Teeth Extraction - now have ulcers under dentures - help!

Restless

Hi!

I had 12 teeth extracted last Thursday, and new dentures put in right away. All my original top teeth are gone. My sockets are healing nicely, but now I have white ulcers rubbing against the dentures. It hurts like the dickens. Do any of you have any suggestions? I've been swishing my mouth with salt water. Thanks!

Roman

Hi!

I had 12 teeth extracted last Thursday, and new dentures put in right away. All my original top teeth are gone. My sockets are healing nicely, but now I have white ulcers rubbing against the dentures. It hurts like the dickens. Do any of you have any suggestions? I've been swishing my mouth with salt water. Thanks!
Your mail box is full. What you are going through is perfectly normal. Keep up with the salt water rinses. If things aren't any better by Wednesday, call the clinic. If there are ulcers on the gums, they can give you a medicine for that. I think it's called Kenalog with Orabase.

Restless

Thank you both! Roman, I emptied my mailbox. Sorry about that! I think I will call the clinic today because I still can't eat anything solid. I am so hungry!

Roman

Thank you both! Roman, I emptied my mailbox. Sorry about that! I think I will call the clinic today because I still can't eat anything solid. I am so hungry!
I feel for you right now, but it will only get better from here. I'm glad that you got the denture off, but no matter how bad you feel, make sure to keep it in except for cleaning. Have you had scrambled eggs? They can keep you full longer.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Whenever you get an ulcer from dentures or partials, you should always call the dentist that did the work. You need an adjustment. The ulcers will not go away if what's causing them is not fixed.

Restless

I will definitely let them know about the ulcers, getbent. They hurt!

Thanks, Roman, for the reminder to keep the dentures in. I have been tempted to take them out, but figured that that would not be wise. I just ran out of eggs, but am going out to get some shortly. I have been eating eggs and Mac and cheese, and last night some French toast. Ice cream and yogurt too.

Thank you all for your help!

lovinmaryland

I had a tooth removed and got an ulcer, when I went into the dentist office they used clove oil. It really helped w/ the pain. Might want to ask about that.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I will definitely let them know about the ulcers, getbent. They hurt!

Thanks, Roman, for the reminder to keep the dentures in. I have been tempted to take them out, but figured that that would not be wise. I just ran out of eggs, but am going out to get some shortly. I have been eating eggs and Mac and cheese, and last night some French toast. Ice cream and yogurt too.

Thank you all for your help!

Sometimes if you take them out too early, the gums swell and you won't be able to get the denture back in. You'll have to wait for the swelling to go down in order to put them back in.

Roman

Sometimes if you take them out too early, the gums swell and you won't be able to get the denture back in. You'll have to wait for the swelling to go down in order to put them back in.
The Doctors tell the patient to take the denture out only for cleaning purposes.

Restless

I called Thunderbird dental this morning but their office is closed until Thursday. I left a message on their answering machine and am hoping they check it. I just took the dentures out because it felt like something was stuck underneath. I put some Ambesol on the white sores, but it is sooo painful to put them back in. It actually made me cry and I am no wimp. I am leaving them out for a bit more until the sores numb up. This is no fun.

Roman

I called Thunderbird dental this morning but their office is closed until Thursday. I left a message on their answering machine and am hoping they check it. I just took the dentures out because it felt like something was stuck underneath. I put some Ambesol on the white sores, but it is sooo painful to put them back in. It actually made me cry and I am no wimp. I am leaving them out for a bit more until the sores numb up. This is no fun.
Now that the swelling is starting to go down a little, what you think is something stuck there, is probably a stitch. Continue with salt water rinses, being gentle of course. Call your general Dentist in the meantime if you need some additional pain relief. Cold drinks and ice cream are in order. Hang in there. Restless.

Restless

Now that the swelling is starting to go down a little, what you think is something stuck there, is probably a stitch. Continue with salt water rinses, being gentle of course. Call your general Dentist in the meantime if you need some additional pain relief. Cold drinks and ice cream are in order. Hang in there. Restless.

Thank you so much, Roman. You have been a huge help.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
The Doctors tell the patient to take the denture out only for cleaning purposes.

Yes, generally 24 hours after extraction and insert of denture. Of course I have no knowledge of Thunderbird only about local dentists.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R

Dentures are definitely no fun. I've had people joke about wishing they could just pull all their teeth and get a denture, less to worry about. No, you really don't wish that. It's just a whole different set of issues. Sore spots, adjustments, relining them when your gums shrink and possibly a whole new pair once they can no longer be relined. I agree with whoever said calling your local dentist and see if they can check you out. I hope you feel better soon!

Restless

Dentures are definitely no fun. I've had people joke about wishing they could just pull all their teeth and get a denture, less to worry about. No, you really don't wish that. It's just a whole different set of issues. Sore spots, adjustments, relining them when your gums shrink and possibly a whole new pair once they can no longer be relined. I agree with whoever said calling your local dentist and see if they can check you out. I hope you feel better soon!

Thank you, Getbent! You have been very helpful.