The "Eat What I Have" challenge

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Around St Patties' Day, corned beef often goes for a song - instead of 4.99 a pound, it can go for less than HALF that - but for a limited time. Same thing with turkey, around Thanksgiving - as cheap as 39 cents a pound - usually a LITTLE more - but the price goes way up after that.

Well I did learn my lesson with those. Definitely a waste of freezer space with two EXTRA turkeys - like we ever eat it any other time of year.

Now I love corned beef - but - I have learned my family ISN'T crazy about it - so no more packing twenty corned beefs in the freezer - although I HAVE learned, if you de-salinate the the corned beef and smoke it with a good pepper rub - it's known as PASTRAMI, which I like even more.
I do buy extra turkeys when they have fresh ones, but I freeze them in pieces. The breast goes in one bag legs in another and the rest in the soup parts bag. I brine them and smoke them several times a year for lunch meat.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
She put the lime in the coconut, she drank 'em both up

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I do buy extra turkeys when they have fresh ones, but I freeze them in pieces. The breast goes in one bag legs in another and the rest in the soup parts bag. I brine them and smoke them several times a year for lunch meat.
I used to do that, but since I'm not big on turkey breast, I just get the already carved parts. Giant frequently has legs and thighs. I just get a few of those, vacuum seal them and put them away. If I decide I want a breast, I buy just the breast.

SamSpade

We actually bought an extra freezer because we used to buy a side of beef or a whole pig years ago. Right now it's nearly full of meat that I think only I want to eat, because my family isn't interested in the stuff in there - legs of lamb, racks or ribs, big salmon filets, cod. I'm slowly getting it clear - mostly cooking when no one's home. I like to try stuff, and I did cook all of the squid I had.

Maybe then I'll buy the turkeys and try what you did - it sounds like a great idea, since no one wants to cook a whole turkey for a regular meal.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Maybe then I'll buy the turkeys and try what you did - it sounds like a great idea, since no one wants to cook a whole turkey for a regular meal.
I just told my husband I need to thaw out and have him smoke the turkey we didn't get to use last Thanksgiving. Last minute ended up going to Ohio so it's been in the freezer and really needs to be used asap. I figure I'll shred the whole thing and portion it out in small freezer bags for various meals calling for shredded chicken. Much more likely to enjoy it that way vs. whole.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The more I look, the more I find. Yesterday I made Vietnamese spring rolls, and today I'm making a batch of beef & bean burritos. Breakfast has been oatmeal topped with a compote made from all the smoothie fruit I have in my freezer. I have lettuce I need to get off of today so that will be a salad topped with tuna and an Asian vinaigrette for lunch.

It's amazing how much meal-worthy food there is in my house even when it looks pretty sparse. And I haven't even touched the canned soup or pasta yet....

thurley42

HY;FR
I have so much food in my house, and yet still I grocery shop. :crazy:

So for the month of August I'm going to eat what I have.

Frozen meals
Canned soup
Eggs
Tons of meat in the freezer
Pasta
Frozen veggies
Ramen
Canned tuna
Kefir
Frozen fruit

I'm not even sure where all this comes from except that when I pick up a pack of, say, ramen I don't just pick up *a* pack - I get 4 or 6 of them. I don't just buy a pound of ground beef, I get three pounds and divvy them up in packs. Mahi filets on BOGO - well hell, let's stock up! BOGO kefir just in time for me to get tired of smoothies.

It's a mental illness that stems from something, not sure what because it's not like I'm a Depression baby or anything.

:ohwell:
alot of that non persiahable stuff you should keep....you never know when dems will pull some crap and the groceries will be empty again.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
alot of that non persiahable stuff you should keep....you never know when dems will pull some crap and the groceries will be empty again.

I think subconsciously that's what I was hoarding saving it for - the zombie apocalypse. But it's time to use it up, then I'll buy more and start my collection all over again.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I feel like I'm never going to empty this house of food, and it's not like the fridge and pantry were packed to the gills. Just when I think I've exhausted my supply - oh crap, there's 2 vac-packs of smoked salmon in the fridge drawer. Today for lunch I did pasta and peas with smoked salmon, and I'll kill the rest of the filet with a salmon patty tonight. Probably do the same with the other filet.

I have stuff to make a small pot of goulash, and several rounds of oatmeal and waffles with fruit compote. I still have eggs, tons of ramen, and 3 cans of ham & bean soup. Angel hair pasta out the wazoo (how does this happen??). A pack of hot dogs was hiding in the fridge drawer too. If you looked in my food storage you'd think I had nothing, but there are still a ton of meals in those meager ingredients.

I like grocery shopping like other women enjoy shoe or clothing shopping, but I'm resisting the urge. Thursday is $5 rotisserie chicken day at Fresh Market, and I let it go right on by. I haven't even bought snacks because I have tons of popcorn, plus caramel M&Ms and Dove chocolates tucked away in the cupboard. I'm jonesing for a good grocery shop.

:jameo:

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I kinda do this challenge on a regular basis. I overstock, then live off that for months at a time. When I shop, I only replenish the perishables unless I see a good deal on meat or something.

Tonight is duck halves that have been in the freezer since November. Still have 4 or 5 left. Main dishes are usually no problem to create, but I always seem to be lacking things for sides. Maybe white rice tonight. I can't cook real rice to save my life, but I found a brand of pre-cooked that's really good. 2 minutes in the microwave for perfect rice, much less messy than the boil-in-a-bag, and they can sit on the shelf forever.

SamSpade

It’s kind of a joke in our house that I can’t resist a good sale on meat. Problem comes when I stock up on stuff that I later learn - I’m pretty much the only one who likes it.

Now - I GET seafood. Lots of people don’t like it, although I’ve persuaded my middle girl on SOME fish because they’re not all the same. But I stocked up on corned beef on St Patties Day once - learned the kids barely tolerate it. So I debrined it all, got a good peppercorn rub, smoked it and made pastrami.

But what that means is - lots of food goes untouched and voted down at dinner time. I usually have to wait until they go on a trip to start up the smoker.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I usually have to wait until they go on a trip to start up the smoker.
you're so nice Sam :lol: my husband packs our freezer with meat on sale too and smokes it on a whim all the time. He'll give me a serving or two to try, and then he takes it for lunch all week...or takes it to share at work. He knows which cuts I need him to save for the family, but I'm fine with only getting a few bites. He knows I plan my meals to the T but he liked to smoke stuff on a whim. So unless it'll fit in with my menu, he does whatever and I don't care :lol:

SamSpade

you're so nice Sam :lol: my husband packs our freezer with meat on sale too and smokes it on a whim all the time. He'll give me a serving or two to try, and then he takes it for lunch all week...or takes it to share at work. He knows which cuts I need him to save for the family, but I'm fine with only getting a few bites. He knows I plan my meals to the T but he liked to smoke stuff on a whim. So unless it'll fit in with my menu, he does whatever and I don't care :lol:
(shrug) I was exacrtly that way - grilling and smoking is fun - even though I'm about average at it.

My wife actually bought my smoker as a birthday present. Initially, all I did was ribs - and I learned - of course - no one likes them as much as me.

So - tried stuff - a few Christmases ago, I smoked some goose that was on sale for 75% off! It was - ok. I smoked some salmon and I loved it. No one wanted to even try it. I smoked some butterflied lamb - and no one wanted any.

I have tried going - lower key with smoking, because it is an all day affair for me. I now try cheaper, easier alternatives. At least that way, the results are small enough, it's just for me.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
(shrug) I was exacrtly that way - grilling and smoking is fun - even though I'm about average at it.

My wife actually bought my smoker as a birthday present. Initially, all I did was ribs - and I learned - of course - no one likes them as much as me.

So - tried stuff - a few Christmases ago, I smoked some goose that was on sale for 75% off! It was - ok. I smoked some salmon and I loved it. No one wanted to even try it. I smoked some butterflied lamb - and no one wanted any.

I have tried going - lower key with smoking, because it is an all day affair for me. I now try cheaper, easier alternatives. At least that way, the results are small enough, it's just for me.
I'm so sorry :lol: I wish we were neighbors so we could have smoke-offs. All that sounds amazing, we try to get creative too besides the typical pork butt and ribs. I begged him for years to try and smoke a salmon and he finally did it last year and now he smoked one like every other month.

Our FAVORITES include whole chicken, brisket (he's learning...this one takes a lot of practice!) salmon, corned beef...but he did the thing you talked about turning it into pastrami? yea smoked pastrami, burgers, steaks, wings, and I'm sure there's more.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I just told my husband I need to thaw out and have him smoke the turkey we didn't get to use last Thanksgiving.
I'll smoke a turkey that the missus then picks clean to make her killer smoked turkey soup base every year. That gets frozen in half-quart containers. She'll break one out and get some noodles and barley going and then the soup base.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I'll smoke a turkey that the missus then picks clean to make her killer smoked turkey soup base every year. That gets frozen in half-quart containers. She'll break one out and get some noodles and barley going and then the soup base.
I make a pretty good turkey soup, and made a batch when I had some smoked turkey leftover. There was just ... something ... wrong with it, I didn't like the smoked turkey in the soup at all. Wound up throwing it out. And I found that as a rule, I really like smoked meats, but not when they are used in recipes like soups, salads, etc... I much prefer savory without the smoke.

The only exception to this rule so far has been the smoked sweet pickles I got at Aldi. Made a relish out of some and it goes great on everything.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I make a pretty good turkey soup, and made a batch when I had some smoked turkey leftover. There was just ... something ... wrong with it, I didn't like the smoked turkey in the soup at all. Wound up throwing it out. And I found that as a rule, I really like smoked meats, but not when they are used in recipes like soups, salads, etc... I much prefer savory without the smoke.

The only exception to this rule so far has been the smoked sweet pickles I got at Aldi. Made a relish out of some and it goes great on everything.
Yea I just....don't care for soups :lol: I can throw smoked meat into CHILI but that's my limit, because it does give soups a funny taste - to me. But I have made White Chicken Chili with leftover smoked turkey and it was excellent 👍

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Yea I just....don't care for soups :lol: I can throw smoked meat into CHILI but that's my limit, because it does give soups a funny taste - to me. But I have made White Chicken Chili with leftover smoked turkey and it was excellent 👍
My missus makes an incredible chili...she even won a chili contest with her recipe. She makes it up a couple gallons at a time and freezes it in 2-serving containers. Funny thing is...she will not eat chili herself...won't touch it. :killingme

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I caved. Sort of. After reading the dinner thread I was desperate for a roast, carrots, and potatoes so I got the fixings. It's in the crock pot right now.

But - miracle! - I didn't get anything else. I'll be eating on the roast for a few days in various forms - stroganoff, stew, etc.

Reactions: rio