The big fight, meh

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Didn't need the remote since wasn't watching the fight in the first place.

Then why would you care what other people do? If people want to pay big money to watch a sport, then wjy do you care? Same as those who spend money on concerts - it is what it is.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I have never liked boxing all my life. Tyson biting off part of Holyfield's ear just cinched it for me. The topic here is boxing, not the other subjects you mentioned. My post was just my opinion about boxing. Of course it will never be banned.

Yeah, boxing has its horrors, for sure. Best fight I ever saw, the one where I thought "Now THIS is a fight, two guys ALL in, everything they have!!!" Ray Mancini and Kim Duk-koo, 1982.

And it was all they had. Kim died after the fight.

It's a brutal, ugly thing but as we've shown time after time, we LOVE our violence. This is not to our credit.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
I stopped talking about this fight with people.

:drama:

They had no idea what they were seeing I don't have the time or patience to educate them.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
OK, so, as a fighter, honestly, boring to you? I ask because I don't know and the thing was compelling to me. I enjoyed every round and it flew by. It just seemed to me to be too VERY good fighters fighting VERY well including protecting themselves. No?

Styles make the fight. And the goal is to win. Whether the fight is entertaining should be secondary to each fighter with the primary goal being a victory. So in that aspect Mayweather fought a great fight. He avoided getting hit, he moved superbly and connected punches when he needed to. He gained the edge in most rounds from my POV. MP couldn't get any clean shots on him. With a fighter that is mobile, body shots will slow them down. Manny didn't do that. He failed to cut off the ring or keep Floyd pinned in a corner. The fight ended up being a track meet or as some called it a dance.

A few decades ago we had fights like Hagler/Hearns. Now that was an exciting fight. Both pugilists trying to knock their opponent into next week. Technically FM stuck to his gameplan and won the fight. That to me was the boring part. It was a chess match with 12 ounce gloves. Manny couldn't get him to stand with him in the middle of the ring and go toe to toe. Had that happened the outcome could have been much different. Shoulda, coulda, woulda.

This fight doesn't help nor hurt boxing. It's just 1 more page in a long history of the sport. Years from now people won't be referring to this fight as 1 of the classics. Personally as a fight fan, I'd have rather witnessed a pier 6 brawl with multiple knock downs. Over the years of seeing fights live, some of the most entertaining bouts were the undercards where up and coming fighters earn every dollar of their purse.

So in summary was it a good fight? Sure. Was it a great fight? No. Not by a long shot.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
Floyd did exactly what he was supposed to do. In fact, having seen most of his other fights, he engaged a bit more than normal. Manny tried to connect, even to the point of putting himself off balance and risked being countered. People complained and called Floyd the Usain Bolt of boxing. They wanted to watch him fight like a Mexican and that’s not how he became 48-0.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Floyd did exactly what he was supposed to do. In fact, having seen most of his other fights, he engaged a bit more than normal. Manny tried to connect, even to the point of putting himself off balance and risked being countered. People complained and called Floyd the Usain Bolt of boxing. They wanted to watch him fight like a Mexican and that’s not how he became 48-0.

:shrug: You'd think somewhere past, oh, 30-0 people would get an idea of how the guy fights.

I still thought it was a solid, well skilled fight. Unless and until one of you real fighters tell me otherwise. :shrug:

littlelady

God bless the USA
Then why would you care what other people do? If people want to pay big money to watch a sport, then wjy do you care? Same as those who spend money on concerts - it is what it is.

Don't care what other people do. Do see your point though. Saying to ban boxing was a little overboard on my part. In the same turn I never said other people shouldn't watch boxing. Just noticed your forum name. LOL!

littlelady

God bless the USA
Yeah, boxing has its horrors, for sure. Best fight I ever saw, the one where I thought "Now THIS is a fight, two guys ALL in, everything they have!!!" Ray Mancini and Kim Duk-koo, 1982.

And it was all they had. Kim died after the fight.

It's a brutal, ugly thing but as we've shown time after time, we LOVE our violence. This is not to our credit.

Obviously I don't follow boxing but that is a sad story. Agree with what you said on the violence thing.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
You never answered me. I would like to know why you think I am self righteous in my posting.

Why would you post that boxing should be banned for a sport you do not watch or follow? Why post in this thread to begin with if you know nothing about it?

littlelady

God bless the USA
Why would you post that boxing should be banned for a sport you do not watch or follow? Why post in this thread to begin with if you know nothing about it?

I guess you didn't see my recent post to Bann. You still didn't answer my question.