The 2013 Redskins Season

How many games will the Redskins lose this season?

Votes: 1 9.1%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RGIII will miss a lot of time hurt, so possibly 3 or more

Votes: 10 90.9%

• Total voters

Beta

Smile!
Beta,

YES, YES, YES, In my Eddie Murphy voice....We will defeat SF this year basically our Read Option is better we mastered it also our RUN game is unstoppable...

right, because SF doesn't have a QB where they can practice against the read option or anything :rolleyes:

and SF has such a weak defensive line. They were top 5 against the run last season and actually made improvements on defense. :lol:

So...you were saying?

My point is that if you think they're going to beat San Fran then you might as well assume they have a good chance to beat everyone else. San Fran will be likely be their toughest opponent ALL SEASON. Denver, Atlanta, and Green Bay are the others that are going to be very difficult.

SoMD_Fun_Guy

Do you like apples?
I agree about the read/option. Well said Larry.

As for 'skin vs 49ers. I clearly give the edge to the 49ers. Their defense is better than the 'skins and I think they are better offensively than last year. Time will only tell.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I agree about the read/option. Well said Larry.

As for 'skin vs 49ers. I clearly give the edge to the 49ers. Their defense is better than the 'skins and I think they are better offensively than last year. Time will only tell.

Not to mention they were in the show; invaluable experience.

Also, they have like 27 first round picks on their O line.

The Skins have taken a step up from potential 8-8 club and occasional playoff contender the last 20 years to the 'likely to make the playoffs level'; a clear step up. However, it is a rather BIG step from here to being an actual contender. It's not like we're even a unanimous pick to be a consistent top dog in our division let alone conference.

Which is why we play the games! :yahoo:

Dondi

Dondi
I'm not sure I like how the poll question is framed. It seems like we should assume that as long as RG III is healthy, we should win at least 14 games. But RG III played most of the season last year, and we only managed 10 wins, and even those games where he got hurt or was out completely, we manage to win w/ Cousins (Baltimore, Cleveland).

But if you want my opinion, I'd say 9 or 10 wins. Folks aren't going to be so caught off guard with the read option this year, but maybe our improved D will make up for it.

HollyRockJT

Jus Chillin...
Question - Why does everyone assume the read/option just came in the league last year?

Cam Newton has ran it in Carolina since his first year.

The NFL just has more QB's now who can run it, and being 3 young bucks came in and did it very well last year has everyone in a uproar about it...

Teams will scheme, yes, but they scheme every week for drop back passers as well, and look what Peyton did to B-More last night? You can scheme all you want against anyone. But whatever team has the better night, gets the 1-2 lucky breaks you need in a game, normally 99% of the time, wins.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Question - Why does everyone assume the read/option just came in the league last year?

The NFL just has more QB's now who can run it, and being 3 young bucks came in and did it very well last year has everyone in a uproar about it...

Don't you just love when you answer your own question? :buddies:

I'm not sure I like how the poll question is framed. It seems like we should assume that as long as RG III is healthy, we should win at least 14 games. But RG III played most of the season last year, and we only managed 10 wins, and even those games where he got hurt or was out completely, we manage to win w/ Cousins (Baltimore, Cleveland).

But if you want my opinion, I'd say 9 or 10 wins. Folks aren't going to be so caught off guard with the read option this year, but maybe our improved D will make up for it.

I was mostly joking with the limited poll answer options.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
New poll time. Will they win any this season?

:lol:

I was texting back and forth with my step son during the game, as we do during football season. He said "I can't figure out if Philly is actually good or if y'all are that bad..."

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I did, but it still doesn't mean teams will stop it :shrug:

Right but, in pointing out that it's not new and that Carolina runs it, a non play off team, no one gave a crap. You don't blow up your defense and make all the responsibility changes necessary to deal with the read option for a team that doesn't stand in your way to the Lombardi, right?

So. then, you point out the success more guys are having with it and they are...all playoff teams. Now, it matters.

No one gave a crap about the wildcat because it wasn't a tangible threat by playoff teams. It was a gimmick for weak offenses. Same as the R/e was for the Panthers; it didn't make them a winner.

The bottom line is that the r/e puts your QB at risk. I don't see Vick lasting much longer after all the hits he took last night and, if you watched, you'd see that on nearly every play, even after he handed off to McCoy, there was a defender at least in his face and most of the time at least bumping him. That gives a coordinator pause knowing a LB is assigned to pop your star guy if he keeps it. That's how you stop it; beat up the qb.

:buddies:

Beta

Smile!

Teams will scheme, yes, but they scheme every week for drop back passers as well, and look what Peyton did to B-More last night? You can scheme all you want against anyone. But whatever team has the better night, gets the 1-2 lucky breaks you need in a game, normally 99% of the time, wins.
Luck is pure dropback, so only 2 young bucks ran it last year. Tannehill did it a little bit but that doesn't count.

I was mostly joking with the limited poll answer options.
so if you were mostly joking, does that mean you're only slightly delusional? :lol: :wink:

I was texting back and forth with my step son during the game, as we do during football season. He said "I can't figure out if Philly is actually good or if y'all are that bad..."

I'm wondering the same thing. RGIII was horrible last night though, it seemed like he had a hard time throwing the ball. Bad throwing motion. Hopefully that's a part of the healing process that'll continue improving.

HollyRockJT

Jus Chillin...
Right but, in pointing out that it's not new and that Carolina runs it, a non play off team, no one gave a crap. You don't blow up your defense and make all the responsibility changes necessary to deal with the read option for a team that doesn't stand in your way to the Lombardi, right?

So. then, you point out the success more guys are having with it and they are...all playoff teams. Now, it matters.

No one gave a crap about the wildcat because it wasn't a tangible threat by playoff teams. It was a gimmick for weak offenses. Same as the R/e was for the Panthers; it didn't make them a winner.

The bottom line is that the r/e puts your QB at risk. I don't see Vick lasting much longer after all the hits he took last night and, if you watched, you'd see that on nearly every play, even after he handed off to McCoy, there was a defender at least in his face and most of the time at least bumping him. That gives a coordinator pause knowing a LB is assigned to pop your star guy if he keeps it. That's how you stop it; beat up the qb.

:buddies:

I see what ya mean, but the Skins run the same O, which helps prepare for it, now, not at the pace they seen, and it didn't help the O couldn't stay on the field for more than 3 plays in the 1st half... Teams that don't face it often, have a tougher time because they only get the week to truly prepare for it.
But last year RGIII's beatings came running through the middle of the field not sliding or getting out of bounds... Kapernick and Wilson did a better job at not taking the schlacking hits the best they could when they scrambled. Also helps they are a little bigger.

I think this O is new and up and coming, I think there will ALWAYS be a place for the drop back guys, but I'm not going to be surprised at all when the R/O sticks around... The NFL is a slow evolver, but it does evolve, when they realize these smaller guys can't take the pressure... what will happen... RB's who can run 4.3-4.4 times will learn how to throw the ball :lol:

Luck is pure dropback, so only 2 young bucks ran it last year. Tannehill did it a little bit but that doesn't count.

RGIII, Russell Wilson, and Kapernick... 3 young bucks :wink:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I think this O is new and up and coming, I think there will ALWAYS be a place for the drop back guys, but I'm not going to be surprised at all when the R/O sticks around... The NFL is a slow evolver, but it does evolve, when they realize these smaller guys can't take the pressure... what will happen... RB's who can run 4.3-4.4 times will learn how to throw the ball :lol:

:

I suppose if the NCAA keeps producing guys with that level of athleticism and ability to run an offense and throw the ball. These guys are pretty special. Newton, Kaepernick, Wilson, RG.

Personally, with RGIII's build, I simply don't think he's still going to be a starting QB in the NFL in 8 years. Luck, I think so. Kaepernick, I think so. Wilson, I can see it.