The Bengal's loss

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Define adult.

Berfict, who made the hit, has a long history of lack of self control on and off the field and ended up an undrafted free agent who should have been a first round pick based on talent and accomplishment. He was stoned during his NFL combine interviews. We're talking the next Ray Lewis projection coming out of college and he went undrafted. In a league that thinks Mike Vick deserved another chance. A league that, originally, thought knocking your girlfriend out was worth a game or two.

Vontaze, in all reality, has done pretty well with the Bengals faith in him. That said, the extreme emotions of the moment, well, we kinda resort to our worst selves some times. And Pac Man Jones is another super player who has had problems in the past with self control. It was an extreme moment and they both failed the test.
the guy went undrafted when he could have been first round.

Let's look at 2 other players. Tim Tebow, Heisman trophy winner & Michael Sam, SEC defensive player of the year. Tebow got his shot. He made the best of it. He made those around him better. The media followed him around. And what was the attraction? He was a Christian and wasn't shy about his faith. I believe he could have been superb special teams contributor. He was big, fast & strong. He could even throw if needed. A true triple threat when on the field. His best chance of catching on was in New England since their coach is innovative and gets the most out of his players. I think in the end the down side of the media circus was too much for any team to want to deal with

Then there is Sam. He was projected to be a 3rd or 4th round pick. He fell all the way to the 7th round. Judging from past SEC defensive players of the year, he probably should have gone higher. He comes from a broken family. He has multiple siblings in jail, he was a brother shot to death, 1 of this brother's has been missing for almost 2 decades. Oh and he also announced to the world that he's a gay man. He got 2 shots at the NFL with the Rams & the Cowboys. He was cut by both teams. Without the benefit of a crystal ball, it's hard to tell how he would have fared if he had kept his sexuality a private matter.

Then you have the 2 guys that helped cost the Bengals the game. Both discipline problems. But they get a chance to play because you know, everybody deserves a 2nd (3rd, 4th, 5th, etc.) chance.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda.

BlueBird

Lewis should have been fired a long time ago. In 13 years he's now 0-7 in the play-offs. No other team in the NFL would accept this and yes Marv is 100% responsible for the complete and total lack of discipline a few of his players displayed last night.

Freefaller

Lewis should have been fired a long time ago. In 13 years he's now 0-7 in the play-offs. No other team in the NFL would accept this and yes Marv is 100% responsible for the complete and total lack of discipline a few of his players displayed last night.

I don't understand why Lewis is 100% responsible for the actions of others. Well, then again, in the context of todays society, I guess I can see it. "BLAME SOMONE ELSE FOR MY BEHAVIOR". You can see this everywhere from Washington DC to Baltimore, MD to Missouri.

PeoplesElbow

I don't understand why Lewis is 100% responsible for the actions of others. Well, then again, in the context of todays society, I guess I can see it. "BLAME SOMONE ELSE FOR MY BEHAVIOR". You can see this everywhere from Washington DC to Baltimore, MD to Missouri.

Because it was on the field, he is also 100% responsible for their performance on the field. Not performing or being a problem on the field coach can easily fix that.

BlueBird

There's a huge difference between what you say you don't understand and what I actually said. Re-read my post.

The head coach obviously can't control every action of every player. He can however control how well disciplined his team and players are. Lewis has known that he has some thugs on his team (just like every coach does) and it is 100% his responsibility to determine whether they earn the right to play each week and to establish strict adherence to his policies. There's a good reason why the same coaches and same teams seem to break out every year. There's also a very good reason why the Bengals fall short and that starts with the head coach. There isn't a single team in the NFL who would have kept Lewis in that position for this long.

Last edited:

lovinmaryland

What about when they have had Dalton. Doesn't make a difference. They have been a 10+ win team the past 4 years and they can't make it out of the first round every year. Plus a good friend of mine is a huge trash talking Bengals fan. I was lucky enough to be hanging out with him last night. Good times!

I'm not a trash talker but am a Bengals fan... #### me in the ass that game was mentally draining for me. God what an absolute let down. :bawl: :cds:

Restitution

I am a die hard Caps fan.

That explains a LOT.

Let's look at 2 other players. Tim Tebow, Heisman trophy winner & Michael Sam, SEC defensive player of the year. Tebow got his shot. He made the best of it. He made those around him better. The media followed him around. And what was the attraction? He was a Christian and wasn't shy about his faith. I believe he could have been superb special teams contributor. He was big, fast & strong. He could even throw if needed. A true triple threat when on the field. His best chance of catching on was in New England since their coach is innovative and gets the most out of his players. I think in the end the down side of the media circus was too much for any team to want to deal with

Looks like you forgot to mention the fact that Tebow REFUSED to play any other position than quarterback. If he would have tried special teams, tight end, or even running back he would probably still be playing regardless of media attention, faith, etc.

Bottom line is Tebow was Rudy but at QB. Great heart and drive/determination but, in the end, just didn't have the skill set in his position.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
That explains a LOT.

Looks like you forgot to mention the fact that Tebow REFUSED to play any other position than quarterback. If he would have tried special teams, tight end, or even running back he would probably still be playing regardless of media attention, faith, etc.

Bottom line is Tebow was Rudy but at QB. Great heart and drive/determination but, in the end, just didn't have the skill set in his position.

Absolutely agree, and been saying that since he came into the league. Just get past the QB crap, and he would still be making millions playing a variety of positions.

As far as the Bungles go, Lewis must be fired. He has demonstrated that he is a good coach and a good guy, but has no control over his team on the field, and that all starts and ends with him. Throw in the 0 - 7 in playoff games under his tenure, no other coach would ever survive even close to that. The Bengals will never get better under his tutelage.

Fiure Lewis, get it over with, and move on.