The National Museum of African American History & Culture: White Culture

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member

It would better serve disadvantaged cultures to adopt the attributes of white culture. Instead of pointing out how it's somehow something evil, mention how most of those behaviors allow you to lead a pretty comfortable life. #embracewhiteculture

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
There’s some truth in those bizarre charts about ‘whiteness'

For one thing, we should understand that cultural values are a real thing and that in a multicultural society, you’ll end up with at least subtly clashing values.

There is no doubt that different cultures have different ideas of what’s “on time.” After years of being told we can’t generalize about culture or ethnicity, you’re probably afraid to admit it, but that's the way it is. My wife and I once attended my cousin’s wedding in Puerto Rico, and cognizant of “Island Time,” we didn’t show up our standard 15 minutes early, as we would have for a once-in-a-lifetime event such as a wedding or a funeral. We showed up about five minutes early. Everyone who arrived at the scheduled time was an off-islander. The wedding started about 45 minutes late, and most of the guests seemed totally unfazed by that.

In fact, a surprising number of formal studies have shown how much culture determines one’s perception of time.
So if you’re a principal in a school and many of your students are from less punctuality-sensitive cultures, you may need to make special efforts to encourage punctuality, or even to make special accommodations.

To be clear, such differences aren't racial or genetic. They are cultural.

It's the same with speech. America has many different dialects. Listen to people from Queens, and then listen to people from Vermont, and then listen to people from Pensacola, and then Pittsburgh, and LA: Even if they all have the same skin tone, you will find their grammar, pronunciation, and word choice will vary.

But these cultural differences sometimes also appear along racial lines, as with the difference in the English vernacular used in many parts of the United States between white people and African Americans.

Monello

PREMO Member
How come when all the different cultures serve in the military, somehow they ALL show up on time?

Does military culture trump birth culture?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
White People, Europeans Obsessed With Time, WA State Official Says

Dr. Karen Johnson, who was serving as equity and inclusion administrator for the Washington State Department of Corrections in November, said at the November 25 meeting discussing “Removing health disparities by race/ethnicity/gender”:

Most white people and Europeans are about agenda and to-do lists and tasks and “Oh we have thirty minutes for this” and “Oh, time to move on,” where people of color, maybe it matters, maybe it doesn’t. In South Africa, if we were meeting right here, 2:35, if Craig Bill (Director of the Governor’s Office of Indian Affairs) walked in right now in South Africa, what would happen is they would stop, welcome him, “How was your weekend? You have any plans for Thanksgiving?” and would bring him up to speed on what he missed — if we were in South Africa. If Craig Bill walked in right now in Tumwater, Washington, we’d say “Hello” and maybe somebody would — well, our chairs are gracious, so you won’t — would let him know “well, here we are,” but it’s basically, “This is where we are; just get with it.”

One member of the committee, asked, “I do want to ask for clarity; we are still going to move forward with the idea of an advisory board. Is that true, committee? Okay. I just want to double-check cause I think that’s really important.”

Another submitted, “Can we move on?”

DaSDGuy

Maybe Dr. Karen Johnson should endeavour to not be so obsessed with white people. Maybe she should stop being such a "Karen"

Monello

PREMO Member
If you want to do things like they do in South Africa, I suggest you relocate there. I'm sure you will be much happier. And so will the people that you work with that value their time.