The results of the dumbed-down generation

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/01/19/D8F7UO204.html

Nearing a diploma, most college students cannot handle many complex but common tasks, from understanding credit card offers to comparing the cost per ounce of food.

Those are the sobering findings of a study of literacy on college campuses, the first to target the skills of students as they approach the start of their careers.

More than 50 percent of students at four-year schools and more than 75 percent at two-year colleges lacked the skills to perform complex literacy tasks.

That means they could not interpret a table about exercise and blood pressure, understand the arguments of newspaper editorials, compare credit card offers with different interest rates and annual fees or summarize results of a survey about parental involvement in school.
So we can thank the Teachers Unions for this. Had they been more concerned about actually educating students, rather than worrying about their days off and the kids' self-esteem, maybe we wouldn't have all these idiots taking up space in our colleges.

Because these are the leaders of tomorrow - these kids who have no concept of how things relate to one another and no idea how to interpret what they read. Can't wait. :rolleyes:

S

Schizo

vraiblonde said:

So we can thank the Teachers Unions for this. Had they been more concerned about actually educating students, rather than worrying about their days off and the kids' self-esteem, maybe we wouldn't have all these idiots taking up space in our colleges.

Because these are the leaders of tomorrow - these kids who have no concept of how things relate to one another and no idea how to interpret what they read. Can't wait. :rolleyes:

Those liberal arts majors :rolleyes:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:

Even sadder is they are the voters of today. No wonder Kerry got so many votes.

K

Kain99

I dumb down every day at work... That's only to make my co-workers feel better. :killingme

Hessian

Here's some good news...

My middle school history kids failed the midterm by droves... despite two days of review, collecting/correcting all their tests, handing out a review sheet, asking questions off an old midterm...telling them what they each need to attain their goal-grade.

and I had scores in the 30's & 40's.
Sure I had a core of solid B+ kids and my overall bell is still averaging about a 74/75...

AND I AM NOT GOING TO CURVE IT!

screw um...they had so many opportunities to get serious, how many classes on how to study...how many wasted study halls when they showed no initiave to ask for an old test or "help me review..."

I have told a bunch of them that if I were their Boss...they'd be fired.

My Dad graded teacher entrance exams from SUNY (State University of NY) and after 26 years in the classroom: he was appalled with the quality of the essays he reviewed....had to control his bile while reading.

Lets face it...society WILL divide between the knowledgeable and the Kennedys. There's just so far the Nagins of this world can go. Those that are homeschooling are miles ahead of their peers....sadly, private schools are only slightly better than public---because of what is being dumped out of the public schools.

So...what's my role? To sort out those who are intellectually gifted and motivated and push them as far as they can go...and those who's world is MTV and teen mags & corn rows:...show them the door.

As Mr King jr. said..."judged by the contents of their character."

Last edited:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Hessian said:
Good. I always thought that was stupid anyways, and doesn't benefit anyone. One of my math teachers used to score tests on a curve. I'd always score really high (95 and above) and tick off all the other kids in my class. :lol:

Hessian

How would you feel if...

Your pilot got on the cabin microphone and announced that he was 9th in his class.....

but that was only due to a curve.

Or your dentist is drilling away and makes a comment to the assistant:
"Not bad for a guy who made a 72 on the curve!"

I'll post some other good news: on cable last week I caught a show on the national science fair...profiling three or four teams of contestants. it was great to see them work through the prototypes...struggle, consult...rebuild, and then display it. That was very encouraging! :yay:

snuzzy

There's too much emphasis on "teaching to the test" (but don't tell my principal I said that!), kids are not taught how to problem solve, which is why they graduate without any life skills. I agree Vrai, the Teachers' Unions are very much to blame, they take up the wrong fight over and over again. I can't believe how many teachers actually think the Unions are helping them out...those teachers who do have the Union "figured out" still pay their dues because of the fear tactics that are used, all of the "what if a parent..." (Personally, I'd hire my own lawyer, rather than count on the Union, if it ever came to that...) I did research on the history of teacher's unions for a class several years ago. They had an important role at one time, then it became all about one Union outdoing another and making promises to teachers just to collect dues, and then never actually keeping the promises. If Unions cared more about quality education than collecting dues, the students, and teachers would benefit. (Most of us didn't become teachers expecting to become rich)

snuzzy

I'll post some other good news: on cable last week I caught a show on the national science fair...profiling three or four teams of contestants. it was great to see them work through the prototypes...struggle, consult...rebuild, and then display it. That was very encouraging! :yay:[/QUOTE]

:yeahthat:
It's encouraging to hear about educators/kids/parents "figuring it out". There are good models of effective education all around the country, just doesn't seem that enough people are paying attention to them.

Hessian

Snuzzy...

I did my one year of public and so much butt-covering...teacher paranoia...overcrowding..administrative back scratching and Union muscle...I will never be going back.
Private school:
We don't take the Maryland Tests: thus saving weeks of preparation. (and still score higher on SATs)
We don't have a union (no work to the bell threats and especially no dues)
We have enough space in our classrooms and textbooks for every child...

And the best news of all:
we kick out the ones who can't cut it academically, socially, or financially.
(How about that endorsement for survival of the fittest! :lmao: )

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
snuzzy said:
those teachers who do have the Union "figured out" still pay their dues because of the fear tactics that are used, all of the "what if a parent..." (Personally, I'd hire my own lawyer, rather than count on the Union, if it ever came to that...)
My across-the-street neighbor is a new teacher and she said the exact same thing - that the unions come in with these scare tactics about how parents can accuse you of whatever and the only thing standing between you and prison is the union lawyer. :rolleyes:

She says they take $60 a month out of her paycheck for her union dues. What a rip.

snuzzy

Hessian said:
I did my one year of public and so much butt-covering...teacher paranoia...overcrowding..administrative back scratching and Union muscle...I will never be going back.
Private school:
We don't take the Maryland Tests: thus saving weeks of preparation. (and still score higher on SATs)
We don't have a union (no work to the bell threats and especially no dues)
We have enough space in our classrooms and textbooks for every child...

And the best news of all:
we kick out the ones who can't cut it academically, socially, or financially.
(How about that endorsement for survival of the fittest! :lmao: )

Congratulations on getting out! :yay:

I quit teaching in public schools for many years, but then we moved to a county that was "better". Being older and wiser now, I ignore the union, I won't work to the bell and I don't pay dues...it's great to be a grownup! I think a lot of the dues go to promoting liberal candidates in government, though they tell you that isn't true, we are always getting fliers about liberal candidates who are "friendly" to education...

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Kain99 said:
Last night I spend 20 minutes building your ego... Now look at me! :lol:
Is that what you were doing? :huggy: Good thing you "spent" it doing something instead of wasting it. Besides you are fully aware that my comment was just a little affectionate ribbing taken with that opening you readily provided. You know I love ya' Baby. :killingme

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
vraiblonde said:
My across-the-street neighbor is a new teacher and she said the exact same thing - that the unions come in with these scare tactics about how parents can accuse you of whatever and the only thing standing between you and prison is the union lawyer. :rolleyes:

She says they take $60 a month out of her paycheck for her union dues. What a rip.

Texas... no unions. :yay:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Hessian said:
My middle school history kids failed the midterm by droves... despite two days of review, collecting/correcting all their tests, handing out a review sheet, asking questions off an old midterm...telling them what they each need to attain their goal-grade.

and I had scores in the 30's & 40's.
Sure I had a core of solid B+ kids and my overall bell is still averaging about a 74/75...

screw um...they had so many opportunities to get serious, how many classes on how to study...how many wasted study halls when they showed no initiave to ask for an old test or "help me review..."

I have told a bunch of them that if I were their Boss...they'd be fired.

My Dad graded teacher entrance exams from SUNY (State University of NY) and after 26 years in the classroom: he was appalled with the quality of the essays he reviewed....had to control his bile while reading.

Lets face it...society WILL divide between the knowledgeable and the Kennedys. There's just so far the Nagins of this world can go. Those that are homeschooling are miles ahead of their peers....sadly, private schools are only slightly better than public---because of what is being dumped out of the public schools.

So...what's my role? To sort out those who are intellectually gifted and motivated and push them as far as they can go...and those who's world is MTV and teen mags & corn rows:...show them the door.

As Mr King jr. said..."judged by the contents of their character."

It's easy to teach the smart kids.. it takes a GREAT teacher and a better person to take a mediocre student, or a failing student and get them to their potential.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
itsbob said:
it takes a GREAT teacher and a better person to take a mediocre student, or a failing student and get them to their potential.
Wanker :smack:

To hell with that. Many a business tycoon was a mediocre or failing student. They said that dropping out of school was the best thing that ever happened to them because it freed them to pursue their real interests. So I say give 'em the boot - sink or swim time.