The Comey testimony

Midnightrider

To me it seems a very simple thing to say, "Mr. President, I appreciate your position but, as a sworn officer of the law, I cannot promise anything other than honesty and fairness."

Why the fear? Why the waffling? There was a respectful and reasonable response, if indeed Trump asked for his loyalty (at this point it's Comey's word against Trump's).

There's a lot about Comey's testimony that has me questioning his truthfulness and integrity. First Trump didn't pressure him to stop the investigation; then he did; then Trump specifically encouraged him to be thorough in the investigation. So which one of those is the truth? And why didn't any of the Senators pick up on the changing story and challenge it?

there was no changing story. there was the words trump used, and the way comey took the encounter. Comey was pretty clear that there was not a threat in trumps words, but that the other circumstances surrounding the conversation made him feel that he was being pressured. We all know exactly what he is talking about. that's why comey made the "will no one rid me of this meddlesome priest' comment.

Hijinx

there was no changing story. there was the words trump used, and the way comey took the encounter. Comey was pretty clear that there was not a threat in trumps words, but that the other circumstances surrounding the conversation made him feel that he was being pressured. We all know exactly what he is talking about. that's why comey made the "will no one rid me of this meddlesome priest' comment.

We all know exactly what he is talking about. that's why comey made the "will no one rid me of this meddlesome priest' comment.
[/QUOTE]

If we all know then why do you stand on one side and others here stand on the other?

another thought. Trump got rid of the meddlesome priest. LMAO

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
that's why comey made the "will no one rid me of this meddlesome priest' comment.

Is that why? I thought he was just being overly dramatic, which is why I rolled my eyes when I read that part.

There's a breathlessness that I perceive when Comey is being led...uh, I mean questioned by Democrats. "Director Comey, isn't it true that...?" "Yes! Yes! It's true it's true!!" Granted I'm reading a transcript and didn't see his demeanor or hear his inflection, but his choice of words screams "drama queen".

FACT: Comey indeed said that he was not pressured by Trump to drop the investigation.

FACT: He indeed did say that Trump asked him to be thorough and was encouraging him to get to the bottom of things.

If you need me to, I can pull up his exact words from the transcript.

So Trump said one thing, and Comey decided it meant the opposite. I can see how that could happen - implied threat. But that is absolutely dependent on Comey's "intuition", which is not admissible in court. Nobody gives a damn how Comey "felt"; what matters is what Trump actually said and did.

Midnightrider

Is that why? I thought he was just being overly dramatic, which is why I rolled my eyes when I read that part.

There's a breathlessness that I perceive when Comey is being led...uh, I mean questioned by Democrats. "Director Comey, isn't it true that...?" "Yes! Yes! It's true it's true!!" Granted I'm reading a transcript and didn't see his demeanor or hear his inflection, but his choice of words screams "drama queen".

FACT: Comey indeed said that he was not pressured by Trump to drop the investigation.

FACT: He indeed did say that Trump asked him to be thorough and was encouraging him to get to the bottom of things.

If you need me to, I can pull up his exact words from the transcript.

So Trump said one thing, and Comey decided it meant the opposite. I can see how that could happen - implied threat. But that is absolutely dependent on Comey's "intuition", which is not admissible in court. Nobody gives a damn how Comey "felt"; what matters is what Trump actually said and did.

yeah post up the direct quote. I think you are conflating the Russia investigation with the one into Flynn. Comey said trump did not try to stop the Russia investigation. He also said he thought trump did pressure him to end the Flynn investigation.

So your interpretation is that Comey is saying that Trump attempted to obstruct justice?

I wouldn't go that far. I think Comey said trump tried to stop the investigation and that the special counsel would be the one to determine if that rose to a crime or obstruction.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think you are conflating the Russia investigation with the one into Flynn.

You might be right. There's a "Russian investigation" into the interference in the election; and a "Russian investigation" into Flynn's activities; and there's a "Russian investigation" into whether or not Trump was colluding with them. It's difficult to know which one they're talking about.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Now Pres Trump said he's willing to testify under oath about his conversations with Comey.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Now Pres Trump said he's willing to testify under oath about his conversations with Comey.

Make him and Comey take lie detectors. "Under oath" means nothing - that's how Clinton got impeached, because he didn't consider "under oath" to be a impediment to lying.

I straight up don't think Comey is telling the truth. Not because I really care if Trump gets in trouble - I mean, I do care about that but nothing Comey said yesterday leads me to believe Trump broke the law - but Comey's language and on-cue central casting facial expressions, tell me he's not being entirely candid. "If I were only stronger... :drama:" Give me a break.

It's already been established that shutting down an investigation is a President's right. It's not even hinted at that Trump did anything else, and in fact every intel guy (including Comey) said that there was no evidence or suggestion that Trump was colluding (I'm getting sick of that word) with the Russians, which is what the progs are keening about. So really, can we stop with these hearings and nonsense?

NYT should be investigated for printing a bogus story - one that has been rebuked and denied by pretty much everyone involved. Trump should sue their ass and put them out of business.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Suing even if successful isn't good enough.

The reporters, editors and leakers of the bull#### story need to be fed into the wood chipper live and feet first.

I think that's fair. Actually throw in a few extra Democrats just for good measure.

Hijinx

Why play into their hands. He needs to sit right in the WH where he can go about the business of running the country.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Alan Derschowitz (Democrat)

Democratic Harvard Law Professor Alan Dershowitz silenced CNN host Anderson Cooper yesterday by saying that James Comey’s testimony before the Senate Intelligence Committee showed no evidence that Donald Trump obstructed justice.

The Daily Caller reported that Dershowitz explained that the constitution allows for the president to direct an intelligence agent to stop or start an investigation at any time. As proof of this, he cited the fact that Trump could have easily pardoned former national security advisor Michael Flynn and the entire investigation would have been over anyway.

“Trump could have told Comey, ‘You are commanded, you are directed, to drop the prosecution against Flynn.’ The president has the right to do that,” he explained. “Remember also what the president could’ve done. He could’ve said to Comey, ‘Stop this investigation, I am now pardoning Flynn. That’s what President Bush did.”
Dershowitz then cited the case of Caspar Weinberger, who was pardoned by George H.W. Bush before he could be tried in connection to the Iran-Contra scandal.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Suing even if successful isn't good enough.

The reporters, editors and leakers of the bull#### story need to be fed into the wood chipper live and feet first.

I think that's fair. Actually throw in a few extra Democrats just for good measure.

I like that you are solution-oriented but I'm sure most of our namby pamby crybaby country won't go for that.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I like that you are solution-oriented but I'm sure most of our namby pamby crybaby country won't go for that.
A solution, but maybe not the final solution.

I am just so sick of these leftist #######s, I have no patience anymore and I'm all for gathering them all up packing and shipping containers And sinking them in the Laurentian Abyss.