• Friends from the office

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Lying kids

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Drug-using construction workers

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • St. Mary's Today

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Bubba with his Science Project (Ballistics Experiment)

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • A real killer who was scared off

Votes: 18 48.6%

• Total voters

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
All righty then. The crisis is over, the kids all went home eventually, and the cops went back to routine.

Now, the fingers'll start pointing, the mud'll get slung, and praise and honors will go to the non-participants. Pick yore target in the Leonardtown Lockdown Turkey Shoot.

Last edited:

OrneryPest

lower life form
In a situation like this, the only people who actually know what's going on are the police officers and emergency people who are dealing with the situation, and they've got their hands full, and are certainly not available to chitchat with just anybody. The rest of us have just gotta wait for a while. Hey, deal with it!

Based on the info I have gathered, I believe that the two witnesses fully believe they saw a guy pull a handgun from his waistband and stick it in his backpack and then head across the street towards the school. Therefore, I believe they had no choice but to report it to the authorities as was done. Therefore, the authorities had no choice but to react as they had. Tough itties for those who felt "put out" or "unduly stressed" by what happened. :bigwhoop:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I agree with Kwillia. It's kind of like what's going on now with this NSA phone records business. People are complaining, but if there were another attack they'd be saying, "Why didn't our government do something to protect us???"

So you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. :shrug:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I wonder what would be said if the incident wasn't reported and the observed armed person did a Columbine type event. I think it was very prudent of those that saw the firearm to bring it to the attention of the school authorites and the school to then contact local law enforcement. If the biggest impact was kids getting home late and being confined to a classroom all day I say it was a very successful outcome.

My biggest question is what happened to the kid with the gun? Is the weapon now stashed somewhere on the school grounds or did the kid change his mind and didn't go into the school at all?

Ken King said:
I wonder what would be said if the incident wasn't reported and the observed armed person did a Columbine type event. I think it was very prudent of those that saw the firearm to bring it to the attention of the school authorites and the school to then contact local law enforcement. If the biggest impact was kids getting home late and being confined to a classroom all day I say it was a very successful outcome.

My biggest question is what happened to the kid with the gun? Is the weapon now stashed somewhere on the school grounds or did the kid change his mind and didn't go into the school at all?
Ken, it is my understanding that there was never a confirmation that the kid actually went into the school.

Ken King

PREMO Member
kwillia said:
Ken, it is my understanding that there was never a confirmation that the kid actually went into the school.
Was he even a student? You would think the ones reporting him could have ran through the yearbook and identified him if he was.

Ken King said:
Was he even a student? You would think the ones reporting him could have ran through the yearbook and identified him if he was.
Go read the "this is the true story" thread posted by a student... it sounds like the got a very good description of the dude. I can see it taking a bit of time... but I believe they should be able to narrow the search down in due time.

Ken King

PREMO Member
kwillia said:
Go read the "this is the true story" thread posted by a student... it sounds like the got a very good description of the dude. I can see it taking a bit of time... but I believe they should be able to narrow the search down in due time.
I read it, with the Tech Center there I guess he could have been from any one of the high schools.

Ken King said:
I read it, with the Tech Center there I guess he could have been from any one of the high schools.
That's what I'm thinking... but with a description such as was given by the other thread starter... they should be able to zero in to a handful and start knocking them out from there.

Ken King

PREMO Member
kwillia said:
That's what I'm thinking... but with a description such as was given by the other thread starter... they should be able to zero in to a handful and start knocking them out from there.
DBKR said:
white mail with a white tshirt, a small beard, and a black side sling bookbag
Yeah with a description like this they should be able to eliminate half of the male students and a third of the females. :killingme

bohman

I'd like to identify the culprit - every parent who felt outraged at the lack of immediate info., and apparently at the fact that they weren't nominated to lead the SWAT team. I know it's hard, but you've got to wait for law enforcement to do their job.

I'm trying to be understanding of the outraged parents as I post this; I have a young daughter myself and it's all too easy to picture myself getting pissed if something happened at day care and I wasn't notified of it within minutes. But still, when there are weapons (allegedly) involved, there's just no choice but to get out of the officers' way.

DBKR

onebdzee said:
I was under the impression that there were camera's at all the entrances :confused:

Even though there are cameras at the entrances, if you've ever been at the school at around 8 am and thousands of kids are going in and out of the building, it would be dang near impossible to see this kid. Especially if he were being sneaky, there are ways around the camera. Also, i don't beleive it could have been someone from another school because the Tech Center busses had not arrived. Even if they had already arrived, the kid would have never made it all the way across the parking lot to Fastop without being seen by a bus driver, or teacher.

Geek

bohman said:
I'd like to identify the culprit - every parent who felt outraged at the lack of immediate info., and apparently at the fact that they weren't nominated to lead the SWAT team. I know it's hard, but you've got to wait for law enforcement to do their job.

I'm trying to be understanding of the outraged parents as I post this; I have a young daughter myself and it's all too easy to picture myself getting pissed if something happened at day care and I wasn't notified of it within minutes. But still, when there are weapons (allegedly) involved, there's just no choice but to get out of the officers' way.

Well said :yay:

Cletus_Vandam

Why!!!???

Why does there have to be a "culprit"?

Let's look at a few of the ones on your list.

As mentioned previously, there were two confirmed witnesses, one of which was an adult. This should eliminate the notion that this was a prank. Cross the witnesses off the list.

The Sheriff??? Let's look more closely at that. Two witnesses report seeing a gun and the person with that gun headed towards a school. The sheriff calls in tactical units from three counties, State Police and several other agencies. Yeah he blew things way out of proportion... :sarcasm: Can't believe two idiots voted here.

Who's next... The BoE. I think my write for the Sheriff applies here too. Must be the same two idiots that voted for the Sheriff here also.

Friends from the office... What did they have to do with the situation?

Lying kids... Who lied?

Druggy construction workers. When you look at, these guys are going to pay the price for their habit. Possession of drugs within the limits of a school's "drug-free zone" carries a stiff penalty, I think with mandatory time.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Ken King said:
I wonder what would be said if the incident wasn't reported and the observed armed person did a Columbine type event. I think it was very prudent of those that saw the firearm to bring it to the attention of the school authorites and the school to then contact local law enforcement.

I agree. I would rather have law enforcement be overly cautious than overly lax. The sad part is, based on what we now know about Eric Harris, there was no way to prevent him from killing, either at Columbine or as an adult years later.

The Depressive and the Psychopath

Klebold is easier to comprehend, a more familiar type. He was hotheaded, but depressive and suicidal. He blamed himself for his problems.But Harris was cold, calculating, and homicidal. "Klebold was hurting inside while Harris wanted to hurt people," Fuselier says. Harris was not merely a troubled kid, the psychiatrists say, he was a psychopath...

Diagnosing Harris as a psychopath represents neither a legal defense, nor a moral excuse. But it illuminates a great deal about the thought process that drove him to mass murder.

http://www.slate.com/id/2099203/sidebar/2099208/

The basic narrative of Columbine—the story that Americans absorbed—was based on fragmentary and incorrect information from the first hours after the shooting. The story was that Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris, a pair of lonely, outcast Goths, tore through the school hunting down jocks to settle a long-running feud between athletes and the Trenchcoat Mafia. After years of bullying, the pair finally snapped and turned on their tormenters with automatic weapons and pipe bombs. They arrived at the school with a hit list of victims, including despised minorities, Christians, and athletes. In fact, this tale was mostly a myth, as were other supposed "facts" about Columbine involving Marilyn Manson, the martyrdom of Cassie Bernall, and a plan to hijack a plane and crash it into New York City...

One of the killers allegedly asked student Cassie Bernall if she believed in God, then killed her when she said yes. Bernall became a revered figure among evangelical Christians. In fact, one of the killers posed the question to another girl, Valeen Schnurr, after she had already been shot. They had a short exchange, he reloaded, got distracted, and she crawled away to safety.