The demise of the lover girl

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I don’t need to tell you that modern dating is a hellscape — you feel it in the Tinder-sponsored eye strain and thumb aches, vomit-inducing “u up?” text, and each gut-wrenching failed situationship (that you thought was building toward a beautiful relationship but turned out to be just a casual never-ending talking stage?). The soul-crushing mind maze that gets passed off as intimacy is enough to make even the most ardent hopeless romantic denounce it all — and some have.

Lover girls — devout monogamists committed to a fairy tale relationship filled with courtship and companionship — are in crisis. Capitalism-ridden, social-media dependent societies that incentivise hyper-individualism, secrecy, deception, and robotic emotions have made love feel elusive. The disposability of hook-up culture has left many dejected. Giving up on emotional reciprocity in relationships, more women have instead chosen to approach dating like an economic enterprise.

SamSpade

Maybe that's why the Hallmark Channel is so popular.
My wife watches it a LOT, especially around Christmas, because they make a million Christmas movies, but like Die Hard, they are set against Christmas but honestly don't have a lot to DO with Christmas.

And I've had to sit through one or two. Unlike a good romantic film - the "conflict" which inevitably results in such movies is normally - trivial. As in, "job wants me to move away, do you want me to stay?". They rarely have serious arguments - I keep waiting for the knives to be drawn or the screaming to start or really nasty insults - but they never emerge.

It's the same movie. Slightly different plot, SOMETIMES different actors (some of them are in a LOT of movies) - but in all honesty, it's the same story over and over.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
It's the same movie. Slightly different plot, SOMETIMES different actors (some of them are in a LOT of movies) - but in all honesty, it's the same story over and over.
So basically its a video version of all those romance novels women used to read in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

stgislander

PREMO Member
My wife watches it a LOT, especially around Christmas, because they make a million Christmas movies, but like Die Hard, they are set against Christmas but honestly don't have a lot to DO with Christmas.

And I've had to sit through one or two. Unlike a good romantic film - the "conflict" which inevitably results in such movies is normally - trivial. As in, "job wants me to move away, do you want me to stay?". They rarely have serious arguments - I keep waiting for the knives to be drawn or the screaming to start or really nasty insults - but they never emerge.

It's a model that works considering now Lifetime and GAC are now doing the same.

I'll ask my wife what time is it?" She'll say something like 30-40 minutes until the end. I'll replay it's just about time for the drama.

SamSpade

It's a model that works considering now Lifetime and GAC are now doing the same.

I'll ask my wife what time is it?" She'll say something like 30-40 minutes until the end. I'll replay it's just about time for the drama.
Lifetime does them too?
They also used to run the same basic story over and over again, except the theme was "woman wronged by evil man and gets even".
Hence I called it "the stalker channel".

stgislander

PREMO Member
I wife has a stack of them next to her night stand. She says they are the only things that can turn her brain off so she can fall asleep at the end of the day.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Lifetime does them too?
They also used to run the same basic story over and over again, except the theme was "woman wronged by evil man and gets even".
Hence I called it "the stalker channel".
Lifetime jumped in to fill the black, interracial, LGB relationship void that Hallmark was slow to get in on.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Giving up on emotional reciprocity in relationships, more women have instead chosen to approach dating like an economic enterprise.

With the price of groceries today, don't be surprised if this occurs at a higher rate moving forward.
A new study published Friday in the Society for Personality and Social Psychology journal found that a quarter to a third of heterosexual women have gone on a date with a guy they weren’t interested in — just for a free meal.

Two studies, the first conducted with 820 women, and the second with 327, asked participants if they ever engaged in a plate for play: 23% of the women copped to it in the first study, 33% in the second.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
With the price of groceries today, don't be surprised if this occurs at a higher rate moving forward.

Yes, that was, may still be, a big thing a few years ago. That was their only reason for a date, a meal with no intention of a payback.