"The Bell Jar"

B

Betty_Elms

So I'm gearing up to read "The Bell Jar" by Sylvia Plath (right after I'm done with "The Witching Hour" :razz2: ). Has anyone read it? I've heard its quite the depressing tale. Any words of caution before I begin?

K

Kain99

My brother read that and he loved it! I'm in the middle of One Door Away From Heaven by Dean Koontz - Maybe when I'm done I'll go grab it. He called from Florida just to tell me to get it. :smile:

K

Kain99

Correction: I need to read "No More Mr. Nice Guy" first. Self help book my best forum buddy brought over last night. :wink:

B

Betty_Elms

Thanks Kain! "One Door Away From Heaven" was great, but don't the kids in that one have some weird names ? :razz2:
Speaking of Koontz, he has a new book coming out on May 27th called "The Face".

K

Kain99

Michelina, Lilliana and Lukepia Yep! Pretty weird but so far ..... so good. :biggrin:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I loathe Plath. How depressing. Unfortunately I read "The Bell Jar" as a teenager and it made a rather profound impression on me. Nothing a little therapy didn't fix, but still...

Betty, read it, but don't get sucked in.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by vraiblonde
I loathe Plath. How depressing. Unfortunately I read "The Bell Jar" as a teenager and it made a rather profound impression on me. Nothing a little therapy didn't fix, but still...

Betty, read it, but don't get sucked in.

Well heck, now you have me interested, what's it about?

B

Betty_Elms

lol, thanks for the words of wisdom, Vrai. I'll be sure to read it with a beer, and a side of prozac!
Considering most of Plath's work is dark and depressing, not to mention she killed herself, I wasn't expecting rainbows and butterflies:razz2:

B

Betty_Elms

Okay I'm done. I can't say I really liked or disliked this book. I think I would have become very bored if had been a long book....it's shortness kept my attention well enough. I didn't get depressed reading it, I think mental illness is interesting, especially written in the first person perspective. I guess I was just expecting more from this book and let down when it seemed so.....flat I guess. Now I'll be moving onto "Lasher" :razz2:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Betty, another one that was a wrist-slitter was "Sybil". And just about anything by J.D. Salinger is pretty depressing.

B

Betty_Elms

Thanks Vrai! I'm familiar with the tale, but have never read the book. Next time I'm feeling too cheery, I'll check it out. :rolleyes:

B

Betty_Elms

If it's even half as good as "The Witching Hour", I'm sure I will like it. I couldn't stop reading that one....every night I thought my eyes were going to just fall out!