif' wutr

Owning and operating an automobile is expensive and the dollar doesn't seem as if it goes quite as far as it used to.

I rode the bus to school up until, almost, the last day of my senior year of high school, and then drove my car. I wasn't getting what I wanted, but that didn't matter. I couldn't afford to drive it until I began working fulltime. Perhaps your generation also had greater freedoms and opportunities combined with the economic environment to permit the execution of them.

MAV

I understand what you are saying....I couldn't wait to get my license either...but times were different then, costs were down, you learned how to drive from your parents and a class that was taught by the school (not paying for lessons). Now as I'm driving on the streets today, I wish more young adults (and some older adults) would have waited to get their license....at least waited until I wasn't driving anymore....some of the drivers out there missed a lot of the driving lessons they should have learned and have no business being on the roads.

bcp

In My Opinion
I saw a drivers ed car go past my office today, it got stopped at the light so I had a bit of time to stand there looking and shaking my head.
the car had 3 teens in it, and the instructor, the side view mirror on the passenger door had been hit and was dangling off the side of the car.
and yet, the one driving was a teen, and the instructor was sitting in the passenger seat.
now how safe can that be?

DEEKAYPEE8569

Week after I got my permit, got my license, but back then you drove stuff around the farm and around town. Driving since I was 12 and as short as I am it wasn't easy. :lol:

So you driving a winnebago (sp?) around is a sight to behold?

bcp

In My Opinion
So you driving a winnebago (sp?) around is a sight to behold?

from what Ive seen at most campgrounds, Vince is way too young, and way too tall to be driving something that big. Most the time the 40 ft motor coach pulls in, and out comes some 4ft tall 98 year old on a walker with oxygen tanks being pulled behind.
No need to worry about them on the road.

C

czygvtwkr

You can't text and play with your smart phone while driving, duh.

bcp

In My Opinion
daughters car has the blue tooth thing, if her smart phone is called while she is in the car, she can answer with a button on the steering wheel, then just talk, other end of the call comes through the radio speakers, Just like the onstar phone.

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!

Economics. It's cheaper to take public transportation. Driving and maintaining a car isn't cheap and $8/hour doesn't go as far as it used to. Add in DMV costs. And the cost of the car itself. Not to mention, cars aren't as reliable as they used to be. If you own a car and it breaks down, that would probably break someone who works a part-time, low wage job while attending school.

bcp

In My Opinion
Economics. It's cheaper to take public transportation. Driving and maintaining a car isn't cheap and $8/hour doesn't go as far as it used to. Add in DMV costs. And the cost of the car itself. Not to mention, cars aren't as reliable as they used to be. If you own a car and it breaks down, that would probably break someone who works a part-time, low wage job while attending school.

That break down part is why the daughter got the new car with extended warranty.
its one cost we don't have to worry about while she is going to college. (I hope)

C

czygvtwkr

daughters car has the blue tooth thing, if her smart phone is called while she is in the car, she can answer with a button on the steering wheel, then just talk, other end of the call comes through the radio speakers, Just like the onstar phone.

She *gasp* talks on her smart phone?

DipStick

That break down part is why the daughter got the new car with extended warranty.
its one cost we don't have to worry about while she is going to college. (I hope)

A lot of kids have to buy their own cars and simply can't afford the payments on a brand new car. Used cars are so hit or miss. I've paid $2,000 for a car that proved to be unreliable and I've paid $500 for a car that's been very reliable.

bcp

In My Opinion
A lot of kids have to buy their own cars and simply can't afford the payments on a brand new car. Used cars are so hit or miss. I've paid $2,000 for a car that proved to be unreliable and I've paid $500 for a car that's been very reliable.

by the time you find a good used car with not so many miles, that has all the safety crap in it, you are better off going new, the difference in the finance rates between new and used can make it a no brainer.

DipStick

by the time you find a good used car with not so many miles, that has all the safety crap in it, you are better off going new, the difference in the finance rates between new and used can make it a no brainer.

Finding a used car, cheap, with not many miles isn't an easy task.

But the hands free stuff - most of the car stereos they make now have all that stuff in it.

As for a good car - if you're low income, you can't afford to be too picky. Most of the kids that I know who can afford new cars tend to be some of the more reckless drivers. Personally, I think it's a good thing that kids can't afford to drive. Teaches them to budget better - put money elsewhere instead of in their cars. And when they can afford a car, they'll probably be more respectful because they don't want to do something stupid to destroy that car.

Last edited:

bcp

In My Opinion
Im sure we could have let the daughter go without the car.
would have only required one of us to quit work to drive her back and forth to classes and work all day.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Kids don't have jobs anymore, either. It's just the times we live in.

It will be interesting to see what this generation has to offer as adults.