Thanksgiving Recipes

bubble_gum_yum

With Turkey Day fast approaching, I was wondering what is a favorite dish in your family that you just can't go without each year? I'd love to incorporate some new dishes into my Thanksgiving spread this year........ :drool:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Green bean casserole :yum:

Also, Larry's step-mom does a sauerkraut dish that just didn't say "Thanksgiving" to me, but now I can't imagine the meal without it.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Also, Larry's step-mom does a sauerkraut dish that just didn't say "Thanksgiving" to me, but now I can't imagine the meal without it.
Dustin's stepmother is German (literally from Germany). We spent Thanksgiving at her parents' house one year and it was very weird for me. Quite a few German dishes that weren't traditional Thanksgiving fare.

Anyways, my favorite dish is the sweet potato casserole with brown sugar and crushed pecans on top.

A

amotley

we do the same green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, my kids love creamed spinach so i make it for thanksgiving along with deviled eggs

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
The wife makes an apple and carrots dish with brown sugar and butter:drool:.My dear departed grandmother just knew it would taste terrible...she ended up raving about it.:yay::yay:

Cowgirl

Watergate salad....and a cranberry dish made with oranges and jello. We always fought over who had to make that cranberry stuff. It was a biatch to make. I'll try to find a recipe for it.

And sweet potato pie! :drool: It's way better than any old punkin pie!

A

amotley

The wife makes an apple and carrots dish with brown sugar and butter:drool:.My dear departed grandmother just knew it would taste terrible...she ended up raving about it.:yay::yay:

sounds yummy can you post the recipe? :drool:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
You have spiked my curiosity! Would she be willing to share her recipe? Thanks.

sounds yummy can you post the recipe? :drool:

8 large carrots sliced
1/4 c sugar
1/4 c brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 large cooking apple
2 Tbsp. butter (stick).

Heat oven to 325*, grease casserole pan

Put carrots in sacepan w/ boiling water, cover and cook until tender. Drain.

Combine sugars & cinnamon.

Arrange alternating layers of carrots and apples, sprinkling sugar mixture over layers.

Dot w/ margarine.

Bake for 45 mins. or until apples are tender.

daycaremama

somdmama5
Dustin's stepmother is German (literally from Germany). We spent Thanksgiving at her parents' house one year and it was very weird for me. Quite a few German dishes that weren't traditional Thanksgiving fare.

Anyways, my favorite dish is the sweet potato casserole with brown sugar and crushed pecans on top.

Man does she a recipe for germen apple pie ? Please

bubble_gum_yum

This sounds delish! :drool:

Potato Gratin
1 head savoy cabbage, cored, cleaned, and shredded
1 (2-inch) piece slab bacon, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 bunch fresh chives, finely chopped to 1/4 cup
2 pounds baking potatoes, unpeeled and thinly sliced (about 1/8-inch)
2 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 cups grated Parmesan

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Finely shred the cabbage. Cut the bacon into 1/2-inch chunks. Place a small skillet over medium-low heat and fry the bacon, until crisp. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Set aside.

Add 1 tablespoon butter to bacon fat in frying pan. When it has melted add 1/2 the garlic and give it a quick stir with a wooden spoon to soften. Add the cabbage and coat it with the butter. Slowly let it wilt. Add the bacon. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Remove from heat and add most of the chives, reserving a little for the garnish.

Generously butter the bottom and sides of a 9 by 13-inch ovenproof casserole dish. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, 1 1/2 cups of cream, 1 cup of Parmesan, and the remaining garlic. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Using your hands, place a layer of potatoes in the casserole dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan and repeat with 2 more layers. Spoon the cabbage mixture on top and spread it out evenly over the potatoes. Top it off with 2 more layers of potato and Parmesan. Pour the remaining 1 cup cream over the dish. Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan.

Cover dish with aluminum foil. Bake for 1 hour. Remove foil and bake for 30 minutes until golden brown. Leave for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh chives.