Thatcher's Death - Celebrated

SamSpade

I just don't get this --

Hundreds celebrated Margaret Thatcher's death

As the article points out, most of the protesters were either not born or were toddlers when she was in charge.

I admit, I wasn't exactly crushed when Hugo Chavez died, but I wasn't gleeful either. And he was a first-rate thug, and that's document-able.

Among the things people do that do actually irritate me is - to let someone ELSE form your opinions for you. I saw a lot of that when I was in a cult, where people just took it on faith without checking the facts of what their leaders said. I was considered a trouble-maker because I did EXACTLY what the Bible said I should do - CHECK IT OUT first.

These kids are celebrating the death of one of their best leaders, and it has to be because of what someone else told them.

FreedomFan

Snarky 'ol Cuss
I would never celebrate anyone's death, but I'd never tell anyone how to behave either. Kids are going to do what kids do. They have to live with their morals, not me.

Kids often mimic their parents. I know plenty of kids who are Democrats because their parents are Democrats, Republican because their parents are. I know plenty of sons who took an EE degree because their father did, and plenty of daughters who majored in nursing or teaching because their mother did.

Thatcher did plenty of good, but plenty of bad too, objectively speaking. Much like Reagan, she spoke some good rhetoric about free-market principles but in the final analysis she was masking statist intent. Again much like Reagan.

I wish her peace in her final rest.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Fight the Power kewl kids being all hip and chit. :dude:

I find them beyond boring. If you asked any one of them what Margaret Thatcher did to incur their wrath, you'd drown in their slack jawed drool.

BOP

New signature:

Someone referred to lefties as "emotionally incontinent." Yeah, pretty much.

:coffee:

MarieB

There is a lady on my other board who lives in England. Though she herself doesn't celebrate her death ( or at least openly), she seems practically gleeful about all the parties and demonstrations planned. There is apparently a "party" planned in Trafalgar Square, which of course has historical sigficance as well as being the location where they may place a statue commemorating thatcher.

She laments about her time as a single mom after thatcher took over - the union busting, closing the mines, the 18% mortgage interest rates, deregulation, etc etc.

The young ones? I think they are just looking for a reason (as if they need one) to booze up and look cool. I wonder if they know anything about her at all.

I can't imagine celebrating a death like that

MarieB

Are Right-wingers nicer than Left-wingers?

I don't mean in a Nazis vs Communists, Hitler vs Stalin, way. I mean in a moderate way: Conservative activists vs Labour activists, you might say.
It's difficult to imagine Conservative activists behaving like the people who celebrated Margaret Thatcher's death in Glasgow and Brixton. That's partly because it's hard to think of any Left-wing leader who had as powerful an effect on the country as she did.

Are Right-wingers nicer than Left-wingers? – Telegraph Blogs

Crashpupty

havoc is havoc
Are Right-wingers nicer than Left-wingers?

I don't mean in a Nazis vs Communists, Hitler vs Stalin, way. I mean in a moderate way: Conservative activists vs Labour activists, you might say.
It's difficult to imagine Conservative activists behaving like the people who celebrated Margaret Thatcher's death in Glasgow and Brixton. That's partly because it's hard to think of any Left-wing leader who had as powerful an effect on the country as she did.

Are Right-wingers nicer than Left-wingers? – Telegraph Blogs

Most on the right understand the constitution and are more tolerant to other views. The left could care less about the old piece of paper and only wants what they conceive as a right and damn anyone who does not agree.