The Corps' quest for the best rifle for infantrymen

black dog

Free America
Well, as an M60 gunner I carried 500 rounds of 7.62 while my assistant gunner carried an additional 500 rounds (or more) plus the spare barrel.

Combat load for an infantryman is 180 rounds (6 30 round magazines), so 500 - 1000 rounds v 180...

Wouldn't be too much to ask (if you have a 7.62 Automatic Rifle) for others to share the load as well.. like they do with a Man Portable Mortar.. Everyone short of the RTO and Medic each carry 2 rounds or more.

AND like somebody mentioned above.. what's the weight difference between an AR-15 and an AR-10??

Well Bob, my post really had nothing to do with the amount that a ground pounder carry's.
My point was there is a huge difference in weight between 5.56 and 7.62 ammunition.
How did you carry that 500 rounds of belted ammo? In 100 Rd cardboard bandos, plain belts, in cans? What model of Pig did you carry?
Just curious, that's a good load along with a full Alice.

Weights between the two, A M4 comes in under 8 lbs if I remember correctly without optics and ammo.
With a AR10 you easily can add 2 to 5 lbs without optics and ammo depending on model of rifle.

Last edited: