The need for more deputies!

Elle

Happy Camper!
Originally posted by *archimedes*
Why don't you just admit you hate cops? :confused:

I don't hate cops. This just made me think about an article I read in the Emptyprize a few months ago about how they needed $$$ to buy new vehicles and such. Then when I went to the dentist the other day and saw a deputy there with this 3 kids all piling out of the cruiser.

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Sounds like trouble to me :confused:
What do you mean? Both my stepmother and I were sexually harrassed by deputies while being pulled over for routine traffic stops. When we made complaints, nothing was ever done, even after calling repeatedly. She was "propostioned" during a routine sobriety check and I was pulled over for drunk driving (I had not been drinking) and was asked to do a breathalyzer. While I was doing the breathalyzer, there were inappropriate sexual comments made.

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
Zoltan, Voohar are these real names, folks? They don't sound like it. More like carnies or space aliens. What was the deputy's name? Spock?

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
You should call Zoltan, the St. Mary's Today (if they still publish) the Emptyprize and the Post. I wouldn't put up with that ####; you must have liked it.
Yea I was thrilled :rolleyes:

Elle

Happy Camper!
As long as I don't have to guard my house with a shotgun all night,

Just currious what this means, do you have a neighbor that is a deputy or are you?????:confused:

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Neither; but the idea of deputies is the only thing that keeps criminals from smashing your door in every day.
I don't see where anyone said that they hated cops. I'm very grateful to have them because you're right, they are the only thing protecting us from criminals. But there are some issues in the Dept that need to be addressed before they go cutting budgets to hire new deputies. Maybe if they addressed, these issues, we may not need 15 to 20 new deputies, but only 5-10...:shrug:

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
You must have been, you let them get away with it and didn't raise a stink :shrug:

They are probably doing it to other 'thrilled' girls thanks to your inaction.
I was 16. If it happened now, I would definetly do something more about it because I now realize now how wrong it is. Excuse me for being young and naive. Excuse me for being ashamed that it happened in the first place.

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Originally posted by Ehesef
I was 16. If it happened now, I would definetly do something more about it because I now realize now how wrong it is. Excuse me for being young and naive. Excuse me for being ashamed that it happened in the first place.
Like the fact that they sit around. Like the fact that they do some highway patrol when that's what the state police is for. Like the whole vehicle issue and all of its facets.

CowGirlUp

Yeee hawww
Originally posted by LAWDAWG
When you get stopped or have a not so good experience with a deputy or trooper you don't want anymore of them. But when you really need help you love them. Right now Law Enforcement personnel levels in St. Mary's County are dangerously low. If action is not taken soon to increase the number of deputies then the county will be paying out big dollars in law suits due to liability. The current manning is insufficient to keep up with the ever growing amount of calls for service. The commissioners need to wake up and support local law enforcenment. 5 new deputies would not even dent the need. A minimum of 15-20 is needed immediately. Support your deputies because good or bad, like them or not when you need them they will always come to render assistance.:getdown: :dude: :thewave: :patriot:

Maybe if they stop worrying about traffic citations...and worry about more serious crimes they wouldn’t have to hire anybody new.

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
So you'd rather hamstring the whole department than support the majority of the deputies that really are keeping you safe? Every career field has its slackers. Some people post on the internet all day instead of working, for instance.
And some people don't have enough to do, so they post on the internet and slack off. I'm not saying that the whole force is horrible. There are a few people that make it look that way, but there are a lot of good cops out there too. They far outnumber the bad. There are a few bugs in the organization that they could work on, just as there are in every other organization. That's all I'm saying.

CowGirlUp

Yeee hawww
I don't see where anyone said that they hated cops. I'm very grateful to have them because you're right, they are the only thing protecting us from criminals. But there are some issues in the Dept that need to be addressed before they go cutting budgets to hire new deputies. Maybe if they addressed, these issues, we may not need 15 to 20 new deputies, but only 5-10...:shrug:

:yeahthat:

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Re: Re: Re: The need for more deputies!

Originally posted by kwillia
That's funny... just this week I was thinking it would be great to have more of them paying attention to dumbazz drivers that have gotten into the habit of weaving in and out of traffic and even running up the right turning lane just to whip back in traffic at the last minute when the lane ends...:tantrum:
:yeahthat: But that is something that the State police should take care of. They are highway patrol.

Christy

b*tch rocket
What do you mean? Both my stepmother and I were sexually harrassed by deputies while being pulled over for routine traffic stops.

I've been pulled over plenty of times and I've NEVER even been given a wink. :bawl: Gawd, now I'm getting an ugly girl complex. :bawl: Think it would help if I started stuffing my bra? :confused:

happyazz

Skiing in the clouds
:confused: We have even fewer state police then deputies! The accident rate is out of control lately. And traffic " LAWS " are laws.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I don't really care how many new deputies the sheriff guests. Why? The department has been torn apart by factionalism and political turmoil for more than a decade.

Of course, there's no way to avoid some politics in the sheriff's department, since the sheriff is elected by the voters. Still, an effective sheriff should be able to keep the deputies focused on their jobs, and to keep them working as a team. I feel we haven't had that kind of effective leader for a long, long time.

So what's been the result of that lack of leadership? Officers recruiting allies by promising them promotions and plum assignments. Rivals and non-allies exiled to posts with low public profiles and low status. High-profile investigations being impeded and/or taken over by political rivals. I wasn't surprised at all by the business about the seized lumber.

K

Kain99

Tonio you have a point but when you're laying in an alley bloody as hell, after being raped by 3 thugs... The deputies look like angels.

Might wanna keep that in mind. :wink:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
In St. Mary’s County we have 219 people employed within the Sheriff’s Department. 35 are in the Administrative Department, 106 actually perform Police Services, and 78 are assigned to Corrections. Last year there were a little over 51,000 calls for assistance (data from the communications center, so it probably includes calls that the State handled too, but it averaged about 141 per day). Data shows that the average time awaiting to be dispatched after the call came in was 5:42 (minutes:seconds), average time to get to the scene after being dispatched was 8:28, and total time until clear was 27:29.

Based on the number of deputies assigned to Police Services I can’t see more then 40 to 45 officers on duty at any given time, unless they are racking up a ton of overtime. This leaves us with roughly one officer for every 2,000 citizens, about par for the national average. What needs to be remembered is that these officers rarely stop crime (except traffic violations), they respond to it, as that is the nature of their business.

What good will adding more officers do in reducing the response time, which could be a lifetime, if you are in need or in reducing crime? I think it would be wiser and more effective to give law-abiding citizens the right to conceal and carry. Instead of hiring new officers take those funds and create firearm safety courses and self-defense courses. And do something about reducing the time getting the officer to the scene. I think it's time to let the people help themselves while they wait for the assistance to arrive.

rebeka

Originally posted by Ken King
What good will adding more officers do in reducing the response time, which could be a lifetime, if you are in need or in reducing crime?

And on the subject of reducing crime...has anyone in this county considered red light cameras? or is that too high tech for St. Mary's?

I don't know how far technology has gone in unmanned surveillance and what all is possible, but it strikes me as a great way to stretch the county budget and reduce the traffic monitoring burden. I can't tell you have many time's I'd love to be able to video tape a traffic weaver.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by rebeka
And on the subject of reducing crime...has anyone in this county considered red light cameras? or is that too high tech for St. Mary's?

I don't know how far technology has gone in unmanned surveillance and what all is possible, but it strikes me as a great way to stretch the county budget and reduce the traffic monitoring burden. I can't tell you have many time's I'd love to be able to video tape a traffic weaver.
That's been hashed out before right here on SOMD.com.
http://forums.somd.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1206
http://forums.somd.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1397

and several other links as well.