Texas Cops Realized They Raided the Wrong House. They Kept Searching Anyway.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
In November of 2018, Lucil Basco of Bexar County, Texas, awoke to a thunderous boom, followed by a parade of eight cops barging through her front door. She was handcuffed, and, with her screaming child, removed from the premises. The officers soon realized they made a mistake: They had the wrong house, based on incorrect information from a confidential informant. Yet they continued the operation anyway.

Three of those Bexar County sheriff's deputies—James Hancock, Jacob Rodriguez, and Bryan Smith—are not entitled to qualified immunity, the legal doctrine that allows state actors to violate your rights if the precise scenario in question has not yet been ruled unconstitutional in a prior court precedent. They can thus be sued for it, a federal court said this week.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
In November of 2018, Lucil Basco of Bexar County, Texas, awoke to a thunderous boom, followed by a parade of eight cops barging through her front door. She was handcuffed, and, with her screaming child, removed from the premises. The officers soon realized they made a mistake: They had the wrong house, based on incorrect information from a confidential informant. Yet they continued the operation anyway.

Three of those Bexar County sheriff's deputies—James Hancock, Jacob Rodriguez, and Bryan Smith—are not entitled to qualified immunity, the legal doctrine that allows state actors to violate your rights if the precise scenario in question has not yet been ruled unconstitutional in a prior court precedent. They can thus be sued for it, a federal court said this week.

You cherrypick like a prog. "Look! See this one incident? OMG that means it happens ALL the time! ALL cops do this! Everyone I know is the victim of a bad cop!!"

That sort of crap is why I stopped reading Reason. I'm sick of sensationalized agenda mongering.

glhs837

Power with Control
You cherrypick like a prog. "Look! See this one incident? OMG that means it happens ALL the time! ALL cops do this! Everyone I know is the victim of a bad cop!!"

That sort of crap is why I stopped reading Reason. I'm sick of sensationalized agenda mongering.
What in his post seems to indicate that he's indicting all officers? Pointing out some cops screwing up doesn't mean you think all cops are bad.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What in his post seems to indicate that he's indicting all officers? Pointing out some cops screwing up doesn't mean you think all cops are bad.

Because he does it all the time, clearly to provoke a response, and this is mine.

What if I were constantly starting threads about dog groomers who mistreat their canine customers? Wouldn't you get the impression that I didn't like dog groomers and was trying to perpetuate an image of them as dangerous? Wouldn't you think I was cherrypicking stories to create that impression?

I have a whole rant about "journalists" and internet randos sinking their teeth into an issue and dredging up stories to support their agenda, ignoring any stories that don't fit the narrative they're trying to push. This particular agenda irritates me because we've been through a year+ of demonizing cops and putting them through the wringer, and we can see how that turned out: crime through the roof. So I just feel like we could give the cop-bashing a rest.

glhs837

Power with Control
Because he does it all the time, clearly to provoke a response, and this is mine.

What if I were constantly starting threads about dog groomers who mistreat their canine customers? Wouldn't you get the impression that I didn't like dog groomers and was trying to perpetuate an image of them as dangerous? Wouldn't you think I was cherrypicking stories to create that impression?

I have a whole rant about "journalists" and internet randos sinking their teeth into an issue and dredging up stories to support their agenda, ignoring any stories that don't fit the narrative they're trying to push. This particular agenda irritates me because we've been through a year+ of demonizing cops and putting them through the wringer, and we can see how that turned out: crime through the roof. So I just feel like we could give the cop-bashing a rest.

I think holding the light on bad examples is a good way to help prevent future occurrences. Ignoring bad cops in the name of not tarnishing the reputation is a Bad Idea. There are far more good cops than bad, but until the good officers and the systems that work very hard to protect bad officers stop doing so, its up to citizens. "I knew Schmuckatelli was crossing the line, but I didnt say anything". The Navy had this problem with pilots up into the 70s and 80s and finally tackled it hard. Law enforcement needs to do the same.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think holding the light on bad examples is a good way to help prevent future occurrences.

How so? Do you think some bad cop is going to go, "Gee, I better not take this bribe or kick in this door or Gurps might post a thread about me on the Somd.com forums"?

I just made a post in that wreck thread opining that humans are gonna human, and they don't give any thought to consequences when they're in the moment.

Also, I have a problem with Reason. They push these stories, put their spin on it, and many times when the real story with evidence comes out it's nothing like what Reason dreamed up. They are agenda driven fake news, no different than CNN or MSNBC, and I take their hysterics with a grain of salt (when I read them at all).

glhs837

Power with Control
Ignore the hysterics, just pay attention to verifiable facts. The whole baby/bathwater thing. And no, no officer is going to change based on Gurps actions, only lawsuits and punishment and local public exposure will do that. But all citizens should be aware of both how officers can do bad, and how systems that should be exposing and punishing them instead protect them at citizens expense.