Teeth whitening

If you've ever gone to a dentist for teeth whitening, how much did it cost? I don't mean where they do it for you in the dentists office, I mean where they make form-fitting trays for your mouth and you do it yourself at home?

My teeth are white, but I'd like them to be even whiter. My dentist charges $800.00 (and that's a special they're running right now), where a coworker just called her dentist and they charge $250.00. That's a huge difference!

I'd like to know what others were charged. :tap:

C

chess

800 sounds VERY VERY HIGH... Who is your dentist...

I goto Dr Modic up in Mech... Awesome guy I must say.... They arent that badly priced if I remember...

Vince

chess said:

I goto Dr Modic up in Mech... Awesome guy I must say.... They arent that badly priced if I remember...
Had mine done a few years ago and it was between 400 and 600. And when they were done with that ultrasonics or whatever they use, my teeth hurt like hell for about 2 days. Do the alternate method.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I used teeth whitening in the past on two separate occasions using two different methods and two different dentists. Since both scenarios took my insurance, I don't recall the price that I paid.

Be careful, though, or you may encounter the same problems that I had:

Experience #1 - teeth whitening at the dentist's office. Dentist applied a series of chemicals to my teeth and then applied a blue light to "set" the chemicals that actually whiten the teeth. My teeth must be particularly sensitive, because I suffered horrific pain. The best analogy I can come up with is this: if you took a hot steaming cup of coffee and inserted a couple of ice cubes in it, and the crackling that you get in the ice cubes - the nerves in my teeth reacted in much the same way. My head felt like it was going to explode. I couldn't tolerate the pain, so I never went back for the multiple sessions.

Experience #2 - teeth trays were made by the dentist and gels were provided to me to fill each night and wear while sleeping. The trays fit really well, but the gel stuff made the nerves in my teeth ache in agony. I tried different strength of gels with different chemical compositions, but they all caused my nerves to react the same. I tried for probably a week using the trays, and I had to take two Tylenol PM's when I went to sleep to try to minimize the pain. I'd still wake up each night wishing that I had a chainsaw to lop off my head. The trays/gel was too painful for me to to continue.

So, to sum things up, I paid a lot of money - and insurance paid a CRAPLOAD of money - for something that I couldn't use because of the pain.

Most people have lots of success with both of these methods of teeth whitening, though.

I ended up with vaneers, which is a different story altogether. :bawl:

nomoney

did the take home tray type ....it was free for new customers from neubaur...still think they do it....just did a new customer just for that and I'm back with my family one now. They said it retails for $500 so think 250 on up is about right. after all is said and done, honestly, I like the crest strips better.

Vince

BadGirl said:
Experience #1 - teeth whitening at the dentist's office. Dentist applied a series of chemicals to my teeth and then applied a blue light to "set" the chemicals that actually whiten the teeth. My teeth must be particularly sensitive, because I suffered horrific pain. The best analogy I can come up with is this: if you took a hot steaming cup of coffee and inserted a couple of ice cubes in it, and the crackling that you get in the ice cubes - the nerves in my teeth reacted in much the same way. My head felt like it was going to explode. I couldn't tolerate the pain, so I never went back for the multiple sessions.
:yeahthat: Same experience and they said that only happens to a few. Well, I must have been one of the few.

sarahblk

Sleep Deprived
greyhound said:
I used the Crest white strips...They really work.
I agree. Have you tired crest white strips?
They work great and are cheap. They have a new kind that works in just 7 days. May be worth looking into.

forever jewel

Green Eyed Lady
I'd buy the Crest White Strips for $20-30 instead of $400-800 dentist whitening. I'm sure they will work just as well. The few times I've used them, I had to do it once a day (as opposed to the instructed twice a day method) because my teeth began to get sensitive. But the good thing about the white strips is you do it at your own pace and they're cheap :yay:

chess said:

My dentist is in Clinton. I'm going to check around with some dentists in Calvert to see what they charge.

I didn't bother to ask my dentist what their regular price is. :shocked:

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
Speedy70 said:
I tried those and didn't see a difference. I want WHITE teeth.

Wow - I've been using Crest White Strips for about 3 years now; I just keep them handy and use them about once every 2 or 3 weeks; people are always complimenting me on how white my teeth are, and I smoke, drink coffee, soda and tea all day long.

greyhound

nachomama said:
Wow - I've been using Crest White Strips for about 3 years now; I just keep them handy and use them about once every 2 or 3 weeks; people are always complimenting me on how white my teeth are, and I smoke, drink coffee, soda and tea all day long.

I'm a coffee & tea drinker. I could see a difference after the 7 days. They were much whiter. I haven't used them since july...I can see the difference in my teeth. I need to do them again. The nice thing is after the first 7 day application, you only need "touch ups".

gumby

I AM GUMBY DAMMIT
Crest has put out a new whitening mouthwash that seems to wprk. Only been using it for a couple of weeks, but I have noticed a difference and after you spit it out, you'll notice a white foam between your teeth. :shrug: We'll see.

Pandora

A trick to whiter teeth is to soak your dental floss in peroxide. In about 2-weeks, you’ll notice your teeth are whiter.

Or you could just say hell with all that and rinse it around your mouth every evening.

BRITUSA

BRITUSA
Speedy70 said:
My dentist is in Clinton. I'm going to check around with some dentists in Calvert to see what they charge.

I didn't bother to ask my dentist what their regular price is. :shocked:

I went to Dr Gainer on Great mills Rd and he charged me $300 for the trays and product. I was told to use Sensitive toothpaste a couple of days before starting to bleach my teeth and to continue to use it whilst bleaching. I had a bit of sensitivety b ut nothing I couldnt handle. Once you have the trays the cost of getting more bleaching product was $30. My daughter has used the Crest strips but you have more chance of the bleach getting on your gums as they are one size fits all kind of deal. So she did complain of sensitivity :( Good Luck in what you choose.